Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are forums fading out, or do they just burn red hot till they are done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I feel that the meaning of it has been lost over the years, though. If you're bragging that your POS is "built, not bought"... then you're basically saying "this turd right here is the very best I can do... I'm proud of it, and you should praise it!"
    Pure gold.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
      Its OK to be proud of your car, I guess, if that's what you choose to do. I think I have grown out of that. I love my Z, and eventually I hope to make it a little more "me", but at the end of the day it's just a car. I would sell it today if the situation called for it. My gripe with the slogan is the passive aggressive dig at...I don't know who. Like you said, a Raceland coilover'd POS is no better because you installed the parts with your hands or whatever.

Unrelated question... Deev wouldn't it make more sense to censor the web addresses of those spammers, rather than essentially advertise them in your sig? Just an idea
      Depending on how you build a car, it can be brag-worthy. The cars I mentioned above are examples of creativity and technical skill, and they've progressed beyond simply bolting parts to "a car". Those are cars that people recognize. They're an expression of the builders' originality. Some emotional connection often occurs at that point. The car becomes more than just a machine with bits bolted to it... and it becomes more like a sculpture; like a work of art.
      Of course, anyone that has such a car has no need to brag about it being "built, not bought". Anyone who doesn't appreciate it for what they see won't appreciate it any better once they hear that! Usually, those guys don't feel the need to brag in such a way anyway. None of the guys I mentioned above are the type to roll up to a brand new Camaro and brag that their cars are nicer, faster, or "better" because they're "built, not bought." Overall, that mentality is more of an elitist attitude associated with the same crowd that insists a car must be "JDM", or that all parts must be "real" (because your $500 Accord with the Plastidip paintjob absolutely NEEDS a $3000 set of Volk TE37s!)

As for the links... no. These people are hassling me because Google is penalizing them for links placed on this site by way of bogus member profiles created sometime in 2012. They have sent me numerous emails requesting that I remove those links so the penalties will stop, yet never respond to my replies when I tell them to remove them themselves. They put them there, after all!
      Since I've been ignored, threatened, and harassed multiple times by each of these companies, I decided to put their links in my signature. Now, instead of getting Google penalties due to 3 or 4 links located in the contact info of a few bogus profiles, they can enjoy the benefits of having those links placed in all 50,000+ posts of mine, dating back to 2003. Each post has a unique URL, so the Google "Disavow Link Tool" is absolutely useless to them... unless, of course, they wish to disavow 50,000 links.

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
      Same here.

I don't post much anymore, not that I ever did post a lot to begin with. But I've been putting my car off until I graduate. I'm on here everyday to look around and threads that catch my eye it's often there was enough input already so I don't bother beating a dead horse.
      When a site gets to the age and level of saturation as this one, there's really not all that much to add. Everyone helps out a little, shares their progress, shares the occasional new discovery... and we continue to grow. Growth isn't like it was in the beginning, but the most interesting and creative projects occur at this point. It's just more... specialized.

We have yet to see a supercharged F22A, or an AWD conversion.

Many forums have died out by the decade mark. A number of the larger all-encompassing Honda sites have declined considerably over the years. Some taken over by corporations, some ignored or abandoned by those that operate them... some just lost their core audience and never really built up a new one.
      A site like this one has never been as active as Honda-Tech, but it has a bit more staying power. It's specific. You come here for CB7 info. The community isn't Facebook-active... but it's active. Most questions get an answer in a fairly short amount of time, and OT conversations often move reasonably quickly.
      I feel smaller, more specific forums such as this one have a much better chance of remaining. The initial hot burn has passed, but we're steadily cruising, with no signs of truly slowing.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        We have yet to see a supercharged F22A, or an AWD conversion.
        Is that a hint of some type lol? I'm going to keep my H and at least didn't have any plans to change the drive train. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in once I get settled into the new job. Yes I have plans to keep the Honda and continue the work, but I have reservations for another car I've been wanting for 10 years that I will finally be able to afford, and that will take up a decent part of my budget.
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

