Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are forums fading out, or do they just burn red hot till they are done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a big part of the decline of auto forums was the economic downturn too. ~10 years ago everyone was flush with cash and gas was dirt cheap. Now gas is expensive and people are recovering but still bummed about the economy. I remember in 06 when I bought coilovers for my Maxima... I dropped like 2K into that car. W/the Z now I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin again.

Plus again w/the economy... when I was 22-24 I was making good dough. Thats not so much the case for the avg person that age now.

I think here another thing is a lot of people just got older and grew out of it. Only CB7T dudes I know personally from the OG days have either long moved on or are deep into serious CB builds, but on their own outside of the community. I like CBs but from a distance... I'd rather put that money into a bike, a better chassis or just keep it in the bank. Looking back, I wasted crazy money on cars. I wish I had all that money now.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Speaking of which I wish almostjdm would finish his rb swap
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

I think as the cars get older, people move on to newer platforms. This results in a lopsided balance of newcomers and idiots. This forum doesn't seem to be that way, which is why I like it. It also has alot of good info that can be searched which other forums do not.

On g2ic, i would get people trying to tell me info all about the 2nd gen integra that was utterly wrong. I have owned my integra since 91 when it was new before these so called experts were born. After a while, I stop visiting.

Crv forums are filled with non enthusiasts who have a hard time with oem accessories. I did a few diy over there but there just to many stupid people who don't have clue want to argue over dumb things. Everything has to be spoon fed or they get upset. I really think some them expected me to go to there house and do it for them. I had people taking credit for my work as their own. Then as first gen crv started to get cheap, the ricers started showing up. I haven't been on the crv forum in a long time.

The people make the forums, with bad people and bad info, I can see forums fade out. I also think as the forums get older, the archived info is very important. If Information from when a forum was a hot bed of activity is lost, the really technical stuff may never get recreated. Some of my stuff was lost on the crv forum and no one else will ever recreate it.

I am not on facebook, but i can't see how anyone will get/keep detailed information from it. Long term, this forum will probably outlast it.
        Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I can't speak to much of forums in general as this is the only forum I have taken part in. I had not had an e-mail address since aol in 1999 and created one to join this forum. I do believe the very platform forums are based on effects the performance of forums. Technology. Internet gaming, Instagram words with friends ect. What is a teenager to do on a forum these days? Talk about another forum?
          That being said as far as car enthusiast go first I blame the kids. I have a cousin who is 22-23 who would drive literally anything "stanced" but can't do a brake job. He has had a civic and a prelude with blown motors for a year now while he gets a ride everywhere he goes. He plays call of duty 29 10 hours a day though so he knows his way around an x-box remote. There are forums for that, I dunno what they talk about..." My thumbs are so fast"? Those forums might be thriving.
          Next I blame myself and those alike. Back in my high school and shortly there after days I would stay awake for 2-3 days swapping a jdm motor, new system or rolling my fenders for new 17's. There was me and about four or five up to ten ( depending on how I count them) other friends who could tell you the size of any bolt on a honda civic/crx to this day. There where other cars, a sentra ser, an s10 or two slammed. All of it was exciting, cool and interesting. Let's fast forward to today. I work on my car more than ever now it's just that none of it is cool. None. I now like factory wheels, tail lights, exhaust. Factory everything. (My exhaust is a cannon but it was cheap). I do things now like put the four door trunk lid on a two door, or put the factory grill in for a while. I have a custom one with the Acura A in it. That excludes me from the average population and you guys. Boring....snooze. I do ball joints, bearings, tune ups. I know I won't personally bring traffic to this site. A 17 year old kid is never gonna google wheel bearing installation. I might never do another engine swap because I'm boring. I was actually researching the h22 swap for a couple years at the time I joined this forum. I was leaning more toward the f22b but in the end decided my motor is strong,doesn't burn oil, or do anything wrong I'll wait on the swap and join this forum. Basically excitement brings traffic, this would be one of the most popular forums on the internet if the next civic si motor mounted right up to a cb and and the pt6 ecu gave it ten more hp than it had in the civic. If that happened this site could charge a monthly fee and double the members on this forum. We'll I gotta run out and check my fluid levels.
          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Okay you've generalized A LOT of today's youth in the car scene. Sorry but I have googled wheel bearing removal and instillation, I'm freshly 19. Most guys my age who are into cars and modifying, know their shit and have no problem asking questions on forums. It's the idiot kids who didn't fit in, in high school and tried to hard to be someone they aren't that literally ruin the tuning scene. These are the asswipes that will tell you it's okay to cut your springs because "it made my car ride better when I slammed it". These are the same kids that will buy a p.o.s. Car then complain that it's crappy and say "all Hondas fucking suck. They're crappy and don't run". Sorry but you you bought that crap can. No one told you to buy it. Their excuse is usually "I just needed a car and I didn't really want to spend anything to fix it."

