Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

new to imports, need some direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to imports, need some direction

Hi guys, I need some help educating myself to these imports. I've twisted a wrench most of my life, and have gotten my hands dirty on more than my fair share of 12,11, and a couple of 10 second (1/4 mile) cars. But that being said, I'm finding myself completely out of my element here. I need some resources I can go to and figure out what some of the stuff I am reading means. Ordinarily, I work with carbs and v-8 engines, but the times are changing and I have a son nearing "that age" where I am going to HAVE to know these cars. Long story short, I've been trying to use the search option, but without knowing what I need to be looking for, it's not doing me much good at this point. I see alot of potential here, and look forward to learning from some of you. I just need pointed in the right direction to get started. Thanks in advance for any help.

editing this due to inclarity. TLDR: I need to learn everything about my honda, from identifying what I have currently, to understanding the components on the car, and understanding upgrades, or potential upgrades for it. And could really use some guidence in the right direction to start looking.
    Last edited by pwnprone; 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM.

Im having a hard time finding a specific question. If you're looking for bulk Honda info, google is your best friends.

Also, this site's search function can be hit or miss. Use google like this...

cb7tuner.com: (enter question/term here)

EDIT: i missed your sneaky edit...

General info can be had from either a Haynes or Chilton repair manual. it will be decent in terms of clarity and how thorough the procedures are layed out, but there will be "holes". I would go for a Honda Technicians Repair Manual. You can find digital versions online or fork over the bucks for the real deal. I can personally vouch for the Honda Manual...it will cover EVERYTHING.

EDIT #2: Let us know what you've got and we can go from there!
    Last edited by islandhopper; 03-30-2012, 11:06 PM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
      Im having a hard time finding a specific question. If you're looking for bulk Honda info, google is your best friends.

EDIT: i missed your sneaky edit...

General info can be had from either a Haynes or Chilton repair manual. it will be decent in terms of clarity and how thorough the procedures are layed out, but there will be "holes". I would go for a Honda Technicians Repair Manual. You can find digital versions online or fork over the bucks for the real deal. I can personally vouch for the Honda Manual...it will cover EVERYTHING.

EDIT #2: Let us know what you've got and we can go from there!
      thanks a bunch, I'll make sure to pick something up while I'm at the dealership monday. I recently picked up a 91 accord 2dr for pretty cheap, and from what I searched on google, led me here. I guess my biggest problem atm is trying to make sense of alot of the codes and lingo that I see tossed around. Pretty rough making the transition from 302 c.i.d. to say f22a or whatever. On a side note...thank god I have the good sense to realise it's some kind of engine reference and not a popcorn machine!

Comment

Originally posted by pwnprone View Post
        thanks a bunch, I'll make sure to pick something up while I'm at the dealership monday. I recently picked up a 91 accord 2dr for pretty cheap, and from what I searched on google, led me here. I guess my biggest problem atm is trying to make sense of alot of the codes and lingo that I see tossed around. Pretty rough making the transition from 302 c.i.d. to say f22a or whatever. On a side note...thank god I have the good sense to realise it's some kind of engine reference and not a popcorn machine!
        Nice.

Just be wary of buying the manual straight from a Honda Dealership. It WILL be spendy. Also it will most likely need to be ordered, as shops usually only have one copy for the techs...

I'm a Honda Technician and have access to all the manuals, so i never really needed to get one. But if i had to, i'd search eBay and the like...or find a digital version. you could also ask me and i'll snap a pic or four of the section you need for a specific repair.

And since you have this thread in which you're asking for help...just keep posting any and all of your questions here. I'm sure they'll get answered quickly and appropriately.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

oh, alright then, I'll do that then! Can't go wrong with saving some coin here and there XD. So, I can't help but wonder how much of an idiot the guy at the parts dept. thought he was speaking with while I was trying to order a "replacement" trans. fill tube/dipstick...turns out it was a grommet I needed hahaha!

Comment

lol...be glad you didn't get my parts guy. He's old, cranky and doesn't suffer fools.

So what trim level is your coupe? (DX, LX or EX) Nice choice on the 2-door BTW

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

haha, yeah, I was pretty grateful he had patience...I knew something was off when he replied with "a transmission fill tube ?!" My car is an EX package car, still havent searched much on that, I had assumed it was going indicate body/interior trim packaging....but considering my current knowledge of these cars, assuming anything is probably a terrible idea.

Comment

Nice! You're right, it does indicate the options package. Does it have fog-lights? Cuz that would be a huge bonus.

And i agree. Assuming anything is almost never a good idea. That philosophy can be applied to many facets of life...not just CB7's

When you're ready, make an MRT (My Ride Thread) and use it as home base whenever you need help. Threads like this can get lost or locked depending on how things play out...

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

No fog lights on her, but I'm ok with that . She did however come lowered, and some evidence of a previous owner purchasing a few aftermarket odds and ends under the hood. I have to figure out what the stock suspension looks like though, so I can figure out what theyve done to lower the car...I'm really hoping I don't find something like torched springs under the car with stock struts. Because THAT would be amazing hahaha.

Comment

No fog lights on her, but I'm ok with that . She did however come lowered, and some evidence of a previous owner purchasing a few aftermarket odds and ends under the hood. I have to figure out what the stock suspension looks like though, so I can figure out what theyve done to lower the car...I'm really hoping I don't find something like torched springs under the car with stock struts. Because THAT would be deadly hahaha.
                    Fixed.

Seek and ye shall find. The info you desire is literally at your fingertips.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

lol, yessir! Finding this site has already proven beneficial . The search does seem a little sketchy, but it seems as long as I know EXACTLY what I'm looking for, its doing it's job

Comment

The search does seem a little sketchy, but it seems as long as I know EXACTLY what I'm looking for, its doing it's job
                        Originally posted by Function>Form View Post

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Welcome to the site! make sure you check out the DIY section! A lot of simple mods in there if you're looking to mod your car.
                          92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                          2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                          2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

A Helm manual is far better than Haynes or Chiltons. It's laid out so clearly that you can flip through it and really understand what you're looking at, without even looking at the car. I kept mine in the bathroom for a while!

To get a bit more into the performance aspect, a VERY good book to start with is Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. Most of the info is dated (but then again, so are these cars!), and some of it is even downright wrong... but the majority of it is quite helpful. Since you're already familiar with wrenching, the info should make plenty of sense to you once you see it laid out.

Once you have those two books in hand, and you get a chance to poke around the car a bit, you'll have a better idea of what to search for. Also, all of the "sticky" and "read here first" threads at the top of each section will contain the best info regarding the most common questions pertaining to that particular section. Take a look through those if you haven't already.

I know the feeling, though. I'm the exact opposite. These cars are all I know, and I'm lost when it comes to the old carb'd V8s!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              A Helm manual is far better than Haynes or Chiltons. It's laid out so clearly that you can flip through it and really understand what you're looking at, without even looking at the car. I kept mine in the bathroom for a while!

To get a bit more into the performance aspect, a VERY good book to start with is Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. Most of the info is dated (but then again, so are these cars!), and some of it is even downright wrong... but the majority of it is quite helpful. Since you're already familiar with wrenching, the info should make plenty of sense to you once you see it laid out.

Once you have those two books in hand, and you get a chance to poke around the car a bit, you'll have a better idea of what to search for. Also, all of the "sticky" and "read here first" threads at the top of each section will contain the best info regarding the most common questions pertaining to that particular section. Take a look through those if you haven't already.

I know the feeling, though. I'm the exact opposite. These cars are all I know, and I'm lost when it comes to the old carb'd V8s!
                              Insert plug....

Originally posted by Mishakol129
                              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Working...
                              X