Suspension Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Compatibility

So I've been considering reviving my cb, and with it upgrading things along the way, with one of them being suspension, however trying to find compatible parts by our cars makes/models (or at least the listings for them) are disappearing. As such, I'm wondering what other vehicles in Honda/Acura's line-up have compatible/usable suspension that can be used.

I checked the sticky's as it's been a while, but not seeing this information in them, and thought it would be beneficial to clarify given the age of our cars, and difficulty finding new parts, what parts are compatible from other vehicles we can use in our search for them?

e.g. I know 90-97 Accord suspension is compatible.

TLDR: what vehicles can we use shocks from, and same with springs?

Edit: It appears 97-99 Acura CL parts are compatible, any others?
    Last edited by cloudasc; 05-19-2020, 08:43 PM.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Are you asking about used parts from other Hondas, or are you looking for other similar platforms for which to explore aftermarket options?

The cars that are more or less the same, suspension-wise, to the CB are:

'94-'97 Accord
    '97-'99 CL
    '92-'94 Vigor
    '95-'98 TL
    And then the Ascot and Inspire for similar years in other markets.

As you can probably guess, the '90-'97 Accords are by far the most popular chassis on that list, and will be the ones the aftermarket markets themselves toward the most.

I'm being told by dreamability that the Koni yellows for this chassis have been or are being discontinued. That's where I'd look first. Then a set of moderate rate springs. If you can find a Progress 22mm rear sway bar, grab it! Otherwise, the '97-'99 Acura 3.0CL has a 16mm rear bar, compared to the 14mm rear bar found in the CB EX/SE models.

Brake options are nearly endless, but the same still holds true for 4-lug upgraders in that there is only one rotor-over-hub option. The '98-'99 2.3CL front hubs. Utilizing those you'll have the choice between the OEM-diameter 10.2" rotors, or you can step up to 11.1" rotors from the '92-'96 Prelude VTEC(23mm-thick)/'98-'99 3.0CL(25mm-thick). Anything larger and you'll need to redrill a 5-lug rotor.

Without much in the way of aftermarket upgrades, lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and upper control arms remain good candidates for quality replacement parts, as well as lower shock bushings and upper control arms in the rear. The rear is the first place to show significant camber gains from lowering the vehicle, so if you opt for a slightly-more-than-modest drop, your replacement upper control arm might be best obtained in the form of an aftermarket upper camber arm, such as the ones from SPC. Fat Four Customs and Cheddas Auto both make lower control arm sets, but the main benefit to buying those new would be bushing replacement. Otherwise, a set of urethane bushings there would do great.

Address all of those and I think you'll have a fun car to drive that's still very reasonable on the street.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      Are you asking about used parts from other Hondas, or are you looking for other similar platforms for which to explore aftermarket options?

The cars that are more or less the same, suspension-wise, to the CB are:

'94-'97 Accord
      '97-'99 CL
      '92-'94 Vigor
      '95-'98 TL
      And then the Ascot and Inspire for similar years in other markets.

As you can probably guess, the '90-'97 Accords are by far the most popular chassis on that list, and will be the ones the aftermarket markets themselves toward the most.

I'm being told by dreamability that the Koni yellows for this chassis have been or are being discontinued. That's where I'd look first. Then a set of moderate rate springs. If you can find a Progress 22mm rear sway bar, grab it! Otherwise, the '97-'99 Acura 3.0CL has a 16mm rear bar, compared to the 14mm rear bar found in the CB EX/SE models.

Brake options are nearly endless, but the same still holds true for 4-lug upgraders in that there is only one rotor-over-hub option. The '98-'99 2.3CL front hubs. Utilizing those you'll have the choice between the OEM-diameter 10.2" rotors, or you can step up to 11.1" rotors from the '92-'96 Prelude VTEC(23mm-thick)/'98-'99 3.0CL(25mm-thick). Anything larger and you'll need to redrill a 5-lug rotor.

