X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Painting stock accord alloys

Painting a set of stock Accord alloy wheels DIY

Written by: me, of course

Tools: sandpaper (50/150 grit), 2-3 cans of your choice of color spray paint (krylon or rustoleum [if doing black, use flat or semi-flat black] OR pep boys wheel paint [better suited for gunmetal, white, etc. colors]), AND 1-2 cans of clearcoat.

The How-To:

1. Clean your wheels all around (inside and out) real good. I reccommend using a heavy duty degreaser and a scrounge pad.

2. Totally sand down your wheels (i used 150 grit paper). This will help the paint stick a little better.

3. Mask off your tires, so that you won't get overspray on them.

4. Using your spray paint, spray 3-4 light, even coats of paint onto both the inside and outside of each individual rim. Remember to wait a few minutes between each coat. Let them dry for at least an hour before handling them (they still won't be FULLY dry after 1 hr.).

5. Wait 2-3 days, and add 1-2 light, even coats of clearcoat if you want to. this is really optional though (if you want the shine/glossy look). go easy on the clearcoat though, or your wheels will become super glossy.

here's what the finished wheels should look like (flat black painted '92 EX alloys shown below):

They look really good, what about the other style wheel (the turbine style wheel) how do you think those would turn out?
    - Phase 1ne, get off of lazy arse and put in h23, then do some bodywork and paint

Comment

Very nice how to!!! I have the same rims. I'm probably gonna do this next summer. I have a scrape ring, however, around the rear drivers' side wheel...will this make it deformed? Should I get a new rear drivers' side rim? Again, good how-to! 10/10
      + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Once they're black they look better without the center caps on them. I may even get the Spoon blue lug nuts for that "JDM" look.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

yeah... just yesterday i threw these wheels back on for the winter. the two front nittos i had on the 17's were shredded on the insides from back before i got the camber kit. it was so bad... the metal strips holding the tire together were showing through

so, i figured... to delay me having to spend over 200 dollars for a set of new tires right now, why not just throw the EX wheels back on? it's also about to be winter time anyways.

i'll get more pics tomorrow.

anyways... this is a pretty simple DIY.

cell7dotORG: which wheels are you talking about? the other stock CB7 EX alloys? those would look good in either black or gunmetal. gunmetal might look nice on those. but black is pretty neutral man. black is just... black. you know? it won't matter what style the wheel is really.

JDM CB: don't worry about the scrape. is the scrape on the center cap? if so, just don't put the center caps on. like you said, the wheels look better w/o the caps in black finish anyways. if the scrape is on the actual wheel, just sand it down as best as you can. if it's too deep, you might not be able to just sand it down though.

Comment

yeah, sadly it's on the wheel. The center caps are screwed aven worse. I'll get a pic of the wheel up for ya later. Thanks for the how-to!

. Snail Squad .

Comment

here's my rear driver's side...

Can it be done well? If you need a closer pic let me know.
              Attached Files

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Originally posted by JDM CB
                here's my rear driver's side...

Can it be done well? If you need a closer pic let me know.
                yeah, you can work with that. like i said... just try and do a good job of sanding those scratches down. i would suggest using a block sander... they usually help you sand much more evenly.

Comment

here are some more pics of my black 15"s (you might need to brighten your screen a little, the wheels get blacked out on dark screen settings):

Comment

that looks great on ur car... im about to go out and take off my *** lx hubcaps until i get better rims.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                      that looks great on ur car... im about to go out and take off my *** lx hubcaps until i get better rims.
                      thanks man. good luck on your search for a new set of wheels. remember, you can always get a set of EX wheels from a 4th or 5th gen... and do this DIY. OR you can even get them powdercoated black. either way, it'll be cheaper than buying a brand new set of wheels.

new wheels would be nice too though.

Comment

OH MY!!!!

*drops dead*

I am sooooo doing that!

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Originally posted by accordtunerx
                          cell7dotORG: which wheels are you talking about? the other stock CB7 EX alloys? those would look good in either black or gunmetal. gunmetal might look nice on those. but black is pretty neutral man. black is just... black. you know? it won't matter what style the wheel is really.
                          Yeah, the Wagon has the stock wheels like the ones in accordztech sig. I will give it a try, once I can get a spare set of rollers for it (maybe I can con my buddy into letting me use his Circuit 8's for a few days, lol (doubtful). If I do it, I'll post some pics.
                          - Phase 1ne, get off of lazy arse and put in h23, then do some bodywork and paint

Comment

I love the wheels! You motivated me to paint my stocks! Im gonig to try white i'll let you know how it turns out. -224-

Comment

thanks for the comments guys. i too love the way these wheels look. they really add to the accord's jdm styling. i'm definitely going to get these professionally powdercoated black when the money accumulates - but for now... the DIY job that i've done is holding up nicely. no chips whatsoever. just make sure that you do a real good job of spraying the inside of that little lip. that's the only area that started to fade on mine. but i just touched them up this weekend, so they look better now.

Comment

Working...
                              X