What does this mean? You have to buy parts to build a car. And I don't really see anything wrong with buying someone else's project, or paying someone to do the labor on a build if I can't or don't want to. I never got this slogan; just kinda seemed like a cheap way to snipe at people with more money
          Okay let's just clear this up, my parents have money so that isn't a "dig" at people with more money. But I'm not going to spend money on something that I can do to my car, myself. Paint, bodywork, and major engine repairs yea that can and should be done in a shop (in my case) but after that. I'm building my car for me. And buying someone else's project just isn't smart. And with the way the crowd is now, many actually do that and try to pass the work off as their own.

I honestly feel like if you don't want to work ok your car then why are you even modding it in the first place, it's lazy as hell too. I'd rather spend my time putting the parts on my car, that I bought. It's not someone else's project, it's mine and I'm going to work on it.

Comment

We're getting way off topic here, but before we bring it back, I do want to comment.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with "bought" in many cases. Buying someone else's project is risky, and if it's a very unique design visually, it's lame to pass that off as your own. However, if you are lacking the space, tools, knowledge, or desire to do major work to your own car, I see nothing wrong with paying to have it modified. The guys that like to belittle anyone that doesn't turn their own wrench are asshats. Unless, of course, someone is paying to have the work done, then claiming to have done it themselves.

I understand engines. I understand performance modifications. I understand quite a bit, and given the time and the tools, i could do quite a bit. However, I don't enjoy wrenching anymore. The bloody knuckles, the sore back, the broken bolts/boots/bushings/etc... due to carelessness or unfamiliarity as I learn... all things I don't care to deal with anymore. I have NO problem paying someone to do my work for me when it comes to more involved things. Does it make me less of an enthusiast? I don't believe so. Does it make me less of a mechanic? Absolutely... but I never claimed to be one!
            I'm an investigator, and I'm good at what I do. Rather than fumble my way through mechanical stuff that I don't yet know (and don't really care to), I'd rather do what I AM good at to earn money to pay for what I want done.
            However, I will learn at least the basics of anything I have done to my project cars, even when I'm not the one doing the work. I want to understand what is being done, and why.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
              Okay let's just clear this up, my parents have money so that isn't a "dig" at people with more money. But I'm not going to spend money on something that I can do to my car, myself. Paint, bodywork, and major engine repairs yea that can and should be done in a shop (in my case) but after that. I'm building my car for me. And buying someone else's project just isn't smart. And with the way the crowd is now, many actually do that and try to pass the work off as their own.

I honestly feel like if you don't want to work ok your car then why are you even modding it in the first place, it's lazy as hell too. I'd rather spend my time putting the parts on my car, that I bought. It's not someone else's project, it's mine and I'm going to work on it.
              Passing off someone else's work as your own or not knowing anything about your car but being all haughty about it is shitty no matter what. That doesn't have anything to do with whether you pay to have someone else do your work or you do it yourself.

For little mickey mouse shit, fine. I can do a CB7 suspension in about 2 hours with hand tools if there arent any seized bolts. I did the rear brakes and an oil change on my Z. But I'm not gonna buy a lathe, press, engine lift etc etc, and also take a gamble with fucking up parts and shit for a one time project a good shop will do right for way less money and headaches. Not to mention, wrench time is work, but money doesnt fall out of the sky... all the money I spent on getting work done, I had to work for. So yea I guess for some little teenager with a blank check from mommy and daddy "built not bought" is legit, but even still it's really just jealousy. In any case though, I'm a grown man and I work for what I have... so if I want to buy someone else's build, or pay someone to put my shit together, what's wrong with that?

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Regarding the forum, Deev... you've touched on this, but with CBs basically being relegated to people w/not too much dough and dedicated enthusiasts, where do you see the forum going? I know two guys for example, one doing a monster turbo build, another one doing a K-swap... neither of em are really active on the boards anymore though. Do you think it would be possible to get those guys active again, while having all the noobs here too? Maybe we need an OG's corner or something that's off limits to folks before a certain post date or something. Lot of folks are doing exciting stuff, and there's def a contingent of guys who were here from way before who are pretty close, but I think the n00bs kind of turned em off.

