F22 Pilot Bearing/Bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22 Pilot Bearing/Bushing

It looks like the F22 uses like a "bushing" type thing for the stock flywheel &
    not a typical pilot bearing.

I bought an Excedy Clutch Kit that had a flywheel included. But, when I was
    trying to put the pilot bearing in the lightweight flywheel it did not want to
    go in on it's own. I was using a rubber mallet & a socket to hammer it in.
    By the time it started to go in a little bit it just seemed the bearing was a little larger than the hole.

I got this clutch kit offline so I think this flywheel must be some off brand shit lol,
    so of course I should have seen some weird issue like this coming.

This flywheel also does not have a "lipped" or "machined" end on either side of the
    pilot bearing hole to indicate which side it inserted either. When I did my D16
    on my Civic the OEM flywheel had a lip that would let the pilot bearing bottom
    out so it sits all the way in on the flywheel.

On other posts about the F22 flywheel I saw people say they didn't even install
    anything at all when the put their flywheel on. But, this aftermarket flywheel's
    hole for the pilot bearing is a lot larger than the stock F22's flywheel.

My question is, do I need to run that pilot bearing on the aftermarket wheel?
    I would imagine you do since the hole on the flywheel is larger than
    on the stock flywheel.
    Last edited by G. Wiffington; 03-03-2019, 07:59 AM.
    Keep Pushing..

I also keep looking up people with H22's saying that some of the aftermarket
    flywheels like Fidanza came with a bearing installed & other people saying
    they bought Competition Clutch Flywheels & it did not require a pilot bearing
    at all. Even when I see the CC Flywheels being sold on eBay they don't look
    like the include a pilot bearing.
    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Best I can tell from Majestic's site, the F22 does not have a pilot bearing in the flywheel (I don't remember one when disassembling/assembling the transmission during my engine swap). I'm out of the country so I don't have access to my service manual.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Hey man, thank for replying out of country! Where are you at?

Yeah I found that there is only a brass bushing piece that is usually installed
        on the flywheel already but I think if you didn't have one it wouldn't make
        much difference.

I on the other hand have this aftermarket flywheel with a much larger hole
        than the OEM flywheel. The kit came with one supplied so I suppose I should
        use it.

I finally got the bearing pressed in place. Put it in the freezer for a while,
        then put the flywheel in the oven on 400 for 30 mins, took my torch & heated
        the diameter of the hole & just slowly tapped it in.

What a pain!!

So my moral of the story:

OEM F22/H22 has a brass bushing NOT A PILOT BEARING.
        Aftermarket (depending on brand) if they supply a pilot bearing, USE IT.

**I did see something about the early version of the Fidanza Lightweights
        did not come with a pilot bearing but the updated version DID use one.**
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

Was in Queretaro for two weeks on business. Got back home early this morning. Glad you figured it out. I didn't have a flywheel sitting around to look at.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
          X