I bought my cb for $550 KNOWING it had a knocking engine, my plan was to swap in an h22. I ended up with another f22a1, can i complain? No. My plans with this car aren't to go buy a set of XXRs and then drop it on eBay coilovers. I'm gonna take my time and save up for my enkie 92s and buy some FnF type 2s and replace my entire suspension over time.

Kids these days..we are soooooo fucking use to having shit handed to us and spoon fed that when older guys (OG members on forums) tell us to search for it and actually try it yourself we get pissy. We want everything we see and want it right now. That can be said for my whole generation (gen y). I fortunately am not like that. I have no problem searching for answers and doing a bit of research for something like suspension. I even took auto mechanics in high school. I LIKE working on my car. Built not bought. These kids don't know what that means....it's really a shame then they bash anyone and everyone who actually works on their car and doesn't follow the trend. AND THEY TRY TO ACT LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THEYRE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT. it's honestly mostly Civic, Teggy, and K series dudes...I seriously cannot stand them.

/Rant

Now I do feel like forums are dying...look at CD5tuner..it's a ghost town over there.
            Last edited by ThatOneAccord; 02-14-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I have been feeling bad all morning about the generalization I made, however still believe what I said is killing the next generation of automobile enthusiasts. I think I will put an edit that says if you have googled wheel bearing replacement I don't mean you. Maybe not, its not like every guy my age can change his own oil. I just believe the stats are going the wrong way.

Comment

my shits "stanced" and i build engines lol. i just prefer the look...
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

holy blooper wed3k you're still alive i thought you fall off the face of the earth .

cb7 calling most people this gen are just to lazy to do there own dam work.
                  this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                  How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                  Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

ive been checking cb7tuner every single day lol. i dont go into the technical sections anymore because it seems like everyone else has it handled.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Accord problems View Post
                      holy blooper wed3k you're still alive i thought you fall off the face of the earth .

cb7 calling most people this gen are just to lazy to do there own dam work.
                      Which I stated in my rant lol. My generation is lazy as hell. Everything was spoon fed to us

Comment

I don't have any problem with stance I was stancing in 2000, I think it looks sweet. My point was more like that quote I forget who said it, " noobs be like where can I buy stance yo" something like that, I butchered it. I'm on this site so much when I see sparkle paper towels at the grocery store all I can think about is h22 sparkle.
                        And on the topic forums are as good as the subject matter. I wanted a cb7 since they first came out. I liked the 89 accord aside from the flip up headlights. Then bam my wish came true. I can see this forum around 40 years from now when the cb7 becomes the 57 Chevy of the future. Ok

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                          Built not bought.
                          What does this mean? You have to buy parts to build a car. And I don't really see anything wrong with buying someone else's project, or paying someone to do the labor on a build if I can't or don't want to. I never got this slogan; just kinda seemed like a cheap way to snipe at people with more money

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

There's a certain degree of prestige associated with putting a car together with your own hands, according to your own design. "Built, not bought" refers to the fact that you built your own car according to your own plans, rather than just picking one off a showroom floor, or picking up someone else's custom work to call your own.

I feel that the meaning of it has been lost over the years, though. If you're bragging that your POS is "built, not bought"... then you're basically saying "this turd right here is the very best I can do... I'm proud of it, and you should praise it!"
                            It also works best with cars that have had a good deal of creativity put into them. Wherm's Prelude dash conversion, lodollar92lx's old turbo frankenstein build (I hate those engines, but IMO, he did it right... or as close to right as possible), or cincy90h22 supercharger setup.
                            Simply buying some XXRs, a $500 bolt-on "ebay" turbo kit, some $400 coilovers, and a few overpriced JDM bits doesn't necessarily mean your car is "built". That's about as "built" as is a Lego model where you just followed the instructions!
                            Doesn't mean it's not a nice car, or that you shouldn't be proud of it and enjoy it... but it's hardly "built".

Comment

Its OK to be proud of your car, I guess, if that's what you choose to do. I think I have grown out of that. I love my Z, and eventually I hope to make it a little more "me", but at the end of the day it's just a car. I would sell it today if the situation called for it. My gripe with the slogan is the passive aggressive dig at...I don't know who. Like you said, a Raceland coilover'd POS is no better because you installed the parts with your hands or whatever.

Unrelated question... Deev wouldn't it make more sense to censor the web addresses of those spammers, rather than essentially advertise them in your sig? Just an idea

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                                ive been checking cb7tuner every single day lol. i dont go into the technical sections anymore because it seems like everyone else has it handled.
                                Same here.

I don't post much anymore, not that I ever did post a lot to begin with. But I've been putting my car off until I graduate. I'm on here everyday to look around and threads that catch my eye it's often there was enough input already so I don't bother beating a dead horse.
                                '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Working...
                                X