Changing Axles, Will I lose Fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Axles, Will I lose Fluid?

Hey Guys, I need to put in my new CV axles this week. I'm changing both sides, am I gonna lose any fluid out of my 5 Speed tranny?

Thanks!
    I'm faster then a prius

You may lose a little. Work fast to make it as minimal as possible.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Maybe a drop. That's it.

Comment

I don't recall any coming out when I've changed either auto or manual axles, but how long has it been since the fluid in the transmission has been changed? Might be a good opportunity. I'd also recommend new axle seals as well while you've got everything apart.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          I don't recall any coming out when I've changed either auto or manual axles, but how long has it been since the fluid in the transmission has been changed? Might be a good opportunity. I'd also recommend new axle seals as well while you've got everything apart.
          I just did my 5 speed swap about 3 months ago, so it's fresh. My transmission that I got from the yard had nice looking seals on it, so I left them.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

For the record, I did make a good little puddle underneath when I switched axles. It drips out pretty fast. I don't think it was enough to be a big deal or anything, but It definitely leaked, even when switching out the axles as fast as I could.
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

A lot of that will have something to do with how the car is raised, too. If you have the car lifted in the front, or favoring a particular side, you are more prone to leaking fluid than otherwise.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

just change the seals while you're doing to axles. Takes no time at all, and gives you the piece of mind. Both seals are like $10. And the OEM fluid is 10w30, so you're out like $10 as well on a fluid change. That's my .02

Comment

Working...
                X