Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i test the coil for a 93 accord lx????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i test the coil for a 93 accord lx????

i don't own a manual like i should and after trouble shooting we have narrowed it down to what we think is either the coil or ignitor. since i get to spend unexpected money on this i really don't have the extra cash for a manual now too. we have a tester. does anyone know the codes if we test the coil? it is what i believe you call an enternal one where it was in a little box thing and we had to open it up. if anybody can help i would greatly appreciate it.

got to test it for resistance for primary and secondary windings
    92 accord dx....traded
    97 accord ex....traded
    93 civic si ....stolen
    96 tercel ....sold
    97 ek hatch b17 ..traded
    97 civic 4door b16 sold
    04 tsx traded ...for a honda coupe (top secret)

Comment

just a note, the coil, not sure about the igniter too, but the coil can test fine either cold or hot and vica versa, but can fail under different temperature conditions and the resistence changes. let me know if you need the resistence numbers and ill get them tonight for you.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
        just a note, the coil, not sure about the igniter too, but the coil can test fine either cold or hot and vica versa, but can fail under different temperature conditions and the resistence changes. let me know if you need the resistence numbers and ill get them tonight for you.
        yes yes yes i do!!! i would really appreciate it. thanks for the tip too. at this rate it looks as though we may go ahead and replace the ignitor and coil. but still i would appreciate those numbers.

Comment

Just went through the same ordeal....on my 90 it was easier to replace the whole distributor b/c the ignition tested bad ($65) and the dist. cap and rotor needed replaced ($30) and the coil tested good but like it was said earlier the coil can test different depending on temp. In adition to that alot of the wires were dry rotted. So the new dist was 200 but my coil is internal..after spending 3 days trouble shooting it took 10 mins and it replaced everything. just my 2 cents

Comment

http://techauto.tripod.com/s.htm hears a good link

Comment

we figured it out. it was in fact a bad coil. my husband went to o'reilly planning to buy a new coil and ignitor and ended up going ahead and buying a chilton manual since it was only $17 and a new coil bc we were pretty sure that was the problem. luckily that was it and it started on the first try after replacing it. thanks for the help everybody!

Comment

Working...
              X