Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep or sell cd5

Hello

Original owner of a neglected cd5 accord chiming in. Car guy for life, will always have something running a custom tune and modded in my drive way. That being said, the cd5 never really did it for me on the "Mod your car" scene and now the thing has turned into a bucket.

Basically I need to change some stuff to get it on the road and I am pretty checked out by the car. But, I also have a motor built for it that I planned on swapping in about 3 years ago before I moved. Motor has been in a storage unit 5 hours away since.

I feel like completely walking away, but, when I lived in Omaha I was briefly interested in modding the car and accumulated a bunch of stuff to do so. Upper and lower control arms, hubs/bearings/ball joints, inner and out tie rods, axles for both sides w/seals and a bunch of other shit.

So, here we are 5 hours away from a garage full of stuff for a cd5 that has been sitting since the move on a flat tire, no battery and has basically turned into a bucket.

If I got it back on the road, it would require belts/fluids/tires/exhaust at a minimum and all of the wear and tear stuff I already purchased but never installed. Good fun, could be a good time, but, not inspired. Currently I have been into modding Ruckus' and I am enjoying that. However, I haven't had a turbo Honda in about two years and it doesn't sound bad to have something to play around with, but if I was going to put all the work and effort into something, I am not really sure I would start with a cd5. No actually I know I wouldn't and that's why I made the thread. I would almost have to force it to make a project car out of this thing. Its not like I would accomplish anything I haven't already done. No fun to be had that hasn't already happened. Nothing special about the car. 5spd 4 dr ex.

Its a grocery getter.

but, playing with cars is fun, and it has been a while, and I do have a motor for this car a few hours away with a boatload of quality parts to throw at it at literally no cost to me since the spending has already been done.

So, ditch the car or keep it and pray to god that something about the car inspires me?

What would you do and why?
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...nda-accord-ex/

Comment

^^^ I didn't know Sav got featured. His accord has always been very tasteful and he is and excellent painter.

On topic now, honestly if you don't have a love for the car now, you probably will never come to love it. Honestly I would sell all the parts and put it towards a car you know you'll enjoy working on. The 96 accord has a nice body line as well can look and run very nicely. But similar to a cb7 to pour in money into a 20 year old car takes love for the chassis not convenience of having everything you need.

You may be able to make it look and drive nice but it will never give you the satisfaction your looking for and you will probably hate the car more than you would if it gave you any issues and cause you to lose more interest. Then you just wasted your already limited time on a project you really could careless about.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

See rexload's thread on justifying his C5. You'll get the same responses in here: only you know if your bond with the car is strong enough to keep it and take it places. You either like it or you don't. I believe that if right now you're not liking it, any inspiration from us is only going to be temporary and sooner or later you're going to come right back to this mindset of, "do I really want this thing anymore?"

I don't even have a car for my engine right now, and haven't for a few years. Every now and then my mind will drift off to a fourth-gen Prelude, or a DC2, or an "EG" hatch to put that engine in. It would be just as easy, and I'd get a better performance package out of the switch. Or hell, for what I've got in the H22 so far, I could probably sell all the parts I've collected, swap a K24 into my RSX, do bolt-ons and a tune, and get the same power in a car that looks a dozen times nicer. But every time, my thoughts come back to the Accord. Excuse the corniness, but I know my heart's with the CB chassis. If you don't keep coming back to your CD, it could very well be time to move on.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-23-2017, 06:09 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I made the decision to sell my 92 wagon recently, mostly because I haven't touched the car in 3 years. I let it sit and it's just getting worse, my options at this point are pull it out of storage and let it rot in my yard, or move it on to someone who will take car of it, use it for parts, etc. Someone else who will have more use out of it since I'm not really interested in Hondas now and don't have the interest in making something happen with this. It is what it is.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I never loved the CD myself. I felt Honda's attention to detail and material quality started to slide after the CB (though the CG was the absolute worst of them.)

Still, the CD could make a nice fun daily. Keep it clean (or clean it up if it needs it), do light modifications that don't compromise comfort, reliability, or fuel economy. Accept that it'll probably never be as fast, luxurious, efficient, or possibly even reliable as many other cars on the road... and enjoy it for what it is. Honestly, I almost wish I had a nice "beater" as a daily. Something I don't really modify, and don't want to modify... but some thing that is good for driving when I don't want to think about driving. In fact, I've been tempted by a few Volvo 960 wagons for that very purpose lately (though maintenance would probably turn it into a bit of a project.)

