Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I want to straighten out my bumper but the holes are broken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to straighten out my bumper but the holes are broken.

The holes where the rivets go are broken, on the front bumper itself. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how I can fix this without buying a new bumper. I would like to keep the original 91 bumper.

You're going to have to be more specific with the "rivets" you're talking about. Do you mean the plastic clips? Pictures would help.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I actually have the same question, and bit of searching found this old thread so I didn't have to start a new one. My bumper is still in place, but three of the rivets/plastic bolts broke a few weeks ago. Two are directly under the driver-side headlight and would require the bumper to be completely removed to obtain access. The third is under the corner light, which can be easily removed. Can anyone give me a part number? The diagrams in All Data don't have such things and don't even show these rivets in the diagrams.
      God created turbo lag to give eight cylinders a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronuss View Post

I actually have the same question, and bit of searching found this old thread so I didn't have to start a new one. My bumper is still in place, but three of the rivets/plastic bolts broke a few weeks ago. Two are directly under the driver-side headlight and would require the bumper to be completely removed to obtain access. The third is under the corner light, which can be easily removed. Can anyone give me a part number? The diagrams in All Data don't have such things and don't even show these rivets in the diagrams.
        Originally posted by D-rock615 View Post
        The holes where the rivets go are broken, on the front bumper itself. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how I can fix this without buying a new bumper. I would like to keep the original 91 bumper.
        theres a few different styles, theyre just called plastic rivets. there are screw styles and push pin styles. I got 100 of them for 12 bucks on alibaba. take off the bumper and fix it. theres 2 nuts on skewer type bolts inside then engine bay and behind the front mounted turn signals are some bolts either 2 or 4 i cant remember, take all those out and the whole bumper slides off once you unhook it from the brackets on the sides. dont mess with the T40 torx head bolts thats just to take the bumper cover off the structure which is more of a pain then taking the whole bumper off.

http://bit.ly/16v2O8U
        Last edited by illinois_erik; 09-20-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I've done some googling as well and tried to find diagram overlays and such. I just don't want to take the bumper off, have the wrong rivet on hand, then have to put the bumper back on so I can go return what I just bought.

Comment

I've done some googling as well and tried to find diagram overlays and such. I just don't want to take the bumper off, have the wrong rivet on hand, then have to put the bumper back on so I can go return what I just bought.
            One of the best sites for part numbers and exploded views is www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. I think the clips are 5/16 diameter. The biggest problem I've had is trying to find a complete set for a bumper skin. Advance Auto sells a 3 pack. Autozone a 2 pack.

You have to take the bumper off to replace the clips (rivets). Once you know how, it can be done in about 10 minutes. As stated, there are two studs that go through to the engine compartment. Look behind roughly the center of the headlight assembly (just in front of battery tray on the right, in front of the cruise control mounting foot on the left). Remove these 12 mm nuts. I usually remove the battery to get better access to the one on the left. Remove the single screw retaining each of the bumper turn signals, remove the turn signals. Behind each one is the bumper mounting bracket with two 14 mm (maybe 12) bolts. Remove the bolts. Underneath there are two plastic clips (rivets) that attach the underside of the bumper skin to the car. Unscrew the center of the clip about 3/8 inch, then remove the clip. At each wheel well there are two phillips head screws that attach the end of the bumper cover to plastic brackets. In theory, the whole bumper assembly should slide forward and off the car and the brackets will come with cover. Some people remove the screws and leave the brackets on the fender, just pull the ends of the cover out from the car to clear the brackets. You will then have access to the clips that were under the headlight.

As far as broken holes, are they completely ripped open or just cracked through? If just cracked, and the clips are broken, a new set might be sifficient to hold it on. If they are completely torn through, you could use some adhesive to glue the cover to the beam (assuming you don't ever want to take it apart again). If you like black, you can get a new cover from CertiFit for about $40.

If you're anywhere near West Chester (20 miles north of Cincinnati), stop by and I can help you with it. What color do you need? I can keep my eyes open at the local U Pull places.
            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 09-20-2013, 07:15 PM.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

if you need new bumper clips, I have found this to be one of the best (most specific, cheapest) sources online: http://www.autobodysupplies.com/Fore...inersPage1.htm

then for the top edge of the bumpers, you want the one called "10mm Honda Bumper Fascia #2012T" - it has a slimmer, flatter head than the other types of clips.

personally, I bought myself a box of those, plus a box of the "8mm Honda Fender Splash Shield Rivet #2125T" for the fender liners. With my garage stocked up, I am much more liberal about destroying the old clips on removal - especially the bumper ones, which never come out easily. I usually just use a flathead and pry the outer rim off, which lets the core of the clip get pushed down and into the bumper and out via the inner side.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

you make it sound like youre changing a rear main seal. it takes like a whole 15 mins to get it off

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  you make it sound like youre changing a rear main seal. it takes like a whole 15 mins to get it off
                  No, but I've done it three times just to put in black-housed headlights. For whatever reason, my car is not supposed to have black-housed headlights because something always happens. This current set was on for a few days, and a BB sized hole appeared in the passenger side glass. If I do take the bumper off again, another set of black-housed lights are going in with some LEDs inside the glass, and then I will replace those rivets accordingly...no pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    If you're anywhere near West Chester (20 miles north of Cincinnati), stop by and I can help you with it. What color do you need? I can keep my eyes open at the local U Pull places.
                    Appreciate the offer, but I'm in West Virginia, Eastern Panhandle. Finding 90-93 Accords ANYWHERE near me are few and far between, and very few yards around here are "you pull" places, so I usually order parts online.

Comment

Appreciate the offer, but I'm in West Virginia, Eastern Panhandle. Finding 90-93 Accords ANYWHERE near me are few and far between, and very few yards around here are "you pull" places, so I usually order parts online.
                      I guess the "stop by" offer was to the OP, he is in Ohio (somewhere). Edit: Duh, he posted last year! Offer stands for anyone in the Cincinnati area!
                      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

They sell those rivets at Lowe's too. Just thought I would add that for ya!!!
                        The CB7 Collector.
                        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                        92 LX Coupe F22A1
                        2013 Toyota Corolla S
                        92 EX Sedan F22A1
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

My whole bumper got ripped off from an alignment shop... ended up drilling some holes in the bumper support and zip tied them together. Its easy to take off, just the two nuts in the engine bay and the bolts that hold the bumper support to the car. I never mess with the area that I zip tied (and they aren't noticeable). Good luck.
                          Last edited by oni_cb7; 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I would have hit the alignment shop up for a new bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                              I would have hit the alignment shop up for a new bumper.
                              They said that they would take care of it... I didn't trust them working on my car anymore. I was going to file a claim so they would pay me for the damage, but it was too much of a hassle to go through. Took me five minutes to fix it.

However, the guy working on my car and the one who yelled at me because they ripped the bumper off, no longer work there... don't mess with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X