Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Noob questions for H swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what did you do for the map sensor? They told me to use the map sensor on the H22's tb, and just delete that black vacuum box with the map sensor.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

The engine I bought is a OBD-1 1992-1995 JDM H22 from H motorsonline.
      The MAP sensor I used was the stock one for the F22. It is in the black box mounted on the fire wall on the passanger side. All of the H22's I've seen have all been OBD-1 and they did not have a MAP sensor on the throttle body.
      I was told that the throttle body with the MAP sensor mounted on it was an OBD-2 thing but, I DO NOT know this to for sure.

Comment

There isn't a way to get rid of that black box is there? /:

JDM powered CB7

Comment

The distributor was real easy, I just wanted everything to plug in correctly I didn't want to cut and splice anthing.

All I did was to carefuly take apart the H distributor, I made note where the peices came out from and how they were arranged I laid them out for a refrence when I took them apart. I used the F22 distributor so I could learn more honda distributors. All I needed was the internals of the F distributor so I could put them into the H distributor housing. I used the F distributor to learn how to take one apart

You must remove the distributor shaft from the distributors to take them apart. There is a snap ring that goes around locator tab, this is the tab that goes into the cam when installing the distributor.
          There is an indexing mark on the bottom of the distributor. It is a line that is machined on the tab and there is one on the bottom of the body of the distributor, when they are lined up the rotor is also lined up.
          You remove the snap-ring and then you can see and remove the taper pin that goes through the locator tab and the distributor shaft holding them in place. Remove the locator tab, Once this is done turn distributor over. DO NOT MIX H and F parts keep separate.
          Undo everything you can on the top part up the distributor then there is 3 or 4 screwes holding an aluminum divider plate in place. There are more connections below, THIS is why you have to remove the distributor shaft. I tapped the shaft out carefuly with a hammer and a brass punch, and that's it. You need to remove the items below the plate as well and that's all.

Clean it I put some fresh grease where the bearing is in the bottom and put some on the distributor shaft where the bearing will be but not a lot. Then re-assemble, just reversing the process. Make sure the rotor is pointing to number 1 cylinder position, then replace the locator tab making sure the index mark lines up put the taper pin back in place and re-install the snap ring and doubble check your work. I think that was all.
          Almost 2 years and 10 K miles not a single hitch. The reason I know you can have the index mark wrong is because I did it, I had the distributor 180 degrees out of time. I matched the index mark up but did not doubble check the rotor position.

Comment

Map sensor swap thread. I did this about a year ago.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...3&page=2&pp=20

steve

Comment

Thank you both so much!
              Now I'm just waiting for all my parts to arrive and I can get to doing this swap.
              This is my first swap ever, I can barely wait.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

JDM powered CB7

Comment

I've hit a problem. I'm missing the motor mount stud on the engine:
                  Could I tap out the stud from the F after I've taken it out and put it on the H? How would I do that?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

There's not supposed to be a stud there. It looks good to go to me.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Oh okay. I was a little worried for a sec. So it's only supposed to have one?

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Originally posted by Flushcb View Post
                        Oh okay. I was a little worried for a sec. So it's only supposed to have one?
                        yes... google h22a cb7 youll get a lot of pictures... but now to the important part.. that engine looks like its been sitting in the elements for years..you dont have an upper timing belt cover.. you need to replace your timing belt and balance shaft belts and check over all the idler pulley and belt cogs. clean the surface rust off and do a once over. whatever jackass that thought itd be cooler to not have the upper timing cover was terribly wrong.get a new cover. Its not cool not having one..until the day you actually dont and need to cut cam pulley reliefs into the valve cover.
                        Id also go in and change the seals that have been sitting exposed, I bet the cam seals on the timing side are hard as rock now. Im sure all the seals are oem. Im just trying to save you heartache down the road. Plop that engine in as it sits and youll have a pretty boat anchor before you roll 10,000 miles.. but whatev its your stuff. good luck

edit: Oh I see the aftermarket timing belt tensioner pulley(no upper timing cover explained).. thats more of a B series thing. The timing cover is a lot more important then that wheel on a stock engine.
                        Last edited by illinois_erik; 12-25-2013, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I'll get to all that soon, I figured it would have a few bad seals. /: I'll be ordering some tomorrow then. I appreciate your help btw!

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Originally posted by Flushcb View Post
                            I'll get to all that soon, I figured it would have a few bad seals. /: I'll be ordering some tomorrow then. I appreciate your help btw!
                            good man, yw .. i just shake my head when people are amped up to swap in an H and do it fast, but keep the 20+ year old rubber inside, thrash on them then on here asking about leaking oil..coolant..blown up motor etc.,. I found a FULL gasket kit for fairly cheap and Ive been pleased with them. It includes 99% of everything
                            http://www.yonaka.com/Complete_Engin..._p/ymgk006.htm

When I ordered mine I found it on *bay for ~89 bucks. Gates timing belt. Password JDM billet cam seal plug.

If you have any more questions just ask, were all here to help. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                              good man, yw .. i just shake my head when people are amped up to swap in an H and do it fast, but keep the 20+ year old rubber inside, thrash on them then on here asking about leaking oil..coolant..blown up motor etc.,. I found a FULL gasket kit for fairly cheap and Ive been pleased with them. It includes 99% of everything
                              http://www.yonaka.com/Complete_Engin..._p/ymgk006.htm

When I ordered mine I found it on *bay for ~89 bucks. Gates timing belt. Password JDM billet cam seal plug.

If you have any more questions just ask, were all here to help. Good luck

Thank you! Yeah I'm amped to do this swap but I want it to be done the right way, so no leaks or oil being burned.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

H22 are known to use some oil. SO don't be too bummed if you burn some oil.

Mineral spirits prob would have been easier to use to clean the motor rather than your shower.

steve

Comment

Working...
                                X