CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
Exhaust Questions

Alright, so I just finished reading this really informative post called Exhaust Theory, the link's: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=quiet+muffler, and what I wanted to know is what is the best muffler to use to quiet down my noisy, cat-back exhaust. Would going back to a stock muffler work? Or are there aftermarket options? .......
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
stretch JDM
Contributing Member

stretch JDM seems to have made some friends! stretch JDM seems to have made some friends!
look for a civic si stock muffler, they sound good and have a low tone. also the apex WS2 is a good one as well.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.
stretch JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
What year, though? (as far as the Civic Si muffler goes)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The new ones. Though the Civic Si muffler will still provide a restriction.

Basically, exhaust noise is quieted by restriction. So the quieter you make it, the more you hinder performance.

The best performing and best sounding exhausts out there are: Apexi World Sport 2, Greddy SP, and RS*R ExMag. Any of those would be a good choice. The entire catback system.
I know you can buy the Apexi muffler as an axleback, but I'm not sure about the others. That would work, but not as well as the full thing.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The best performing and best sounding exhausts out there are: Apexi World Sport 2, Greddy SP, and RS*R ExMag. Any of those would be a good choice. The entire catback system.
I know you can buy the Apexi muffler as an axleback, but I'm not sure about the others. That would work, but not as well as the full thing.

Alright, so I did a quick search for the Apexi WS2, and I got these:
156-A013 60MM. INLET OFFSET-LEFT, 105MM TIP 60 105 WS2 $299.00
156-A012 60MM. INLET OFFSET-RIGHT, 105MM TIP 60 105 WS2 $299.00
156-A011 60MM. INLET, 105MM TIP 60 105 WS2 $299.00
156-A010 80MM. INLET, 105MM TIP 80 110 WS2 $299.00

The first two refer to the position of the exhaust tip, right or left, right? and the rest are just measurements.

And what do you mean the "full thing"? Like, re-do the entire system, or just slap that muff on there?

(beeeecause that's $400 more monies. That I don't have haha)
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
mozzandherb
I like turtles

mozzandherb is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
Alright, so I did a quick search for the Apexi WS2, and I got these:
156-A013 60MM. INLET OFFSET-LEFT, 105MM TIP 60 105 WS2 $299.00
156-A012 60MM. INLET OFFSET-RIGHT, 105MM TIP 60 105 WS2 $299.00
156-A011 60MM. INLET, 105MM TIP 60 105 WS2 $299.00
156-A010 80MM. INLET, 105MM TIP 80 110 WS2 $299.00

The first two refer to the position of the exhaust tip, right or left, right? and the rest are just measurements.

And what do you mean the "full thing"? Like, re-do the entire system, or just slap that muff on there?

(beeeecause that's $400 more monies. That I don't have haha)
yes I think Deev is talking about the cat-back exhaust. The choices you have are good ones, there are a ton of good exhausts for our cars. Kteller is another good choice. If you're looking for something that performs well and is not too loud and stealthy looking, I would recommend a 2.25" piping w/ a resonator and the Vibrant flat black muffler. This will give you performance and fly under the radar..just my opinion

SOLD!!
Boosted H22
375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS
mozzandherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzandherb View Post
yes I think Deev is talking about the cat-back exhaust. The choices you have are good ones, there are a ton of good exhausts for our cars. Kteller is another good choice. If you're looking for something that performs well and is not too loud and stealthy looking, I would recommend a 2.25" piping w/ a resonator and the Vibrant flat black muffler. This will give you performance and fly under the radar..just my opinion
Many thanks to both of you
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
dailydriVen
Newcomer

dailydriVen is cool... so far.
you could always get a "glasspack" welded in behind the cat and before the muffler...it wont add very much restricion and will quiet down your exhaust note ...pretty cheap too
dailydriVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
SaiSofine
CB7tuner Member

SaiSofine is cool... so far.
Just get a 24" resonator installed on the catback you have now. It will cut the exhaust note in half. I gaurentee it. I have had 9 exhaust systems on my car so i've seen heard and it all. Lol.
SaiSofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
stretch JDM
Contributing Member

stretch JDM seems to have made some friends! stretch JDM seems to have made some friends!
take in account that the longer the muffler is on the car the louder it gets . my magna flow has been on my car for years now and damn its loud with 2.25 pipes from the collector back. i got to do something soon . maybe the apex WS2 is soon to come.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.
stretch JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Lakersfan24
Banned

Lakersfan24 is cool... so far.
I looked at all exhaust options for my car since I still have the stock exhaust and ended up buying the WS2 catback exhaust I would recommend that for your car the muffler is a little big in my opinion and I got it for $480 out the door so not to bad.
Lakersfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
Alright, so as far as glasspacks/resonators go, what's a good brand?

