Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Megan Racing Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megan Racing Header

I'm just wondering if anyone has bought a header for our car from Megan Racing? I'm looking at replacing my stock 4-2-1 header soon with something more performance (2.5") but anything good is too expensive (bisimoto). http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...Q5fAccessories
    For $160 I think it's too good to be true, Megan Racing is (in my opinion) a reputable parts manufacturer and to make a part for our cb7's this cheap is amazing. At the very least, it's an improvement over the junk eBay generic's that run $60 right?
    Being normal is probably the lamest thing you can try to be

I never deal with Megan header so on the performance side I got nothing for you.... I really think a generic ebay header would give you the same amount of hp gain...I could be wrong.

But a tip for you to get it cheaper is to click on the "make offer" and enter about $100-$110 and you get a best bang for your buck.

BTW the generic no name header on ebay are about $59.99 shipped.
    Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

I read somewhere that Megan headers tend to leak. I just bought an M2 header in which everything fits AWESOME except where my down pipe is too short.

Comment

had one on my old cb7, its better than stock and did what it was suppose to, never had any problem with it. going on my cb7 whenever i get a chance to get gaskets and pull the rest of the exhaust off my old one. Id take the MR over the ebay one

Originally posted by Dr.x
        You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

I think you should just save for a bisi header. I ended up buying a hytech replica header when I swapped out my auto F22 for a 5 spd H22 and now I'm getting a Bisi header. Nothing is wrong with the header I have now just want more out of my motor since I'm going n/a on my build. Just saying
          Last edited by Restless; 03-30-2011, 02:29 AM.

Comment

I spoke to a lot of tuners and shops and it's the gaskets that are crappy on the Megan headers that cause them to leak. They have redesigned their gaskets in the new model. It's nothing special, not worth it if your stock manifold is fine. I had a broken flex pipe and I got this instead of OEM.
            Current:
            2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
            1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
            1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

the gasket is what leaks on these ebay headers. just buy felpro gasket from summitracing.com and you should be fine.

performance wise, well it's a generic header so don't expect anything big.
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

my gf got one for her cb7 and i hate it, the gasket for the header to downpipe blows out instantly and then you have to buy a headman gasket from summit cause the mating surfaces are not machined very well so they dont sit flush when bolted together.

the gasket seals nicely but if you have to take it off you need to replace it as it has a white resin the melts to seal... this would normally not be a problem except the header has a problem about ever 4 months...

the angle is worng so it points toward the ground putting alot of pressure on the cheap flex pipe that comes with it and only one of the mounting holes for the back of the block lines up... so the flex pipe goes bad within 6 months, i bought a nice one from summit and cut the old one off then welded the new flex pipe on which was gasket 2 for the header.

this allowed the bracket to line up with the back of the block (i mounted it then tacked the flex pipe on to be sure it would fit) thinking it would help take some stress off the flexpipe... instead it ripped the mounting plate out of the header, weld and all, leaving a huge hole in both down pipes...

so i had to take it off again and weld in a patch pipe and reattach the bracket with proper weld... gasket 3.

so yeah they are junk... to good to be true.

on the other hand my h22 DC header uses factory honda crush rings which are reuseable and able to be bought at local parts store... so i have had no problems with seal or removal...

go dc
                Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

thanks guys, well I'm just gonna say now, getting a bisimoto or hytech or even a dc sport header is way out of the question. My parents would murder me if I spent that much on my car since I'm supposed to be saving for college. Still, I've determined while going over my car that the flex pipe is definitely bad and getting a header will also let me get rid of the loose exhaust shields and the large cover under the hood which is horribly rusted for some reason. What I'm getting is that I if I get the Megan Racing header, I should immediately get a better gasket. To the best of my experience felpro has made only semi-reliable gasket so I'm just gonna spring however much extra a proper copper gasket will cost me (Summit Racing is 25 minutes away). Thanks for your input

Comment

I have reused the factory gasket without fail.

Comment

sorry about the rant, i have just been frustrated with the thing since day one. i agree with price i would never pay what dc wants, i actually bought my header off a member on here dirt cheap, it had dented down pipes and a bad flex pipe, so i had to put a new flex pipe and cut and reweld the down pipes... but overall removal an installation is better with a dc which uses honda factory rings in each tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
                        I have reused the factory gasket without fail.
                        So OEM may be better or cheaper?

Comment

you can only use an oem gasket to mate with the head, which i highly recomend, you can sometimes get away with reusing the old one with a layer of copper spray on each side.

but the 2nd gasket where the header splits uses a diffrent type of gasket than stock, not sure how you could use and OEM gasket on the split... but you can definatly on the head.

Comment

Hey just another question to the guys who own a m-r header, is the header 2.5" through? I can't find that number on any ads for it or on the megan racing website...

Comment

mine worked great for like 4 years but yes like alot of cheap headers it has a small crack by one of the welds easy fix though, you can feel a lil more tq and hp but not much

Comment

Working...
                              X