Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Help building a turbo f22a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help building a turbo f22a1

I'm wanting to turbo my f22a1 I'm my 92 prelude I have purchased a turbo kit from eBay and some other parts, I'm just not sure on what else I would need to add on to the motor to get the most out of it. I don't really have a budget to worry about I'm looking to make atleast 300-350hp. The motor only has 92,xxx mi so it's still fairly young,

What parts came with the kit?

Size and Trim of turbo?

Even though you say the engine is fairly young, it is old. It would probably benefit from a good going over and replace some of the older gaskets and seals if they haven't already been replaced. You start adding HP to an older engine and you will quickly see how young it really is.

You are going to need new pistons, the ring lands on the stock pistons are the weak point. While the block is apart you might as well get new bottom end bearings to suit your boost. Might want to look into some forged rods, if budget is not a worry! :beer:

An upgraded camshaft and valve job wouldn't hurt ether.

Larger H23 throttle body and upper intake plenum (manifold) mated to the F22A6 lower intake runners would be a nice upgrade as well.
    Last edited by GhostAccord; 02-18-2017, 10:56 AM.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Can u not see the picture I posted? It's a t3/t4 50/.63 I planned on replacing alot of the old parts already. But the kit came with everything I need, oil feed/return lines, bov, wastegate, intercooler, piping, and etc. If you wouldn't mind would you send a list of parts with the brand I should get. I never turboed a car before so it's all new to me, Im not the one even doing the work I'm about 1000 miles away from home I'm in the military and I have a cousin building the car for me and just supplying the parts

Comment

T3/t4 50/63 turbo
        330cc injector
        255 fuel pump
        Stage 4 comp clutch
        Comp pressure flywheel
        Bf Goodrich 205/50/16
        avid.1 av-12 16×8 +25 offset
        Aem wideband
        Aem cold air
        Oil pan
        Mishimoto radiator
        Mishimoto radiator shroud fan

Comment

Facebook pictures don't always work. Copy and paste the link into your browser to see if it works for you. If it does, it should work here.

Anyway, "eBay" turbo kits are often comprised of some pretty awful parts. Cheaply made Chinese/Taiwanese junk that is prone to failure. I've known those turbos to fall apart, sending parts of the compressor wheel into the engine (which, you can imagine, is catastrophic.) The cheap wastegates often fail as well, resulting in serious engine damage due to a boost spike.
          My advice would be to sell that kit and buy a quality kit from treadstoneperformance.com. They use high quality parts. The kit is likely 3x more expensive than what you got from eBay, but the damage that eBay kit could do would end up being even more expensive. It's quite a risk to trust that cheap junk.

Second, the stock F22A internals are NOT suitable for boost. Even if they were brand new it would still not be advisable to add a turbo to an engine with stock internals. The ring lands on the stock pistons are fragile, and tend to break very quickly, even on low boost (I'm talking 220-250whp... your goals are significantly higher.) One of our staff members, who is an acclaimed Honda tech in New Zealand (now working for Honda corporate) built an F22A with brand new OEM internals. He installed a turbo (he had successfully boosted a few other Hondas previously), and tuned it properly. It lasted 3 months before the engine was totally shot.
          Head over to raceeng.com and pick up some forged pistons and rods. Again, not cheap... but if you actually want this engine to last, that's what you need to do. Otherwise, it'll be fun for a few thousand miles, and then it'll probably blow up (and when it does, it'll be even more expensive to rebuild than it would be to just build it right in the first place.)

Third, those 330cc injectors may not be sufficient for your goals. You don't want to run injectors at their limit. Popular budget-build injectors are the 440cc injectors found in the 1st generation turbo Eclipse/Talon/Laser (and Galant VR4). They're plentiful on ebay and various DSM or Honda forums. Good starter injectors, but many people upgrade for higher boost... meaning there's always a set on the market.

Finally, what are your plans for engine management? How do you plan on tuning the ECU? Do you have a tuner lined up? You will need to get some sort of tunable engine management system and have it properly tuned once you get everything set up. If your ECU isn't tuned appropriately, you'll blow your engine up quite quickly. You can't run on a generic tune ("basemap") for long without doing damage.
          Find yourself a good tuner that's familiar with Hondas. Ask what engine management solution they prefer, and buy that. Don't go out and buy yourself a fancy AEM EMS and expect a tuner that only knows Hondata to figure it out. Buy what your tuner knows. If you don't like what they say to get, find another tuner with a preference that is more to your liking.

