Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Delta cam or any aftermarket cam in 93 automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta cam or any aftermarket cam in 93 automatic

I was looking into getting a aftermarket cam for my 93 automatic. So far I haven't found any recent information about it. From what I've read it's a lot of hassle to make it work right. My motor and transmission are strong. I realize more power will tear up an automatic transmission. I'm not trying to race all around town. I just want the get up and go for passing on the freeway or entering freeways. I do plan on doing the manual swap in the future after the tranny does quit. In the meantime I want the extra ponies and torque. Is it worth it or should I focus my attention on other mods?

Is an upgraded cam worth it? Yes.
    Should you focus your attention on other mods? Yes.

Depending on what your end goals are, putting in a upgraded cam right now may not be the way to go, but it's also not the worst. Have you upgraded anything, such as intake manifold and/or exhaust?

I bought a stage 2 Bisimoto cam years ago (for my automatic) and it was a POS. I could never get it to run correctly. And knowing what I know about Bisi, chances are I got a poorly done regrind that was worse than stock. Sad thing is that this regrind may have been performed by WEB cams... so I'm skeptical about WEB now.

A Delta 262 or 272 is the way to go. Both will work with factory valve train, but upgrading your valve springs wouldn't be a bad idea (after all these are almost 30 year old vehicles).
    Gude also makes a reliable regrind that will perform.

Both will do wonders with a proper tune and supporting mods, just be prepared to kill your transmission sooner than later.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

The Delta 260 has always been the automatic camshaft of choice. It's mild enough that it doesn't really require an ECU tune (though a tune certainly wouldn't hurt.) Tuning for automatics can be tricky. Doable, certainly, but it's not quite as straightforward as with manual.
      Slap in a Delta 260, adjust your valves properly, make sure your ignition and fuel systems are functioning properly, and you should be good to go! Should have no need of any other mods.
      I'd stay away from an adjustable cam gear, as they can be a pain in the ass to set properly (and without a dyno, you may never be able to make proper use of one.)

You'll also want to allow the engine to breathe better to take advantage of the camshaft. An engine can only breathe as well as its worst bottleneck. An H23A1 intake manifold, 2.25" exhaust, and a DC Sport header would do wonders (you could even replace the header's collector with a larger one for increased gains.) Keep your catalytic converter, and don't bother with a cold air intake. A short ram intake is fine, if you get a quality filter... the stock intake piping, while not pretty, works quite well, however.

To prolong your transmission's life, change the fluid out for some fresh Honda fluid (I wouldn't use anything else, as these transmissions can be picky.) Install a good transmission fluid cooler (not terribly expensive) and you'll greatly increase your transmissions chance of survival. Sadly, many of these automatics have been abused by careless and ignorant previous owners. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that are thoroughly unaware that transmission fluid should be changed. I don't doubt that there are CBs still running around with their original transmission fluid in them!

Comment

Working...
      X