The right to a fair trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
    As we all know..when in a court room...you swear to tell the truth....with a hand on a Bible...."So help me God" Sorry but it (the religion) is there already.
    This is true, and there has been some consternation over it along with the other seemingly "tight" references to religion in government proceedings. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to refer to any specifics.

IMO, it shouldn't be this way; religion and government should not intertwine, and therefore any argument based on religion or a religious artifact is necessarily invalid. That's not to say that religion is bad, or that the principles/values/artifacts of the religion are bad and can't overlap with such basis for government, but the rationale of "religion(s) X(, and Y, and Z) believe such and such, and some portion of the population is in some manner indoctrinated there-in, therefore we should turn to religion(s) X(, and Y, and Z) for our basis" is just non-sense.

We can (read: I am willing to) go down this rabbit hole, but at a certain point things will turn into a seemingly religious debate just given the nature of the topic and the parties (me, and necessarily someone debating the opposite who likely is religious and believes the alternative about the separation of church and state) wishing to go down the hole (have the debate). This is why we can't have nice things.

Mods: Is this crossing the line regarding involving religion? I'm genuinely curious as I'm not calling out any religion in particular, just discussing stances on the separation of church and state (religion and government in the U.S.).

Either way, I think continuing the discussion regarding government and politics in general is awesome, and something people should do a lot more of. You know what they say about an informed voting population...

Comment

My interest now lies in your coupe. As I have the exact same one. And no I hate talking religion and I don't like government debates either. I was just posting what I know and let it go from that. As someone said and I agree 100% - outcomes of cases do depend on the jury one gets..but then again a judge can overrule a decision (which I see as ...if he can do that, why is there a case anyway?) So to summarize... we have juries who are picked at random and decide on cases that could be beyond their intelligence an your life depends on 12 of then deemed your "peers" Just reading that...we know the answer to "is it fair?"

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Just remember..life is not a quest to do good by God so that you go to heaven, it's to have a relationship with God before then.
        Not in any way trying to talk religion, just wanting to acknowledge this post and say thank you

My interest now lies in your coupe. As I have the exact same one. And no I hate talking religion and I don't like government debates either. I was just posting what I know and let it go from that. As someone said and I agree 100% - outcomes of cases do depend on the jury one gets..but then again a judge can overrule a decision (which I see as ...if he can do that, why is there a case anyway?) So to summarize... we have juries who are picked at random and decide on cases that could be beyond their intelligence an your life depends on 12 of then deemed your "peers" Just reading that...we know the answer to "is it fair?"
        Isn't it interesting that a judge CAN overrule the jury?

So who is really in charge you know?

And I think its outrageous that some stupid jury can let you off the hook(casey anthony) and then you are free and clear forever. But then if you are found guilty, you can appeal to no end and argue until you are blue in the face with anyone willing to listen in an attempt to squirm out of trouble.

People (guilty people) spend decades in prison SCREAMING IM INNOCENT when they where caught red handed. Those people eventually get out of prison, all the while refusing to admit fault, and then they re-enter society equally a peice of shit.

When someone refuses to acknowledge their role in a situation and refuses to be held accountable, I personally think they should be denied parole. I mean whats the point of sending someone to prison if the entire time they are there they are saying,"Fuck you Im innocent" and them never actually having to man up and own their actions?

People eventually get out, and if they don't live/grow/learn from prison, they re-offend. Its crazy that we let anyone out of prison that hasn't atleast owned their actions. Regardless of sentence duration.
        Last edited by toycar; 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Anyone who places faith in 12 random people who don't want to be there and could care less about you and your case, are just stupid.

It's a no brainer that a group of judges who know the law in and out can make a better decision then 12 people who are looking for any way to get out of it.

Most people dread jury duty. It is suppose to be your civic duty and you're supposed to take honor in helping your fellow man but clearly it's a big joke. Not saying everyone is like that, but obv most people are.

Im sure a lot of people have done it at least once on here, so im sure you have all seen the people that show up and how hard they try to get out of it.

That's who you want deciding your fate!?

Comment

Apparently they want the dead too...my wife has be sequestered twice even after I told them she passed. Same thing with voting..her name was on the list. She may get arrested for not showing up for jury duty.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
            New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
            My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

My interest now lies in your coupe. As I have the exact same one.
              Nice. I couldn't find an MRT for your 2-door; do you have one?

Comment

why should it matter what color the jury is? why should it matter what color the defendant or victim is?

Zimmerman was attacked by this suspended, street-roaming, weed-smoking, juvenile ( who should have been in bed ready for school the following morning ) and Zimmerman rightfully defended himself.

Lets take all of the names, faces, and races out of the equation!
                If someone attacked you on the street, you dont know if they are out to severely hurt you or kill you, but I for one wouldnt sit there and get beat on to find out. Anyone carrying a weapon, in their right mind, would certainly use it. Case closed, Free Zimmerman!
                frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Working...
                X