Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Overheating: fans will not operate unless A/C running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating: fans will not operate unless A/C running

Don't have a working multimeter so I just changed out the relay, didn't fix anything. The coolant is not dirty, radiator cap doesn't leak, reservoir fills when hot, both upper and lower hoses get hot (lower feels slightly cooler than upper), no white smoke from exhaust, with the heater on the temp drops drastically.
    I'm letting the engine cool down right now in an attempt to bleed the system.
    I plan on changing the thermostat just in case.
    I don't have a heat shield but my headers are wrapped.
    What should I look for next?

And as the title says, the ONLY time the fans operate is when the A/C is running.

Comment

It could be that one of your coolant temperature switches is malfunctioning or disconnected. These are responsible for indicating the temperature to the ecu and thus operating the cooling fans.

One of them is screwed into the thermostat housing the other is located near the temperature sending unit below the distributor.
      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

relays working?
        <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Sounds to me that the temp switch is not grounding your engine fan. Also there is a proper way of testing relays, I have noticed that there is a notion that if it clicks it is good but in reality clicking only means there is action inside the relay, if contact points within the relay are burned there will be no flow of energy thru it. If there is no diy on it I can make one, it requieres applying power and ground on the circuit to close the bridge and using a volt meter to check for continuity accross the relay. Sorry my love terminology is lacking right now. If temp switch is operational, relay works and there is power and ground to the fan then the fan itself will need replacing.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

The relay is good, I just replaced the coolant temperature sender (sensor)? It was really corroded and fell apart when I touched it. The orileys by my house didn't have the temp switches on hand but I ordered two. I'll replace those as soon as I can. Any way to post pics on an iphone? I want to show you guys what I've found so far.

Comment

Only one of the fans is for the A/C. But you are saying that both come on at the same time with the A/C on (and fan knob on), and no other combination does anything to turn one or both of them on. Have you been playing around with the connections or wires?

Comment

Originally posted by charliedeez88 View Post
                The relay is good, I just replaced the coolant temperature sender (sensor)? It was really corroded and fell apart when I touched it. The orileys by my house didn't have the temp switches on hand but I ordered two. I'll replace those as soon as I can. Any way to post pics on an iphone? I want to show you guys what I've found so far.
                Photobucket is how i do my uploads, also helps store photos in case you lose your phone.
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

This is the temperature sender under the distributor. I'm not sure if it was even connecected, as soon as I touched it it fell apart. I picked up two swithes from orileys but they look super small compared to the ones actually on my vehicle. If they are the wrong part, the employee said I'd have to buy them straight from Honda. Whenever it stops raining I will see if they fit or not.

Thanks for the Photobucket tip Crankshaft, it worked perfect.

Comment

Does anyone know what the little black sensor underneath the distributor is?

Comment

It's another temp sensor. I might be wrong, but the other one might be for the cluster.

Maybe replace the valve cover gasket or distributor seal while you're there too.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                        Maybe replace the valve cover gasket or distributor seal while you're there too.
                        The distributor had a bolt falling out, I tightened it up and cleaned the surrounding area. I'll check it for leaks periodically.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                          Only one of the fans is for the A/C. But you are saying that both come on at the same time with the A/C on (and fan knob on), and no other combination does anything to turn one or both of them on. Have you been playing around with the connections or wires?
                          No combinations of anything work, strictly A/C on. I have not touched any wires. I am hoping they are in order and won't need to mess with them.

Comment

So I replaced the coolant temp switches and BINGO! The fans came on! Left the car running for a long time and it didn't overheat, drove it around the block a few times and it didn't overheat. The temp gauge stayed steady the whole time. I guess we solved that problem but now my cars idle keeps surging!! I also noticed that when I turned my A/C on the battery light turned on... looks like I have more digging to do. Thanks for everyone's help this far. More updates soon, it's my daughters birthday tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be able to do any more work.

Comment

If the battery light came on when you turned on your AC you may just need to tighten up your belt, mine did the same thing intermittently and it was because i was missing the tensioner on the alternator
                              Originally posted by charliedeez88 View Post
                              So I replaced the coolant temp switches and BINGO! The fans came on! Left the car running for a long time and it didn't overheat, drove it around the block a few times and it didn't overheat. The temp gauge stayed steady the whole time. I guess we solved that problem but now my cars idle keeps surging!! I also noticed that when I turned my A/C on the battery light turned on... looks like I have more digging to do. Thanks for everyone's help this far. More updates soon, it's my daughters birthday tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be able to do any more work.

Comment

Working...
                              X