Without much in the way of aftermarket upgrades, lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and upper control arms remain good candidates for quality replacement parts, as well as lower shock bushings and upper control arms in the rear. The rear is the first place to show significant camber gains from lowering the vehicle, so if you opt for a slightly-more-than-modest drop, your replacement upper control arm might be best obtained in the form of an aftermarket upper camber arm, such as the ones from SPC. Fat Four Customs and Cheddas Auto both make lower control arm sets, but the main benefit to buying those new would be bushing replacement. Otherwise, a set of urethane bushings there would do great.

Address all of those and I think you'll have a fun car to drive that's still very reasonable on the street.
      Excellent information! I am looking at getting Koni Yellows + Neuspeed Race springs, and part of the reason behind this request, as Koni doesn't list them anymore in their catalog for Accords, but there are still some advertised for CL's available. Also thanks for the reminder about all the bushings and stuff, last I checked everything was still in pretty good shape for them, but won't know for sure until I get under it again, will add them to the spreadsheet I have going.

Any recommendations on brands that still sell urethane bushing sets for front and rear? (Energy Suspension and SPC resonates in the back of my head).

If camber kits are advised with a 2.25" drop, who still makes quality kits for our cars?

Also, thanks for the brake information, I did see the sticky on that, figure when it's time for new rotors, would just keep it HOR but upgrade to Wagon Rotors/Calipers. For the bracket, is there a part number? (Or is that what Honda calls a "Splash Shield"?)

Thanks Jarrett, glad to see a familiar name still around here and doing well, hope everyone is staying happy and health in your neck of the woods.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Cloudsac poly bushings from a few companies.

Front: Energy Suspension and Prothane

Rear: Prothane

Camber: SPC makes both adjustable ball joints and mounting studs that slide back and forth.

Springs: Obviously a bunch of options Nuespeed, H&R, can't even remember all of the others.

Shocks: Koni, Bilstein, KYB. I'm not sure if the Koni's were designed to use a lowering spring or not. But if they are not you are going to need extended top hats to compensate for the shortened stroke of the piston from the lowering springs. This is a good bit of added cost, FFC Front Extended top hats and Cheddas Auto Extended Rear top hats. By the time your into springs, shocks, and extended top hats, you might have just been better off spending the money on decent coil overs.

Strut tower bars take a lot of flex out of the chassis and are also highly recoomended as well as a stiffer rear sway bar. Aucra CL, ST, or Progressive.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Koni yellows have a shortened body, so the travel range is moved down a bit. Therefore, extended top hard aren't necessary. That said, I have them front and back on mine just in case.

Yeah, I'd recently heard they were discontinued, but I'd like to think that some vendors still have stock somewhere. I bought all of mine from Autoanything.com a few years back. For multiple cars, actually.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Koni yellows have a shortened body, so the travel range is moved down a bit. Therefore, extended top hard aren't necessary. That said, I have them front and back on mine just in case.

Yeah, I'd recently heard they were discontinued, but I'd like to think that some vendors still have stock somewhere. I bought all of mine from Autoanything.com a few years back. For multiple cars, actually.
            Yes The Koni Yellows for our part numbers have been discontinued.
            As for the vendors, almost all of them that show them in stock do not actually have them,
            (most the ones I contacted have corrected this now however some have not).
            Although after a week of intense hunting I was able to get one Front Left and one Rear from SoHi Preformance,(they still had 4 more front lefts),
            One Front Right from The Tire Rack,(this is the only one they had),
            and one Rear direct from Koni,(they said this was the only one they had).
            I think I was pretty fortunate and just in time to piece together a set
            and for now others if persistent can too.
            Now I can order my Ground Control.
            Best of Luck.

Note: Searching for the Yellows by part number only was helpful in zeroing in on who actually had stock.
            Also be sure to contact any vendor prior to actually purchasing online to ensure they actually have them.
            Right: 8041 1185RSport
            Left: 8041 1185LSport
            Rear: 8041 1168SP4
            Last edited by dreamability; 05-27-2020, 01:38 AM.
            My YouTube channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWG...y6tJ7wJMI4J8vA
            Instagram
            https://www.instagram.com/dreamability71/
            Members Ride.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210942

Comment

Working...
            X