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  ive been checking cb7tuner every single day lol. i dont go into the technical sections anymore because it seems like everyone else has it handled.
                  I've been apart of this forum for about a decade now, I'm checking new posts several times a day. Although I don't post much, as wed3k says, everyone else has it handle. When I find it important enough to post I do, I update folks with my build, because I too like reading about innovative mods and new diys. Ive learned an intense amount of information from this site, mostly from the start of the last decade, but regardless, my CB wouldn't be what it is today without this site. It was because of this forum, my love of the CB chassis is what it is. If i had never found this forum, I almost definately wouldnt still be building a CB.

Another member commented earlier about wishing he had the money that he had sunk into his cb over the years, well doesnt everyone? But without spending that money the way you or I did, we wouldnt have learned what we have, isnt that life. Not necessarially, in the negative sence, "you live and you learn", but saying that you learn by doing. I wouldnt give back that knowledge back any day, even for all that money. Point being I really wouldn't be the person I am today without my CB, and CBt, as corny as that sounds.

Regarding the forum, Deev... you've touched on this, but with CBs basically being relegated to people w/not too much dough and dedicated enthusiasts, where do you see the forum going? I know two guys for example, one doing a monster turbo build, another one doing a K-swap... neither of em are really active on the boards anymore though. Do you think it would be possible to get those guys active again, while having all the noobs here too? Maybe we need an OG's corner or something that's off limits to folks before a certain post date or something. Lot of folks are doing exciting stuff, and there's def a contingent of guys who were here from way before who are pretty close, but I think the n00bs kind of turned em off.
                  Touching back to what I was just saying about living and LEARNING, a lot of the noobs theses days want to be spoon fed. I know the OG's have bitched plenty about this but o don't think it has run them off either. The older members, are exactly that, they're older now. With careers, families, and face it more problems to deal with than schooling some newb asking how to lower his cb. Its the generations, its different now than what it was 10 years ago. Young people are lazy these days, they're not like we were. The work ethic isn't what it used to be, and you can apply that however you want. Be it the search button, or actually out in the workplace. When I was young I was all about the money, working 60-80 hours a week just to put the money into my car. Granted the economy was a little better then, if people wouldn't expect something from nothing maybe the economy wouldn't be where it is now. But that's a whole other can of worms. As cool as an OG section would be that wouldn't keep the forum alive. Its the new members that are going to have to be the ones to do that. The only thing that this forum has against it is the fact that these cars are 20+ years old. Just like any car, they are totaled, and rusted out, and just plain neglected by the non-enthusiast. Eventually this cars will be a piece of history, like classic muscle cars. This site will then become a place of only OG's, remenicant of old times, taking Sunday joyrides, and selling off their collection of hoarded jdm parts. Lol. On an off note, we need a classic accord parts company. Selling sheet metal, glass, interior panels, crate engines etc. That would be awesome.

I think I got off track a few times but i think a forum like this one will be around as long as the vehicle that supports it is plentiful enough.

Comment

There are a lot of facets to the tuner hierarchy you have built not bought, then you didn't buy it at the right place so you are ruining the scene at the other end. So you have 4,000 dollar wheels and I like factory alloys....ok. You built it I bought it ok. So basically you feel like you are the only one that can build it and you feel like you are the only one that can buy it....ok.The real value of this forum I believe is the priceless knowledge. No body built or bought diagnostic skills. We all stood on each other's shoulders in some form to get the knowledge we now have. Keeping these cars on the road directly effects the longevity of this forum, and I'm all about at least half of the aforementioned statement.
                    Last edited by cb7 calling; 02-17-2014, 09:18 AM. Reason: Ehhh
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I found this thread while doing a search for "methanol". What?! h22sparkle mentioned it, barely. (I also think of him too when I see those paper towels.) So the search function is still a great tool.
                      I didn't realize right away it was an old thread as it opened up at the end of January...2014.

