Longer 5th Gear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer 5th Gear ?

Hey guys, long time no see. Quick question, i currently have a M2B4 Transmission. I am having a horrible time on the highway 70mph with this transmission is about 4k rpm, WAY to high for me. Is there anyways i can swap out the 5th gear with a longer/taller gear ?
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

I believe an Accord 5th is what people have been doing to solve that.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201115

Comment

Yes, this. But good luck finding someone to tackle such a project. I've been trying to find someone brave enough for a while though

Comment

Ive done it myself having never opened a transmission before, only going by that thread and the Prelude HELMS manual.
          Its not all that daunting once you get into it, the HELMS manual really holds your hand and shows you what to do.

Preparation of your work area, patience and common sense is the key.

Comment

Don't tempt me to open my transmission :P

Comment

Originally posted by NTYPE View Post
              Its not all that daunting once you get into it, the HELMS manual really holds your hand and shows you what to do.

This^

Once you get in there it becomes surprisingly straight forward. Like anything else, just keep organised to minimize any mistakes.

I've read your MRT. So if I can do it, you should have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by NTYPE View Post
                Ive done it myself having never opened a transmission before, only going by that thread and the Prelude HELMS manual.

^This is my take on it. ^

Originally posted by tishock View Post
                This^

Once you get in there it becomes surprisingly straight forward. Like anything else, just keep organised to minimize any mistakes.

I've read your MRT. So if I can do it, you should have no problems.
                tutsuo, you can search tishock's ^ created threads for some great info regarding the procedure. It's very useful with a ton of videos. It's titled something to the effect of "swap chronicles" and it helped me in several areas. All I have used is a copy of the service manual. Helms would be quite a bit safer for a first timer. I've been into a few prior but with help so I had a bit more of an idea prior. I've never swapped 5th gear but I've had it off in my hand and that was about a week ago which I have kept track of in my MRT.
                Last edited by H311RA151N; 06-10-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I had an LX/DX 5th gear from an accord put in my M2B4, Guy charged me 150 for labor to rebuild it and shim the 5th gear to fit. im not sure what he did exactly but it was done in a week's time. He also did the mainshaft and countershaft bearings at the same time. My total cost was I think 400 for everything including the 220 i spent at the dealer on the 5th gear syncro sleeve set and 2 bearings.

I had a popping out 5th gear so my prelude 5th was messed up anyways and had to be replaced.

I got my accord gear off Wed3k for a good deal. i think he works in a tranny shop or did at the time back in 2012.

one thing to note though...if you do a lot of high RPM shifting from 4th to 5th, it'll wear out the 5th syncro pretty quickly as I already have some grinding at high RPMs going into 5th in the span of 20k miles and 2 yrs. So you'll want to not do 7.5k shifts into 5th, unlike me. hahah.

Also, you'll be out of VTEC when shifting into 5th at like 120mph, and its pretty hard to gain momentum in 5th gear out of VTEC so your top speed will suffer, but you shouldn't be going that fast anyways.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys, the gears in my transmission are too short. At 65-70mph in 5th gear I am around 4k rpm. Way to high. I will attempt to swap the 5th gears. If I can get a part number ill buy the gear ASAP and try it.

I hope these gears aren't expensive.
                    Last edited by tutsuo; 06-14-2015, 11:44 AM.
                    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
                    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

You could try the Parts Wanted section in Classifieds. Some one may have a set laying around in their garage.

Comment

I too am going to try this. Already started to look for a 5th gear from a F22. Nooo idea what I'm looking for or doing, which is a nice change of feeling

Comment

Ok so iv found some part numbers that should be a direct swap with my transmission.... All parts have been discontinued

EDIT:: I FOUND HOPE ! http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle...1=&inputstate=

I guess now, is there a way to find out if the parts are compatible ?

I am currently look at
                          F22 92-93 Accord (0.685) h2u5
                          23461-PX5-A41 COUNTERSHAFT FIFTH
                          23581-PX5-A41 MAINSHAFT FIFTH

I have read on other forum that its been done and works, however, you have to make sure you follow specs to the "T" !
                          Last edited by tutsuo; 06-15-2015, 11:10 PM.

Comment

It's not a direct fit. The Accord 5th gear has to be shaved to fit in a close-ratio transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                              It's not a direct fit. The Accord 5th gear has to be shaved to fit in a close-ratio transmission.
                              What do you mean shaved? To much material on sticking out of the center of the gears? Both or just mainshaft? and do I need machine shop it ? Should the thickness of the F22 gear match the H22 gear ?
                              Last edited by tutsuo; 06-17-2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X