No announcement yet.

Uneducated In Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot guys. I'm probably over complicating this. I just want to do it right the first time. I'm going to get the pioneer amp, and some 4g wire for the install. Should I have any problems with a 65 amp alternator? I already have the big 3 done due to shit grounds. I'm expecting headlight dimming, which is fine, but if I need to get a capacitor I'd like to get it before hand.

Comment

https://jet.com/product/detail/110a7...FdgRgQodlyQLAQ

its not 1kw but it has been clamped in my car doing certified 805w at 1ohm and 535w at 2ohm at less than half gain with my little pc680 and stock alternator. No light dimming at all. I've been 100% satisfied with it. Its better at musical power than certified and its a clean amp so you can run more rms without issues.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Okay so new question. It's a DVC 4+4 ohm sub. How do I wire this to the amp at 4ohms? O.o. At 2ohms the amp put out 800RMS. Is that safe for a 500 RMS sub?

Edit: God damn it never mind I can't read lol. The amp I got is the 8601 not the 9601. Bridged will give me 500rms at 2ohms like stated before.
        Last edited by F22Chris; 06-05-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I would also like to set my gain correctly so if there's tips on that, it'd be awesome. I know I need to set it at 31.6v, but I don't have a 0db sound clip. Or an oscilloscope.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            I would also like to set my gain correctly so if there's tips on that, it'd be awesome. I know I need to set it at 31.6v, but I don't have a 0db sound clip. Or an oscilloscope.
            Use your ears. It's tough to hear subs clipping until it gets really bad though...

If you set your gains using a 0db sine, you will be leaving power on the table when you listen to real music. Try a -3db sine or -6 if you are brave. You only need a cheapie DMM too and a CD.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Okay cool. I'll google it and figure out how to do that, thanks!

Comment

Little help for car audio

Bcae1.com

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  Use your ears. It's tough to hear subs clipping until it gets really bad though...

If you set your gains using a 0db sine, you will be leaving power on the table when you listen to real music. Try a -3db sine or -6 if you are brave. You only need a cheapie DMM too and a CD.
                  I second that, use your ears. Play a song that you're really familiar with, then set it where it sounds good.
                  I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I'm kinda late, but it's always good to have an amp that puts out twice the power your speaker can handle (peak). Speakers love that, they're puncher, cleaner, and go louder
                    L It's like two different cars, one has a bigger engine than the other. They can both get to 60mph, but the one with more power will get there faster.
                    When a speaker has more power behind it, it will move faster, resulting in much more punch, and more sound.
                    Hope that helps to explain it.

*another note, most cheap amps claim to have much more power than they actually have, like a "1000 watt" amp that actually makes only 350 watts. People test amps sometimes to see if it's actually making as much power as it says.
                    Last edited by GTRON; 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Also, to get the best clarity setting so you know its clean, adjust the volume and equalizer settings , then open all the doors and walk 20 feet away to check for distortion. It is very hard to tell when you in the car if there is sound quality loss when the music is loud.

Never drive a piece of audio equipment past about 80% else the signal to noise ratio will start to get high. Much like GTRON said. If you buy an amp that can put out way more power than the speakers can handle. The clarity will be ALOT better when the speakers are driven hard. Since the amp will be far below its maximum range , the distortion will solely be comming from the speakers (presuming everything is set up well)

Comment

All good points. More power is better.
                        Distortion rises FAST after a certain level.

Also, to set gains you could set your amp to minimum level, turn your HU up till it distorts then back off a few notches.

Then go back to your amp and turn your gain up till you hear distortion from the amp then leave it there. You want some more room to crank the volume when you have a low level recording.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
                          Also, to get the best clarity setting so you know its clean, adjust the volume and equalizer settings , then open all the doors and walk 20 feet away to check for distortion. It is very hard to tell when you in the car if there is sound quality loss when the music is loud.

Never drive a piece of audio equipment past about 80% else the signal to noise ratio will start to get high. Much like GTRON said. If you buy an amp that can put out way more power than the speakers can handle. The clarity will be ALOT better when the speakers are driven hard. Since the amp will be far below its maximum range , the distortion will solely be comming from the speakers (presuming everything is set up well)
                          You never want to distort an amp (what happens you under-power your speakers), it turns the signal going into the speakers into square waves, which will blow a speaker quick. Like Mortsaccord said, when a speaker is powered properly there is a sweet spot where the speaker sounds good, when it's loud. If you push it past that sweet spot, the sound quality degrades quickly.
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            All good points. More power is better.
                            Distortion rises FAST after a certain level.

Also, to set gains you could set your amp to minimum level, turn your HU up till it distorts then back off a few notches.

Then go back to your amp and turn your gain up till you hear distortion from the amp then leave it there. You want some more room to crank the volume when you have a low level recording.
                            What Sonikaccord is talking about is Gain structure. Get your amp volumes set so your whole system is attenuated where you have enough volume depending on your source.
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

My amp gain knob only goes to 6.5v.

>_>

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                                https://jet.com/product/detail/110a7...FdgRgQodlyQLAQ

its not 1kw but it has been clamped in my car doing certified 805w at 1ohm and 535w at 2ohm at less than half gain with my little pc680 and stock alternator. No light dimming at all. I've been 100% satisfied with it. Its better at musical power than certified and its a clean amp so you can run more rms without issues.
                                I have been putting in Prime amps for all my budget customers and they seem work pretty well for the money.
                                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Working...
                                X