Comment

thanks for the feedback everyone.

Being original owner and never really inspired by the car is no fault of its own. I have always been more interested in AWD/Turbo

i can say ive never fully given into the JDM thing, and perhaps thats my problem.

i dont look at the car after paying retail and maintaining it all these years and think to myself "yeah, dump another 20 grand in this one"

havent really decided what to do with it though. part of me cringes at the thought of letting it go for nothing after i paid so much for it. decisions decisions
              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I can imagine there's a good deal of sentimental value attached to it. You've owned that car longer than some of our younger members have been alive! The fact that you're the original owner makes it unique in that you know its condition inside and out. You know its history. If you're going to keep an old Honda for any reason at all, that makes a strong case for that particular Honda.
                You could always browse the internet for pictures of modified CD5s. Most these days are a bit juvenile, as that's the way the style seems to have gone (in terms of pretty much all imports...) but I've seen a number of CDs with mild cosmetic modifications that make them look absolutely amazing. Something to stir your imagination might help you decide for sure.

Comment

thinking of keeping.

thanks for the limited feedback. prolly going to get this thing on the road at a minimum.

wife reminds me:
                  I turbocharged the lawnmower, i should be drooling at the chance to mod anything. Wife asks, "what is wrong with you? Go have fun"

so, yeah. Eye opener thats for sure.

Comment

You turbocharged your lawnmower?
                    You, sir, are my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                      Hello

Original owner of a neglected cd5 accord chiming in. Car guy for life, will always have something running a custom tune and modded in my drive way. That being said, the cd5 never really did it for me on the "Mod your car" scene and now the thing has turned into a bucket.

Basically I need to change some stuff to get it on the road and I am pretty checked out by the car. But, I also have a motor built for it that I planned on swapping in about 3 years ago before I moved. Motor has been in a storage unit 5 hours away since.

I feel like completely walking away, but, when I lived in Omaha I was briefly interested in modding the car and accumulated a bunch of stuff to do so. Upper and lower control arms, hubs/bearings/ball joints, inner and out tie rods, axles for both sides w/seals and a bunch of other shit.

So, here we are 5 hours away from a garage full of stuff for a cd5 that has been sitting since the move on a flat tire, no battery and has basically turned into a bucket.

If I got it back on the road, it would require belts/fluids/tires/exhaust at a minimum and all of the wear and tear stuff I already purchased but never installed. Good fun, could be a good time, but, not inspired. Currently I have been into modding Ruckus' and I am enjoying that. However, I haven't had a turbo Honda in about two years and it doesn't sound bad to have something to play around with, but if I was going to put all the work and effort into something, I am not really sure I would start with a cd5. No actually I know I wouldn't and that's why I made the thread. I would almost have to force it to make a project car out of this thing. Its not like I would accomplish anything I haven't already done. No fun to be had that hasn't already happened. Nothing special about the car. 5spd 4 dr ex.

Its a grocery getter.

but, playing with cars is fun, and it has been a while, and I do have a motor for this car a few hours away with a boatload of quality parts to throw at it at literally no cost to me since the spending has already been done.

So, ditch the car or keep it and pray to god that something about the car inspires me?

What would you do and why?
                      I would part it out/sell it and put the money towards something I really want/need.

Comment

Happy to report, after a new battery and some new shoes, the accord is back on the road. filthy as fuck, but, whatever. the cars been sitting foe years. surprised it started so easily. first crank actually..

I dunno, maybe ride thread coming soon?

My current ruckus if anyone is interested. ive had a couple now. Bought this one new. stretch and disc brakes coming soon..
                        Last edited by toycar; 02-28-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I'd say keep it as a daily. I was expected a rusted out bucket (as you put it) but that body is pretty straight and scuff mark on that corner. If you were to do some serious over haul on the motor i.e replacing seals, and anything else that needed major work that car would last you another 10 years tops.

If you go to Honda Society those guys take those gens seriously and there are some tastefully modded ones too.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                          X