And does anybody have the Vibrant flat black muffler? Because instead of replacing the whole system, i'd very much rather get a different muffler and the dual resonator setup dailydriVen suggested....
Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
19dabeast85
CB7tuner Member

19dabeast85 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch JDM View Post
take in account that the longer the muffler is on the car the louder it gets . my magna flow has been on my car for years now and damn its loud with 2.25 pipes from the collector back. i got to do something soon . maybe the apex WS2 is soon to come.
This only happens with perforated straight-thru muffler/resonators. Baffled mufflers will keep the same sound level their whole life.

O.P. If you have a stock block setup you will be just fine with a muffler from a k20 civic si. There's no need for anything more free flowing with the low-rpm powerband of our f22.

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.
19dabeast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
dailydriVen
Newcomer

dailydriVen is cool... so far.
cherry bomb or thrush both make pretty good glasspacks/resonators....but honestly they are all pretty much the same and whatever your local exhaust shop has will be just as good
dailydriVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
wherm
CB7tuner Member

wherm seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wherm Send a message via Yahoo to wherm
I've posted this multiple times in threads started by people looking to quiet down their exhaust. Look into the Flowmaster Hushpower Shorty II.

I'm running the now discontinued DC Sports stainless cat-back exhaust. It is basically the same as the Apexi WS2 cat-back. What I did was I had the Hushpower shorty II installed in place of my old high-flow cat. It really quiets down the in-town driving that I do, yet still gives me the performance I need. I love the smooth tone it puts out at lower RPM's and it sounds awesome at higher RPM's and wide open throttle. One of the best exhaust mods a guy could other than a Bisi header IMO. No raspy fart-can noise, and no obnoxious low tone noise through town.
wherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherm View Post
I've posted this multiple times in threads started by people looking to quiet down their exhaust. Look into the Flowmaster Hushpower Shorty II.....
I'm sorry, I was just looking for some quick answers, which I got (yours too, thanks).

The thing is, I can't replace the cat on my car, I need to pass emissions still because I live in phx Unless I misunderstood (which I'm prone to doing, even after re-reading and researching)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #17
Gr1m
CB7tuner Member

Gr1m is cool... so far.
Possible Set-Up

Oh, right, I forgot. Here's what I think will be alright (after reviewing all of the suggestions)

2.25 piping (Kteller)
Vibrant flat black muffler
24" resonator (cherry bomb or thrush brand, I guess (size can vary))

So two things: Do I keep the high-flow cat I have, or revert to the stock one?
And my uncle said not to buy all of the pre-bent pipes, that a muffler shop will do it for way cheaper... is that true?

Thanks for the help, I can't get it anywhere else. My whole family is into old-school Impalas, I'm kindof the black sheep.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
lordoja
Contributing Member

lordoja is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriVen View Post
cherry bomb or thrush both make pretty good glasspacks/resonators....but honestly they are all pretty much the same and whatever your local exhaust shop has will be just as good
this is true, i have a glasspack on my CB with 2.25 piping theres a video on YT of my friend trying to keep up while recording on youtube lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch JDM View Post
not really louder, more deeper.

OP what you have sounds pretty good, you can get a cherry bomb glasspack on amazon for like $50 now days, they're all the same, as long as they are straight-through, perforated with fiberglass packing (hence the name)

and yes a shop will make cheap bends, just do yourself a favor, and make sure they are not crimp bends as they will hinder the flow, get mandrel type bends, if they charge you too much just get pre-made mandrel bent piping, as far as the cat goes... they're all the same just try to get a metal matrix one, i have a Magnaflow 3" high flow cat in mine just make sure that when its all mounted that the serial on the cat is facing downwards in case the 5-0 gets cute and checks
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?
lordoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #19
mozzandherb
I like turtles

mozzandherb is cool... so far.
Quote:

And does anybody have the Vibrant flat black muffler? Because instead of replacing the whole system, i'd very much rather get a different muffler and the dual resonator setup dailydriVen suggested....
I do have the Vibrant muffler, that's one reason why I suggested it. It's stealthy and it's a straight through design. You might want to add a resonator to baffle it a little, but you won't be disappointed with that muffler.

SOLD!!
Boosted H22
375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS
mozzandherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
SaiSofine
CB7tuner Member

SaiSofine is cool... so far.
Quote:

For a resonator i would recomment a Aero ar25. I have 2 on my car and its sounds pretty good.
SaiSofine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: