Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats it mean when a shifter shakes after you let off the gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats it mean when a shifter shakes after you let off the gas?

So engines are my thing, and lately I've been digging into transmissions.

Curious if anyone out there can tell me/explain what exactly causes a shifter to wobble after you let off the gas?

It seems common on a worn tranny, maybe its related to a shifter bushing or shift linkage or worn stop ring or a bad shim or ??

Anyone know whats up with that? I have been studying and reading and reading on transmissions, and this particular symptom is one that has me scratching me head for a definitive answer.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

I noticed that it only takes slight pressure to pop it out of gear when it's like that. That was on a JY transmission I put in an Eclipse though. I'd say something is worn.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
      I noticed that it only takes slight pressure to pop it out of gear when it's like that. That was on a JY transmission I put in an Eclipse though. I'd say something is worn.
      But see thats the thing, a shifter is attached to the pushfork through a series of linkages, and its not like a gearset gets wobbly in the tranny. The main shaft and counter shaft are not what gets all loosey goosey.

If that was the case, then it would do it in every gear. Its usually specific to 1 gear though, which makes me feel like its something in the shift linkage or the pushfork. Most likely a shift linkage issue is what I am thinking, but not really sure. Anything else that makes sense, like a bent push fork, would make you think the symptoms would be present in every gear. Not just one.
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

When you let off the gas, the engine torques back...but that's a jerk not a shake, and that would be damped by the cables so that kind of rules the mounts out.

It's probably a bad bushing, cables don't "halfway" work...they either do or don't.

What happens if you nudge the shifter back to neutral while in gear?

I'm no transmission expert either...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

check your cable bushings, one of them could be worn out on either end of the shift cable.

A company, CorSport, makes new shift cable bushings for our cables. I think it runs 28 a kit. They're made out of a harder material than the stock rubber for a more positive engagement.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

^Not to go way OT, but check into Hybrid Racing's bushings, the large bushing needs to move in 2 directions, therefore it has to be a spherical bearing. Corsport, TWM and Torque Solution will work but with added effort due to almost binding. I didn't realize it at first but IMO HR is the way to go. Play around w/ the 2 arms on the tranny and you'll see why.

I'm not sure if this problem is for another car, but I've seen/driven other manual cars w/ a solid linkage (no cables) and soft mounts and the shifter would move when letting off the gas. Both rod linkages are attached to the tranny, and when the engine/tranny rock from soft motor mounts, so does the shifter. That's what I've witnessed but never from a CB or similar w/ shift cables!

Comment

Working...
            X