Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

looking to start an f22a1 build, but need some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
    If you are looking for reliable and dependable, and you can not build an engine yourself. My advice would be to get an H22.

I know you think you want to build a motor. But you need to measure stuff with micrometers replace bearings and forged rods and pistons will run almost as much as an H22 will run and that is no cam or springs.

I thought this would be fun to do. It started with a head and intake change. Then I got to reading and researching. I finally decided that I could get more reliable power with a Honda built not Steve built motor. There is one member on here that has put a lot of effort into building a F and haw done a great job.
    But in the end I am not that person. Maybe you are. Be realistic in YOUR abilities.

my 2 cents. Maybe in a year I will be able to build but now I didn't feel comfortable.

Just throwing this advice out there.

Good luck.

steve
    I have access to all the specialty tools and many people who have been at this for ages. I have a lot of time to work on this too and I don't need to complete this build this year, but I would like to get headed into the proper direction.

Also thanks for the luck, I will need it.

Comment

You're in the right position to learn, then. Having access to the proper tools is more than most people have.

Buy that book, and read it. Then learn in detail what you'll need to do each step of the way. It will take time, but if you manage to do it slow and understand exactly what you're doing (and why), you'll be an expert by the end of the build.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        You're in the right position to learn, then. Having access to the proper tools is more than most people have.

Buy that book, and read it. Then learn in detail what you'll need to do each step of the way. It will take time, but if you manage to do it slow and understand exactly what you're doing (and why), you'll be an expert by the end of the build.
        I will do that and catch up with this later thank you for the help so far.

Comment

I have heard, and remember, this is just hearsay, that a stock motor with a clean, precise stock rebuild can hold up to 9 lbs. of boost. I'd say if a stock K23 can utilize a turbo, then why can't any other low compression Honda motor?

Comment

Because the F22A pistons are crap. Most all F/H pistons are. The ringlands break very easily. And this isn't just something people spout off because they heard it one time. There is a ton of documented proof of this happening and it all happens because of prolonged boost. Replacing pistons will give you a margin for error necessary to lightly boost reliably. But, as with anything else, any situation could be different and there's no guarantees that your other components will last then either.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

They're not crap... they're just not designed for use with turbo. The materials are not made for the heat and pressure.

And a stock rebuild will indeed hold. Until it blows. The internet is full of "mine is working fine!" stories, but not a whole lot of "mine just blew up" followups.

Comment

The stock pistons are cast aluminum. They are strong enough for their intended purpose, but when you add more heat and pressure to them they break at their weakest point. K23 can handle the turbo since it was engineered for such a purpose, where-as the F22A was not engineered with a turbo in mind.

Forged pistons are formed out of a solid aluminum block. The process to form them involves high heat and pressure, so as you can imagine, it can handle higher combustion temperatures and pressures. I could get into the molecular science of how forging is stronger than casting, but anyone who paid attention in high school knows this. Plus there's google.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

It's also explained in pretty understandable terms on pages 58-59 of the book I mentioned earlier

Comment

i had to go to the mainland and barnes and nobles just to get that book. its a wealth of knowledge, as well as very period specific to our generation of Accords. a must buy for any Honda enthusiast. any more recommendations Deev? I've got this other book, i got it the same time as the one you mentioned, but this ones on Engine Management. when i find it ill post the name up.

Comment

Engine Management Systems by Jeff Hartman? That's a decent one as well, though the info isn't as useful for beginners. I found that it was filled with info that I already knew, or didn't know enough to make use of.

I truly found that the Kojima book was the absolute best starting point for a true beginner working with older Hondas. The info is dated (the K series was JUST coming out as that book was written), and there are even some blatantly errors (he says VTECH at one point! ) but overall, the info is easy to understand, presented in a very straightforward manner, and very useful for a beginner to apply without ever having turned a wrench. Kojima's writing style is also entertaining at times.
                      He's been active on various forums in the past. It's a shame he never found his way here! He's a huge Sentra fan.

Comment

Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima.
                        How can this book be useful when it comes to building an F22? (other than basic knowledge of internals and components of course)

It is written specifically for H, D, and B series motors.

Comment

Have you read it?

Comment

Have you read it?
                            No, but I did just order it. I wasnt trying to be an ass or anything lol. I just wanted to know exactly how relevant it was to the F series.

Comment

The information regarding VTEC and some aftermarket parts are H/B-specific, yes... but the general information regarding the function of the engine, the function of upgraded parts, the importance of materials used (for example, high silicon pistons vs. low silcon pistons), the function of turbos, superchargers, and nitrous oxide...
                              90% of that book can be applied directly to the F22A.

Comment

Ok Deev I have read the book you recommended. I have now come up with my goal and budget.

I have a budget of between 6k-10k.

I would like to get between 300whp-350whp.

I was wondering if this is accomplishable on my f22a1 or if I should swap motors?

Comment

Working...
                                X