Can't believe only 4 pages were posted. Kind of makes the point of the title. It's run its course. There's nothing new to talk about. The car and OG members are getting older, and there are less aftermarket parts and people interested. It will become a place for the die hard like those classic car forums people mentioned. Our cars are "classic" cars by most DMV age standards. It's now an archive for anything CB7 related and more. There's good info here for all Hondas and cars in general. But there's no need for interaction on an archive.

That's why I scan the OT more than anything, to read a story about something funny or serious. CB7Tuner to me NOW, is primarily a place people can come to have great interaction (but with more purpose than Facebook), then to talk general cars, and lastly to talk about 4th gen Accords. Even if I was working on my CB7 I doubt I would be scanning or posting about it much. But I'll stick around till the end, of here, or me.

I think organizing the DIYs was a great idea. I think people making interesting lasting threads in OT is great. And I'd be down for a meet in the Spring/Summer even with peoples "other" cars. For those that no longer have a CB7 or haven't ran theirs in forever, they can bring a photo and reminisce of what it used to be like, or talk about the plans that were never fulfilled.
                      Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                      -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                      MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

I think the DIY section is pretty much all we have left for new content. Many DIYs are outdated or incomplete. Many are lacking pictures for one reason or another (sadly, we can't host them here.)

We organized them a bit better, but I never did more forward with the incentives to create new ones, or redo old ones. I'm hoping to get on that this Spring. When browsing through the current DIYs, I see lots of things that I'd never have thought of myself. That leads me to believe there are plenty of creative ideas left.

But yeah, for the most part, this place is simply an archive. There's the occasional post asking for help because they were unable (or unwilling) to find what they needed via a search. New members occasionally get integrated into the community, but for the most part, it's a bunch of OG people with CBs that are broken or long gone talking to each other.

Comment

I think arguing about built or bought is part of the reason there is no activity here.

For fucks sake, who gives a shit?

I see nothing wrong with people buying projects and making it their own, or paying a shop to do ALL their work.

I doubt most F1 drivers do any work on their cars....that is why shops exist.

And of course doing everything yourself, or falling somewhere in between is fine too.

Passing off others work as your own is shitty unless you paid a shop to do it(tis not really your work per say, but you paid for the labor)

So why must we argue about dumb shit?

Its not a fucking jealous jab, its claiming the pride one takes in doing their own work. If you can't or won't do the same work, then isn't claiming someone else is jealous the same as taking pride in the fact that you did do the work?

Two sides to everything.

As far as the forum is concerned, its long been dead. Lets stop beating the horse.

The OG and interested(lest I say diehard) people like myself still float around.

There are people who are commited and reg post.

And there will always be newbs, good and bad.

But the core of it is gone, because like has been said, its just really an archive and thats cool. Everyone seems to be getting what they need from this place, but it just won't ever be the cb7tuner of 2003.

That's OK though, change is good. I would put money down that this forum has yet to see its best days. No shit.

Comment

Things change. With the constant advancement in technology and information being readily available much faster than it was 15 years ago, I have to say that forums aren't really dyeing out after a quick rise. There's just always something new.

There are forums for many topics, and if it's one that's popular (let's say ls1tech), it'll be on fire for a very long time. The reason is, I think that it is probably one of the most sought after motors (Chevy LS1) to swap into vehicles from all over the world. When you have a commodity like that, it'll stay relevant for a very long time.

It depends on what the forum is selling (as far as information and conversation).
                            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I am most greatful though. I remember there was a prelude forum that actually wanted to charge its members just to sign in. Most forums die out because of people moving up when it comes down to progression in their own lives,major turning point for most

Comment

This forum almost charged members to join. I was a major part in preventing that (before I was in charge, of course...)

Comment

Working...
                                X