knocking when turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knocking when turning

So I replaced both my axles last summer because they were knocking when I turned but its making that noise again. Its been doing it for awhile now. I checked the boots and they arnt ripped and there isnt any grease anywhere so I assume they are fine. Any ideas on what it could be?

Rocesride Member Page

maybe control arms?

no
    Accord turbo kit under $2k here
    $30 HID kits here Thread
    "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
    "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

control arms ftw.

Mine are like falling apart

Arm-Can= cheapest and wont last longer then a year

But its worth it!

Comment

is it a constant knock-knock-knock as you rolll? or a single pop / knock when turning?

because many cheap reman axles from like, autozone or wherever, start knocking again very soon after installation, even if the boot isnt torn - thats why they usually have a lifetime replacement warranty

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Another consideration too look into is the front lower ball-joints.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i developed a knock when left turning and going over speed bumps with my driver's side wheel.

im dead for sure it is the front upper balljoint, it's never been replaced.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yes it is a constant knock knock knock when turning. I got it off one of those car part websites...not sure which. should I worry about it? or just leave it since the boot isnt torn?

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

Check your ball joints, see if theres any play in the axle shaft.

Should you worry about it? You tell us.
                To-Do List for Today
                Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by rocesride View Post
                  Yes it is a constant knock knock knock when turning. I got it off one of those car part websites...not sure which. should I worry about it? or just leave it since the boot isnt torn?
                  You can leave it for time being, nothing drastic as you've just replaced it. But click click click click is yo axole, as my japanese mechanic says. I am all for brand X saving, But when it comes to oil pans and axles you gotta fork over the extra money for the Honda. I know your like ouch, Honda axles are 190.00 a piece. Hey we are in the same boat. I already got the axles actually but now am saving for the power steering rack. I figure when doing the job, to get it done right. Honda rack aint cheap neither. damn Pirates. anybody know what honda warranty is like? should be best right?

Comment

knocka knocka knocka

thats cv joints

single clunk, ball joint

I'm slowly developing a worn balljoint on one side, luckily I have some new lowers lying around for a rainy day, and I may do my uppers when I do those

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                    where you been, is something wrong?
                    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Check to see if the cv boots are stretched, mine were on my 92 and it made the typical cv axle clunk when I turned. Come to find out, that's what it was, the boot was stretched from the axle coming apart, or the bearings...

Comment

Originally posted by 'cp[mike
                        because many cheap reman axles from like, autozone or wherever, start knocking again very soon after installation, even if the boot isnt torn - thats why they usually have a lifetime replacement warranty
                        Mine from AutoZone lasted a whole two years before being on the verge of failing.
                        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Along those lines, I have the same clunk clunk clunk noise coming from the car when I make hard right turns, but not left turns... I figured it was the drivers side making the noise since that's the axle that would compress in a right turn. Is this a safe assumption?
                          1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

do they have the spider thingy for sale on ebay?
                            my rims cost more than my car

Comment

Digging up an older thread - I'm dealing with this right now. I know my boots on both upper and lower BJs are gone. No play, no harsh vibrations while driving, only this noise when I turn that sounds like hitting your knuckle on the fender (when heard from inside the car). It reminds me of the hinges on a massive heavy door. Not squeaky, but kind of a low knuckling noise.

Seems to favor the pass side. I'm hoping to replace ball joints, soon. Axles have been replaced in the last 10-15k miles, with OEM Hondas.

Comment

Working...
                              X