CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 11-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
chi
CB7tuner Member

chi is cool... so far.
How do i get my car into neutral without it running?..

Cant find the key that goes by the shifter so i can move my car into the garage,any way to get around the lock or to just move the shift linkage by hand?
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Automatic? There should be a release that you can activate with your key. I just had to do that yesterday in my 05.

If it’s manual, you should be able to move through the gears freely. If you can’t, something is broken.

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
Can't you just use another key or something shaped like a key to just depress the park release? I don't think it actually requires the key from the car, just something to press down the mechanism in the shifter assembly.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
chi
CB7tuner Member

chi is cool... so far.
Its automatic,it looks and feels like something is broke off in the key hole,i tried the ignition key for about 10mins before i shined a light down the hole. Looks like a broken knife blade lol
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
You might have to take the center console out then to actually gain access to the shifter assembly. I think you can see that area where the shift lock is on, once the console is out. Your other option is to put the key in the on position use the brake and take the car out of park without the car running. You have to leave the key in the ignition until after the car is moved then turn the key off and remove.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
chi
CB7tuner Member

chi is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
You might have to take the center console out then to actually gain access to the shifter assembly. I think you can see that area where the shift lock is on, once the console is out. Your other option is to put the key in the on position use the brake and take the car out of park without the car running. You have to leave the key in the ignition until after the car is moved then turn the key off and remove.
Tried turning the ignition to on and applying brake to shift it,its still locked when i try it. Im gonna tear the console apart when i get to the garage and see if that works..worst case scenario ill just drag it into the garage,i got a 5spd on standby lol
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Yeah, if that hole is jammed, you’re going to have to do some surgery.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
chi
CB7tuner Member

chi is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Yeah, if that hole is jammed, you’re going to have to do some surgery.
Yay me lol looks like ill be busy all day tomorrow lol
Old 11-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
chi
CB7tuner Member

chi is cool... so far.
Figured it out...threw a fresh battery in it to roll the windows down so i could try to steer the car and figured I'd try the console key one more time..it worked lol all it needed was a battery,the broken piece inside doesnt seem to bother it either,so i think I'm in the clear
Old 11-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Well, yeah. It’s an electrical release.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
chi
CB7tuner Member

chi is cool... so far.
I didnt know that it needed power to release. I feel dumb now lol
Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi View Post
I didnt know that it needed power to release. I feel dumb now lol
Actually, it doesn't (just verified this on a shifter out of the car). You don't necessarily need a key either, just something long and narrow. After inserting something into the key slot, you do still need to depress the button on the shifter handle to get it out of PARK.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

Working to relink my pictures. Please be patient. If there is one you particularly want to see, let me know.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
Actually, it doesn't (just verified this on a shifter out of the car). You don't necessarily need a key either, just something long and narrow. After inserting something into the key slot, you do still need to depress the button on the shifter handle to get it out of PARK.
The key slot next to the shifter (his is jammed), or the ignition slot?
I believe the release via the ignition slot is electrical, no? Or is there some sort of release linkage?

Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
I haven't driven my Accord enough to know, but I remember with a lot of GM vehicles once the car was parked and turned off, if you cranked on the wheel a bit you coud lock the column in place real tight, and unless you exerted some pressure on it while trying to turn the key, the ignition wouldn't unlock it (automatics only obviously).

Maybe something like this was going on?
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #15
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The key slot next to the shifter (his is jammed), or the ignition slot?
I believe the release via the ignition slot is electrical, no? Or is there some sort of release linkage?
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, when using the key in the ignition, the release is electrical. When using a key (or any other long enough narrow object) in the slot in the shifter, it is mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
I haven't driven my Accord enough to know, but I remember with a lot of GM vehicles once the car was parked and turned off, if you cranked on the wheel a bit you coud lock the column in place real tight, and unless you exerted some pressure on it while trying to turn the key, the ignition wouldn't unlock it (automatics only obviously).

Maybe something like this was going on?
It didn't physically lock it; if you crank the wheel over before shutting off, the force trying to return the wheel position gets reacted against the locking pin making it very difficult to turn the key (I suppose even to the point of breaking something - effectively locking it) to retract the pin from the locking slot. This happens occasionally in my Accords for the same reason. As you stated, you have to "unload" the steering wheel to allow the locking pin to slide. This should have no effect on being able to release the shifter mechanically via the key slot in the shifter.

Last edited by fleetw00d; 11-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: