No announcement yet.

Lets talk spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot Weld the chassis. Takes quite a bit of time though.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by trah View Post
      i've seen one of those on a friends miata @ a scca event in texas. I mean it outperformed out all the miatas without the underbody subframe/brace. either you do it yourself or buy it either way its going to be pretty expensive.
      U don't have to get one that's that elaborate... I'm thinkin of gettin some steel rods just welded up, even that would make a big difference

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
        Tein is crap. Period. They're overpriced, and so not worth the money. But the others I find pretty good for off-the-shelf coilovers. I remember when D2 first came out, it outperformed Tein SS like there's no tomorrow...And after that out come the Megan Racing coilovers (N1 EX-V equivalent) and now BC Racing coilovers, both can be ordered with custom spring rates and they will do the custom shock valving according to those custom spring rates...Monotube shocks (44mm and 46mm), pillowball tops, great adjustability, affordable for true coilovers..Can't complain!!

As for Progress RSB..Like I said, haven't experienced understeer ever since I installed it on my car!

Anyways, G-Man, for the front spring rates, do you want them to be soft? Because I feel that my 14K (780lbs/in) front springs are still a bit too soft for my driving...I'm thinking that 16K front and 10K rear will be ideal, but maybe it's a different story when it comes to auto-crossing?

Ronald
        In autox you don't want everything as stiff as possible so there is no flex at all.

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
        Naw

Sub frame

They go a long way in stiffening shit up... I'm gonna get a set made on my next car
        I am pretty sure that would be illegal in my class. But nobody can see the underside anyways, haha.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Unless tech is really strict =D. You can make some cheap under braces for the car which shouldnt be hard. There are some points you can tie together. ranging from inside the cabin on the rear floorboard to places in the trunk. Under the car I would have to look at for parts to tie together.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
            Tein is crap. Period. They're overpriced, and so not worth the money. But the others I find pretty good for off-the-shelf coilovers. I remember when D2 first came out, it outperformed Tein SS like there's no tomorrow...And after that out come the Megan Racing coilovers (N1 EX-V equivalent) and now BC Racing coilovers, both can be ordered with custom spring rates and they will do the custom shock valving according to those custom spring rates...Monotube shocks (44mm and 46mm), pillowball tops, great adjustability, affordable for true coilovers..Can't complain!!

As for Progress RSB..Like I said, haven't experienced understeer ever since I installed it on my car!

Anyways, G-Man, for the front spring rates, do you want them to be soft? Because I feel that my 14K (780lbs/in) front springs are still a bit too soft for my driving...I'm thinking that 16K front and 10K rear will be ideal, but maybe it's a different story when it comes to auto-crossing?

Ronald
            yep I concur that Tein SS is not meant for track use, things are super soft! Max dampening on front and rear isnt as teeth clattering as my friend's koni and skunk2 set up. Only thing ss is good for is "comfort" but I believe you can get the same level with GC and Koni at half the price, but glad I got mine for super cheap otherwise I'd been angry hehe.

I read online to have the rears stiffer than the fronts for FWD. RWD guys have the front stiffer. Talking to some people having the rear stiffer aids in nose diving through turns, helps push the car through them I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
              In autox you don't want everything as stiff as possible so there is no flex at all.
              you don't want it stiff...but you want no flex?
              ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                Re-read that sentence again, there is not but clause.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                  because if there is no flex, then there is no weight transfer. the tires would just break traction (especially on slicks or really hard sidewall tires). if there is no flex, you cannot feel the car roll, it will kinda just feel like a go-kart except it doesnt handle anywhere near a go kart because it is a uni-body.

in auto-x, you need to set the car up for the turn. majority of braking needs to be done before the turn especially on a fwd because the tire's contact can only handle so much gas/brake/turning at one time.

has G-man tried left foot braking? i want to try it in this month's auto-x. jump on the brakes before the turn and feather after the apex. i feel standard foot position has too much of a delay.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

What you speak of is trail braking it works really nice but you have to learn to control that left foot. First time I did it I pressed just a bit too hard it wasnt fun but you eventually find a good median.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ahhh...i 75% understand now...and I use the left foot for braking all the time...not like what you guys are talking

took practice , second time I tried it...damn near flew out the windshield HA HA...thanks seat belt...found out how good my brake are though
                      ____

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

has G-man tried left foot braking? i want to try it in this month's auto-x. jump on the brakes before the turn and feather after the apex. i feel standard foot position has too much of a delay.
                        I have seen people left foot brake before, but they were in automatics and needed to keep the car from shifting.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

It is mostly done on FWD vehicles from what I have seen. It helps keep the car in the powerband while going through the corner. Its like brake boosting your car for the turbo to spool up before you go at it...kind of the same concept.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I have seen people left foot brake before, but they were in automatics and needed to keep the car from shifting.
                            i was under the influence one time and i was left foot braking in my DD. it's hard because the brake pedal is so damn skinny. felt like i was crushing my balls.

just got back from gokarting and im very confident with the left foot braking technique. just shaved 2 seconds off my lap time
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Re-read that sentence again, there is not but clause.
                              heh heh...you said but clause...heh heh

go-karts ftw!!!
                              ____

Comment

Problem with karting is that you cant jam on the brake and accel at the same time or you can bind the chain. Not a fun thing. Shifter karts are a slightly different story.

The New-ish Ride
                                My old Ride
                                Hear my Vtak!!!
                                MK3 Member #3
                                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                                X