Another h22 swap not running correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another h22 swap not running correctly

car runs smoother but I'm still not getting the full power of the h22. It takes a while for the car to pick up and if I drop the car into first gear from a stop it sounds like it stutters about 2-3 times and will sometimes backfire through the intake and make a loud POP.
    I just re-checked and adjusted all my ex. valves to .008 and my in. valves to .006 so my clearances are good. I also just re-did my timing belt.

basically these are my symptoms:
    1. low power, hesitates throughout power band.
    2. when barely opening the throttle, the engine will surge up and down. but once it passes a certain point will stop surging.
    2. when starting from a stop, between 1k-2k the car will stutter a few times and sometimes pop from the intake. (I do have adjustable cam gears, should I possibly advance or retard the intake a bit to rid the popping issue? off by a tooth maybe?)
    3. the rad fans won't come on, but car temp gauge doesn't say I'm overheating. I wired on of the fans to a switch just in case. - planning to replace ect sensor to fix this
    4. it's just eaating through gas. -hopefully changing the o2 sensor will fix this and maybe get rid of my code 41. I'm running a straight pipe as well... would this cause my o2 to trip?
    5. When I start the car, the idle will surge a few times and drop to a constant 600 - 1k. it surges less when the engine is warm.

things I have been researching and plan on doing:
    - tps calibration.
    - fuel cap/filter replacement
    - NGK spark plugs instead of these crappy bosches

EDIT: I was getting codes 9, 12, 22, and 41. 9 and 12 are gone. 22 and 41 remain

possible code 22 fixes:
    - continuity checks on the vtec wiring to check for shorts or breaks
    - soldering the harness connections instead of using barrel connectors.

possible fixes for code 41:
    - check tightness of o2 sensor
    - check for shorts/breaks in wiring
    - try new one

I'll try to get a running vid bc I know hearing and seeing it would be a lot of help.

Are my reasoning's and basic logics on the right path? bc this car is seriously makin me loco. kills me that the car is SLOWER than BEFORE.
    Last edited by Freshagen; 09-02-2011, 02:03 AM.
    Patiently Waiting.

MRT

map sensor..have you tried changing that yet?

Comment

no I haven't. wouldn't the ecu throw a map code? like code 5 for MAP?
      Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

Who are the cam gears made by?
        Do you have factory ones that you can reinstall?

Go ahead and get in that iacv, clean it out, then open up the fitv and screw the wax plunger all the way down if you havent done so already.

I would first get all your codes situated, that's going to be your best place to start.
        Then report back.
        1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
        1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
        Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

Originally posted by 91H22ACB7 View Post
          Who are the cam gears made by?
          Do you have factory ones that you can reinstall?

Go ahead and get in that iacv, clean it out, then open up the fitv and screw the wax plunger all the way down if you havent done so already.

I would first get all your codes situated, that's going to be your best place to start.
          Then report back.
          skunk 2. no I don't. the motor only had 1 with it hence why I bought the skunk 2 ones.
          Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

I see, you can gears. My cousins cb had that same problem with his cb h22, he had AEM cam gears...we advanced them and that same problem you have went away and vtec even kicked in harder...

I would double check if your cam timing is correct, and advance them, you'll like it....but first make sure the cam timing is at spec...

Map sensor would throw a code, but it could be faulty and not throw a code.....sometimes.

Comment

which way is to advance on the gears?
              Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

ignition timing for the poping an low power when i did my swap it was doing that my car was retarded. towards the intake = advance, retard to the exhaust.
                Last edited by GearBangnAccord; 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM.
                Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

so loosening the cam and rotating the crank toward intake (clockwise) is to advance?
                  Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Freshagen View Post
                    so loosening the cam and rotating the crank toward intake (clockwise) is to advance?
                    That's correct. There should be notches with numbers on the cam gears. There should also be an 'R' for retard and an 'A' for advance. Don't just arbitrarily advance the gears. Do about 1 or 2 degrees at a time.

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

Comment

a big part of the problem may be that its running off 2 cylinders. I pulled the # 2 and # 3 cylinder spark plug tubes while the car was running and nothing happens. when I pull #1 or #4 the engine will sputter and want to die. time to compression test. I hope the head gasket isn't blown... or my rings aren't fucked... or my valves aren't bent... fml. also the spark plugs on 2 and 3 are covered in black shit.. I'm going to check to see if I can get a spark to bridge from the 2 and 3 boots to a ground somewhere. any other suggestions?
                      Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

whats up i remember talking to you a loooong time ago on here so you got that h in there or have you always had it hahaha

Comment

just got it in.

to do list:

use timing light, check ignition timing.
                          re-check cam timing/belt
                          compression test
                          leak down test
                          new spark plugs
                          check spark from boots 3 and 4
                          Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

Ol u didn't changer the spark plugs do it n report back, when u say blk shit is it on the cylinder side or plug tube side??
                            Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

cylinder side.
                              Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

Working...
                              X