Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Just bought a 93 LX wagon, got some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a 93 LX wagon, got some questions.

Hey guys, how goes it? I bought a 93 LX wagon yesterday. Paid too much, I'm sure.

As far as I know it is an f22a6 with an h23 intake manifold and throttle body, DC sports header and downpipe, it was rebuilt 100k miles ago. The body is while, straight frame, some dents and dings of course, and crappy paint. Blue interior in decent condition, but I need some new handles to open from the inside. Springs are cut, and while it rides soft the alignment is royally screwed. I do not trust it on the interstate at all (doesn't keep me from doing burnouts though). It's a good car, it seems, and I like it a lot. I paid 2600 for it.

It has some problems though, it WAS an auto, converted to five speed. The battery charge light will flicker around 3k RPM. The car did not pass emissions. It is very obviously burning oil. Smells like it when you give it throttle. It will not start up and keep running unless you give it gas for a few minutes. So, you have to start it, and give it gas around 1k RPM until it decides to start running on it's own. I don't know why. The oil smells kinda like gas, it didn't when I inspected the car, but it does now . The car is running rich. The VSS is bad. The owner said it was an o2 sensor, but he was apparently an idiot. Seemed like a nice enough guy though. Checked my ECU, got a code for a VSS. I noticed when checking the valve cover that was painted that the guy who did it didn't tape off the spark plug holes or threading for the oil cap .

Once running the engine seems to idle pretty strong, if maybe a little unevenly around 600 RPM. Starts cold and idles around 1200-1500. Anyway, I'm more of a Prelude guy, I don't know too much about these f series motors. I usually go to PreludePower, you guys might know me from there if you go to the 3rd gen section. I've been reading stuff on here for a couple of days, reading the FAQs and stuff, going through a lot of the basic info.

I've ordered some 10w30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. An o2 sensor. A VSS. A set of spark plugs. I'm planning on ordering a new timing belt, valve cover gasket set, and maybe getting some oil stabilizer. Oh, and a new Air Filter (old one is diiiiiirty).

Anyway, based on my description, would you guys recommend doing anything else? I was thinking about doing a valve adjustment while I have the cover off, then I thought, WHY NOT TIMING BELT TOO? And now I am just thinking, "Screw it, I'll pull out the motor and replace the piston rings and clean this sumbitch out." I have never rebuilt a motor though, while I've read about it a lot and I do maybe have a mechanic that would walk me through the process, it's still daunting.

What's worse is that I am trying to sell my CURRENT DD and make this my NEW DD and I already have a Prelude that I want to DD but doesn't run that I am putting an H22A into... and it's all a bunch of BS.

So, tl;dr - car won't pass emissions, wat do?

It's rare that new people with long-winded posts have the wherewithal to know to separate their thoughts to make them easier for the reader to comprehend. Thank you.

It sounds like you're on the right track. The only other things I would suggest would be other things that are typical "new-owner" maintenance items for this chassis. Clean the IACV, adjust the idle, then adjust the FITV, set the ignition timing properly, clean the EGR ports and possibly run some Seafoam through it. Other than that it seems like you're on the right path to a "t". With modified engines it may be beneficial to spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold to check for potential vacuum leaks. Other than that, good luck with the new car.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      It's rare that new people with long-winded posts have the wherewithal to know to separate their thoughts to make them easier for the reader to comprehend. Thank you.

It sounds like you're on the right track. The only other things I would suggest would be other things that are typical "new-owner" maintenance items for this chassis. Clean the IACV, adjust the idle, then adjust the FITV, set the ignition timing properly, clean the EGR ports and possibly run some Seafoam through it. Other than that it seems like you're on the right path to a "t". With modified engines it may be beneficial to spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold to check for potential vacuum leaks. Other than that, good luck with the new car.
      Thanks man. Like I said, I am not new to forum communities, so I try to make it as easy on everyone as I can.

Yeah, I was planning on doing all of that too, I dunno about that seafoam though. I swear to god, it's 50/50. It either destroys engines, steals fathers from their families, and murders kittens or it's the cure for any automotive ailment and AIDS. Just the stigma it has worries me, but worst case scenario I just drop another engine in there.

I have a JDM H22A lying around I am getting ready to put in my Prelude. I was thinking about putting it in this car. Everything I've read seems to say that it's pretty much a drop in swap, but I am worried about it A.) being a japanese motor in a USDM car and B.) having dat VTAKS YO. Are all the connectors on the stock harness? Or would I just be running without VTEC?

Comment

The best method is to use your F22A engine harness and just add the necessary wires for the H22A. That way the connectors mate up to the chassis harness just fine.

The consensus here on an Accord site is to do the work to the Accord instead of the Prelude. However, the Accord would be easy enough just to replace the engine with a refreshed F22A and be done. The Prelude is what I would devote more of the performance-oriented modifications to.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          The best method is to use your F22A engine harness and just add the necessary wires for the H22A. That way the connectors mate up to the chassis harness just fine.

The consensus here on an Accord site is to do the work to the Accord instead of the Prelude. However, the Accord would be easy enough just to replace the engine with a refreshed F22A and be done. The Prelude is what I would devote more of the performance-oriented modifications to.
          The Prelude is DEFINITELY my main project car. I just got this car as a DD because I was sick of driving an auto Civic. I do want a fun DD though. I plan on doing a bit of work to it, but mainly suspension work. The thing pulls DAMN hard as is. Maybe it's just the fact that I am not using a slush box and the springs are cut, I dunno. I always pick the only Hondas WITHOUT an aftermarket .

Strangest thing, it seems like the communities without the aftermarket support are the only ones that know what the hell they're talking about. Thanks for the help, I hope I can start giving back soon!

Comment

Seems like you have a solid setup going. I def would work on making the Accord a solid car before spending money on the Prelude.

Comment

Originally posted by sentraman View Post
              Seems like you have a solid setup going. I def would work on making the Accord a solid car before spending money on the Prelude.
              I've been putting money into the Prelude for over a year ;-;. I love it so much though, it will be worth it in the end. I'm honestly not too worried about it, I don't really NEED a car. However, do you mean solid as in reliable or solid in a more literal sense I.E. chassis reinforcement? Because, that is coming as soon as the car is reliable and has an alignment.

Comment

Working...
              X