Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: Custom Front Grill v. II (blacked out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much shine will it make?

I like the flat look... but I don't want to paint it every week
    + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

clear coat that bitch until you can see the shine of the dirt, mah man.. you needa get ur car blingin =p u dun wanna be flat looking, super shiney black is helllllla nice look . good diy tho..

Comment

Originally posted by JDM CB
        how much shine will it make?

I like the flat look... but I don't want to paint it every week
        you can get a satin finish clear coat. it still leaves a pretty flat look while still protecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by fr0zen
          clearcoat will help protect the paint and give it a little more shine. i would recommend it if you dont wanna paint it over again everytime something hits your grill. a couple coats of clearcoat will protect it from getting chipped.

the first time i painted my grill i didnt use clearcoat and after a week or so of driving it had chips all over it.
          hey frozen what kind of clear coat would be the best for the job, cuz mine is chipped liek crazy too

Comment

Originally posted by kings_blend
            hey frozen what kind of clear coat would be the best for the job, cuz mine is chipped liek crazy too
            i don't think it really matters. i used krylon because krylon will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

good write up.
              i used a little bit different method, in that i sanded it down a little bit before paint.
              during the painting process, i used about 10 coats (literally) of paint without any clear coat. still looks good without any chips (has been about 4 months now).

so, jdm cb, use tons of coats, the more the better. it won't hurt anything.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

So like wheres the pics, eh? Lookin' good though. I've been meaning to do that to my grill too. Just need to obtain a new grill first.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
                  good write up.
                  i used a little bit different method, in that i sanded it down a little bit before paint.
                  during the painting process, i used about 10 coats (literally) of paint without any clear coat. still looks good without any chips (has been about 4 months now).

so, jdm cb, use tons of coats, the more the better. it won't hurt anything.
                  We put on the 2nd coat today so we'll see how it looks. We're probably gonna pick up some clear coat so we'll see how that works. Xplode, see...i really don't want all that bling bling shiny stuff...that's why I did away with the chrome grill... But I'm going for a very low profile JDM sorta look. Nothing flash...just a very suttle maybe even boring look. But, hey, I like it.

Thanks for the responses regarding the how-to's. This is the first in many that will go down soon.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

boring is cool too man

Comment

Final product for me...

Attached Files

. Snail Squad .

Comment

sweet! slap that bitch on and lets see it on the car!
                        MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
                        i pulled over and looked under the hood.
                        the engine was still there...
                        ...silly light!

Comment

Here it is on my car, great DIY write up, mine is on the 90-91....its a little easier since the emblem comes out and you can paint it. The outer piece is chrome and the inner piece is black, so I painted the inner piece with a semi gloss black and the outer chrome piece duplicolor honda (my color), don't know if this is border line thread jacking......

And from further away:
                          No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

thanks for the compliments on the write up guys!

so you just painted it the ame color as the car? that's what it looks like. I was gonna do that but the white would'a looked soopid imo.

I'm probably gonna wait for a little while to actually slap it onto the car just because the weather sucks ass anyway so I want to keep it as nice as I can for as long as possible. If you want to see it just for demo purposes I can slap it on for a few minutes then take it back off. lol

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Ya I had it painted black, but thought it might look better color coated....and trust me it looks pretty good in person. I do need to add at least 1-2 coats of clear coat to have it match a little more, but not bad for a 5 dollar DIY, its a hell of a lot better than the nasty chrome from factory.
                              No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

fo sho!

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Working...
                                X