CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension > Brake Performance

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
aero

aero is cool... so far.
Akebono VS Nissin

Akebono Calipers VS Nissin Calipers
Quote:
Whenever you go to the parts store or shop online for brake pads, brake lines or even new calipers, your final selection is "What brand of calipers?" So whats up with the two different calipers, what makes them different, and why should you care?
First, if you are simply wanting to know what to look for so you can get to the parts store to order the parts; but dont give a crap about why they are different, here are the comparisons of what to look for on the outside surface of the caliper.

Nissin - "Nissin"

Akebono - "triangle shapes"

What are the differences? Is one better than the other?
(excuse the fact that these are dirty as can be, got inspired for this thread last minute, and these were just sitting in the garage.)

Akebono Caliper

Nissin Caliper

Caliper Comparison

*Most obvious difference is that spring on the Nissin. In my opinion, more unneeded parts are more parts that can break.
*Akebono also seems thicker (has good and bad, more heat to dissipate, but stronger if they are same metals)

Akebono Bracket

Nissin Bracket

Bracket Comparison

*Different on how "floating calipers" attach to bracket
---Akebono Caliper to bracket bolt is longer, and whole thing "floats"
---Nissin bolt is smaller, and attaches to another "sleeve" which "floats" So again, nissin has 2 parts where 1 would work just fine, more to break.

*Nissin/Akebono MUST be used with their respective brackets for this reason.

Nissin Pad Wear Issue

Pad Wear Issue (Nissin)
*This pad was taken off my car after I swapped my Nissin calipers over to Akebono. Happened on both sides of car, and both pads w/in each caliper.

The right side of the picture is the actual Pad Material(what sits on rotor)
The left side is the backing plate
The red line is the outside edge of the pad(closest to outside of rotor)
Yellow area is the inside edge of the pad(closest to the axle nut)
Circled area is a LIP of extra brake pad.

It seems that the "extra" spring that was on the Nissin caliper(see pic above) has worn down over the years, letting the pad rub off the edge of the rotor. It may have been possible to just bend the spring out so it pushed down more on the pad, but I decided to go with akebono, only way you can mess that up is cross-threading the bolts.

*The circled part isnt the only part that was hanging over the edge, it was all the way around, but its too blury on the part nearest the camera.

Other Advantages:
Higher performance pads, ex. Hawk HPS pads only available for Akebono

Other Findings:
Akebonos were MOSTLY found on sedans
Nissins MOSTLY found on coupes.
*As you can see, "mostly" is the word since there are the few random ones out there. This could be from factory or from aftermarket replacement, so dont assume, make sure you check.

The information in this post is believed to be true, but is only backed up by my opinion. Attempt any How-to's, DIY's or advice at your own risk, stay safe, and remember to use jack stands, not just a jack.

Last edited by aero; 12-20-2005 at 12:07 PM.
aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
accordmaniac
CB7tuner Member

accordmaniac is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to accordmaniac
Thanks for the great info.
4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )
accordmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
blazen_accord
CB7tuner Member

blazen_accord is cool... so far.
If coupe are suppose to be the sport version of the accord why ddid they get crappy nissan caliber? honda engineer must have a good reason to use nissan design? from what stated above akobono caliber is way better /stronger/less part/more aftermarket then nissan. and it should be a easy direct swap right? just buy the bracket/caliber and I can swap rfom nissan to akebono? is there any real stoping power diff from the 2 caliber??
blazen_accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
aero

aero is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen_accord
If coupe are suppose to be the sport version of the accord why ddid they get crappy nissan caliber? honda engineer must have a good reason to use nissan design? from what stated above akobono caliber is way better /stronger/less part/more aftermarket then nissan. and it should be a easy direct swap right? just buy the bracket/caliber and I can swap rfom nissan to akebono? is there any real stoping power diff from the 2 caliber??
Not sure why there was even 2 different ones in the first place. If my pads werent dragging off the edge of my rotor, I would have probably kept them; but they were, so they were replaced.

If you wanted to switch over, yeah, you just need the caliper and bracket.

Difference in braking power, nothing noticeable. I got brand new OEM Honda akebono calipers/brackets for 50 bux, so I didnt really have a choice not to

edit: but although coupes are meant to be "sportier," a sedan would be expected to be hauling much more weight around versus the coupe.
aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
deckeda
CB7tuner Member

deckeda is cool... so far.
Thanks for the write-up. Glad I inspired somebody!