Comment

First the f22a and h23 throttle body are both 60mm so no difference in size. I agree that the eBay turbo kits are cheap and not reliable and will cost you a lot more in the end. It's worth spending more for a good turbo kit or doing some research and and building your own kit from the ground up. That's what I'm talking about to do their is quite a few parts from other cars that are interchangeable like Mitsubishi dsm talon/eclipse. Also I have a good friend of mine who has a 93 accord coupe that we rebuilt the f22a6 from the ground up with all own parts and it's turbocharged at 6psi pretty weak but it gave him the amount of power he wanted and he daily drives it and it has around 33k on the build and it still running like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by cb74draccord85 View Post
              First the f22a and h23 throttle body are both 60mm so no difference in size.
              Measure the two at the throttle plate and let us know what you find!
              Last edited by GhostAccord; 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Has anyone had personal experience with Ebay turbos though?
                Seems like alot of people hate on them, but haven't tried them themselves
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I have no personal experience. However, I do have some experience with "cheaply made eBay shyte". And it is still the same old thing, you get what you pay for! I have made due with the cheaper stuff that I have purchased online. In saying that, I had to spend hours tapping and tightening screws and re-aligning seals and gaskets to get the parts to 100&#37;.

Now that I am at a point in my life where I am making decent money and I have the ability to buy quality parts.... it is so much easier. Spend the money and it is truly plug and play. Cheap out and you will have to put in the time to get it to work as you want it to.

If you look into it, 90% of the people who hate on these products have no real experience with the products. They are people who copy and paste a bad review over and over on every forum they are on. Just so that they can feel accepted... Welcome to the interwebs
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                    Has anyone had personal experience with Ebay turbos though?
                    Seems like alot of people hate on them, but haven't tried them themselves
                    "eBay" doesn't make anything. The stuff you find on there is so cheap because it is made with low quality materials, imprecise manufacturing processes, and with little quality control. People "hate on them" because they understand how those things are a very, very bad thing. People who understand these things have no personal experience with such things because they know better. Why would I risk my entire engine (and a great deal of my time and effort) when I already know why it's a bad idea?
                    I also have no personal experience with heroin, licking electrical sockets, or slamming my testicles in a car door...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                      I have no personal experience. However, I do have some experience with "cheaply made eBay shyte". And it is still the same old thing, you get what you pay for! I have made due with the cheaper stuff that I have purchased online. In saying that, I had to spend hours tapping and tightening screws and re-aligning seals and gaskets to get the parts to 100%.

Now that I am at a point in my life where I am making decent money and I have the ability to buy quality parts.... it is so much easier. Spend the money and it is truly plug and play. Cheap out and you will have to put in the time to get it to work as you want it to.

If you look into it, 90% of the people who hate on these products have no real experience with the products. They are people who copy and paste a bad review over and over on every forum they are on. Just so that they can feel accepted... Welcome to the interwebs
                      I totally agree. I went through having a defective eBay header, that was frustrating, I wouldn't buy another one.

I just see some people saying, you can't turbo your car unless you go buy a 2-3 thousand dollar kit! Idk, it just annoys me.
                      But like you said, most of the time you get what you pay for.
                      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        "eBay" doesn't make anything. The stuff you find on there is so cheap because it is made with low quality materials, imprecise manufacturing processes, and with little quality control. People "hate on them" because they understand how those things are a very, very bad thing. People who understand these things have no personal experience with such things because they know better. Why would I risk my entire engine (and a great deal of my time and effort) when I already know why it's a bad idea?
                        I also have no personal experience with heroin, licking electrical sockets, or slamming my testicles in a car door...
                        Do you know anybody who has experience with doing those things?
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I once thought of slapping an ebay turbo kit on my first accord but herd the stories and stayed away, 10 years later and Im happy I didnt make that mistake , But if you're gonna build your motor why not get the good quality stuff all around?

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Deev, your last sentence made me cringe lol

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                            What parts came with the kit?

Size and Trim of turbo?

Even though you say the engine is fairly young, it is old. It would probably benefit from a good going over and replace some of the older gaskets and seals if they haven't already been replaced. You start adding HP to an older engine and you will quickly see how young it really is.

You are going to need new pistons, the ring lands on the stock pistons are the weak point. While the block is apart you might as well get new bottom end bearings to suit your boost. Might want to look into some forged rods, if budget is not a worry! :beer:

An upgraded camshaft and valve job wouldn't hurt ether.

Larger H23 throttle body and upper intake plenum (manifold) mated to the F22A6 lower intake runners would be a nice upgrade as well.
                            Don't forget piston sleeves and a upgraded crankshaft! And spark plugs I think?
                            Last edited by Broke_Cb7; 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Sleeves are not really a necessity if the power goals are below 400whp. The stock iron sleeves will handle it. A properly installed block guard would be something to look into if you are worried about cylinder walk under boost.

As far as spark plugs go.... they will need to be gapped based on boost levels, air velocity entering the combustion chamber.
                              MR Thread
                              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X