I think that when I went to get brake pads awhile back and the guy behind the counter asked, "Akebono or Nissin?" I said, "Yes!" ... and got lucky. LOL

Now, I know.
deckeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
xaxis360
CB7tuner Member

xaxis360 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to xaxis360
keep in mind all rear discs on hondas were and still are nissin...
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
uslspct
Contributing Member

uslspct is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to uslspct
I would also like to point out that Akebono uses 17mm bolts/pins for the braket-to piston where Nissin uses 14mm. In case you pull some off in a junkyard make sure you take those bolts/pins as well if you're doing an Akebono swap.

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
-=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong
uslspct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
texasvtak
Southern Regional Mudder Hater

texasvtak seems to have made some friends! texasvtak seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to texasvtak
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen_accord
Nissin.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
bjaccord
CB7tuner Member

bjaccord is cool... so far.
I'd like to mention that honda still uses nissin calipers on all there sport bikes (CBR's and whatnot) so there must be something good about them. L8r

-----344whp/320tq-----
---NON-VTEC H22A @ 15psi---
bjaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
ACC0RD22
CB7tuner Member

ACC0RD22 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to ACC0RD22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaccord
I'd like to mention that honda still uses nissin calipers on all there sport bikes (CBR's and whatnot) so there must be something good about them. L8r
nissin also manufactures the Spoon calipers you commonly see on JDMed out cars. Im sure this is just a design flaw . . . or something of that nature.

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.
ACC0RD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Gen4Acclude
CB7tuner Member

Gen4Acclude is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC0RD22
nissin also manufactures the Spoon calipers you commonly see on JDMed out cars. Im sure this is just a design flaw . . . or something of that nature.

aaahhhh i just found my new sig
fuck the bitches that stole my car jan/1/2006@7am from montesano wa updated: The Warrens from Malone Wa were found guilty for possesion of stolen property in the 1st*and were ordered to pay $2489.69 in restitution, only cause the shell was not found

R.I.P.

Vouches from: Snailin91, Caution, 2G6, Jdmf23accord, Boosted_StinkyNuts
Gen4Acclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
ilovemycb7
CB7tuner Member

ilovemycb7 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to ilovemycb7
Anyone know more about why Nissin is used?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
oranger
CB7tuner Member

oranger may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycb7
Anyone know more about why Nissin is used?
Can't prove it but if I had a guess, cost...The akebono probably made it on sedans partly because they were cheaper...more sedans were produced, and the "sportier" coupe got nissins, because less made..a little more cost was ok and they probably performed better, at least in theory...

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!
oranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
Stealthman80
CB7tuner Member

Stealthman80 is cool... so far.
I asked for rear pads and the guy said akebono or nissin. why is there an option if they are all nissin. and are you positive they are all nissin?

My Members Ride Page
Stealthman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
yea MH doesnt say Akebono or Nissin for the rear disc brakes....but for the fronts it says Akebono for my 93 Se....

So i dunno
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #16
Stealthman80
CB7tuner Member

Stealthman80 is cool... so far.
when I went to get front pads from the dealer, they gave me nissan, and I was like no there akebono. and there like wth it says on th ecomp it should be nissin.

My Members Ride Page
Stealthman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
accord junkie
CB7tuner Member

accord junkie is cool... so far.
It seems that the "extra" spring that was on the Nissin caliper(see pic above) has worn down over the years, letting the pad rub off the edge of the rotor. It may have been possible to just bend the spring out so it pushed down more on the pad, but I decided to go with akebono, only way you can mess that up is cross-threading the bolts.

i had this prob before but was the pads that the part store gave me i said nissin they fit tight thought maybe manufacturer so went to crappy tire and bought some monroes and voila prob solved and i dont know how cb's work in the states but here in canada i have owned 3 seprate cb7's completly stock and they all had nissin i have a coupe also will chek soon wich calaipers it has.
accord junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #18
F22HB
CB7tuner Member

F22HB is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to F22HB
Maybe I missed this but I'm just going to ask. Are Nissin pad interchangable with Akebono calipers?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #19
ExplodingCake
Noob Herder

ExplodingCake seems to have made some friends! ExplodingCake seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22HB
Maybe I missed this but I'm just going to ask. Are Nissin pad interchangable with Akebono calipers?
I don't think so.

Nissin should be nissin pads and akebono to akebono pads.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-20XX (Tubbs Fire Survivor)
2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017 (RIP Death by Tubbs Fire)

ExplodingCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
i<3mycb7coupe
CB7tuner Member

i<3mycb7coupe is cool... so far.
I accidently bought Nissin pads for my Akebono calipers, i was used to my sedan which had the Nissins on them, so I put them on with the Powerslot plus kit, now the pads have the wear issue noted in this thread, but goddam my coupe stops so much better the sedan with Nissins its not even funny which is hilarious, so next step: get Akebono pads... lol yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack_odom
Yummmmm. I'm going to go eat some Buddy Club sauce with my Mugen Spoon.
i<3mycb7coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: