Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
    Thank you Zed! I'm hoping to maintain the sleeper look throughout the life of the car. Also I'm trying to incorporate a lot of the technology from the newer cars out there. Eventually get a backup camera integrated like Raf99 has, and some other features I've seen. I've got an Acura TL/CL auto rear view mirror retrofitted, but haven't gotten it reinstalled since, old Lola was stolen. I have a bunch of small stuff to get installed/work on for Lola, just I'm trying to wrap up old Lola so I can sell her.

All it really takes though is some patience and a lot of dedication. I know your trying to get yours running in top condition now.
    As all must budget. I effn just love the auto climate control and now am wondering in future can i do that. As i am getting an alarm system installed soon and thinking about auto start. SO it will be nice and warm when i get in car.I have a manual tranny though and most shops want a dollar dollar for it. I didn't even know they make an auto climate control for that car model(acura model am guessing). Does it change over easily?

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
      As all must budget. I effn just love the auto climate control and now am wondering in future can i do that. As i am getting an alarm system installed soon and thinking about auto start. SO it will be nice and warm when i get in car.I have a manual tranny though and most shops want a dollar dollar for it. I didn't even know they make an auto climate control for that car model(acura model am guessing). Does it change over easily?
      Zed, the digital climate control (DCC) is from a AUM or JDM Accord. My particular one came from the Australian market. I got every piece from a 4th Gen Accord, although you can do this with mostly Acura bits if you only buy the DCC unit. This is probably one of the most involved job's you can do on your car. As you have to overhaul half of the HVAC system and rewire a ton of it. It's more than worth the effort involved in my opinion. But your probably going to be working on it for a week or two. Basically you need something else to drive or drive without working HVAC for that time.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Alright so I've managed to get the parts to the machine shop. I still haven't dropped off the head yet, as I want to do some work on it but haven't had the time yet. I'm almost fully done getting Old Lola up and running again, as well and putting everything back together.

So I've managed to drop off the block, rods, pistons, girdle, balance shaft eliminator kit, crank, and a few other misc items.

The problem that I'm running into right now is between the rods and the pistons. The pistons are at Honda's specs exactly. The problem is with the wrist pins. The rods small end bushings were bored to accept aftermarket pistons (Wiseco, JE, etc...). My wrist pin measures out at 21.97mm while the rods are bored to 22mm. While it may seem small this is huge in the engine building world.

I've contacted KStuned.com, my options are somewhat limited right now. As I can either buy stock spec aftermarket pistons (a waste....), return the rods and use toothpick OEM rods, or possibly rebush the rods, or bore the wrist pin holes. The machine shop is contacting Diamond Racing Products today to see if we can get some new bushings and rebush the rods. I asked about buying rods that weren't bored yet, and that isn't an option either. If Diamond Racing Products doesn't have them I might see who KStuned got the bushings from.

In other news I got a few more sets of cam specs, so I need to get those to KBA to see if they are a better fit for this engine than the one from Bad Guys Racing.

Comment

Quick update on the status of things. I have to apologize in advance that I have been seriously slacking in the picture department lately. This is due to a few things in life. Currently my GF's parents are living with us while they are in a transition period in moving from MT to AZ. They will be with us for about a month and a half. While this doesn't seem like it should impact pictures, it is. My desktop PC is located in the guest bedroom, where they are staying. I usually use the PC later at night before heading to bed. Well they usually go to bed around 8pm. I'm not usually ready to sit down and read/upload stuff until about 9:30 to 11:00. Needless to say, that I've pretty much lost most of the access to my PC at home. I've been taking pictures, I just haven't had the time to actually sit down and get everything uploaded and linked. I'm hoping this weekend I can finally get some time to get some of this accomplished.

Updates are as follows, machine shop got a hold of Diamond Racing Products, and they were able to find a bushing that would work for these rods. One problem is that they could be 2-4 weeks from shipping the bushings to the machine shop. The guy said he would try to get it expedited because it was such a small order. This is some of the best news about the engine build. As of now I don't have to return the rods or order new pistons. Thank god! Either would have resulted in wasted cash somewhere. The bushings themselves were $14 each for a total of $56 and $11 each to press and hone the bushings for a total of $44. This is only a $100 setback and I can handle that, but wasting a ton of cash on pistons and then having to order new ones without much hope of reselling the Nippon Racing ones.

The second update is that yesterday I finally received the 3 core aluminum Civic radiator. I got the fan mounted to the shroud and the shroud mounted onto the radiator. Then I proceeded to mock it up in the bay after I drained and removed the original radiator. I may or may not have an issue with this as well. Due to having the Innovative traction bar which pushed up both of the lower radiator mounting points up a bit. This is causing the Civic radiator to sit a little higher than the core support. While not a huge deal, I'm a bit scared that the top bracket holding the radiator might have interference with the hood fully closing. I'm not going to be able to get a better idea of this until I get a second lower foot welded into the correct place for this Civic radiator. Once the foot is in place I need to build some risers with some tubing to accommodate for the slightly raised bracket mounting point.

It sounds like the machine shop should be boring the cylinders as soon I get them piston to wall clearance from Nippon Racing. Well girls and boys we are finally getting closer to having a decently built N/A F23A1!

Comment

Oh I also forgot to mention that on President's day when I went to Pull and Save in Spokane, WA to get all the remaining stuff that I needed to finish up old Lola, I found another transmission.

They had a '97 Prelude in the yard. I've given up even checking the VIN's on the Prelude's because if they have an H22 in the them, the engine/trans/interior is usually gone by the time I get there. Even if the Prelude has only been in the yard a day or two. So needless to say I didn't know if this particular Prelude was auto or manual. Well when I walked by it, it turned out to be a base model manual car. Someone took the cylinder head and left the block and transmission. Well the car was hit in the front and totaled by insurance. I shifted all the gears, everything felt great. Granted I haven't run this transmission so I can't say for sure, but you shall see some pictures of this as well. It's an M2Y4, so it's going to be a slight upgrade from my M2S4. The upgrade is a shorter 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with 4th and 5th remain exactly the same. I wish 1st gear was the same as the M2S4 or a bit longer, oh well can't have everything we want. I only paid $78 for the transmission with a core charge. Far better than the $300 I've paid for each of the M2S4's that I have. This transmission will go in the car when I put the F23A1 in her.

On an unrelated note, I took the car for a drive yesterday. It was glorious. Our temps around here for the last week have been in the upper 30's low 40's, so some of the highways are almost totally bone dry. Granted the asphalt isn't hot and sticky, at least Lola can be taken out and driven again, even if it is somewhat limited.

Comment

The 5th gen “queludes” pop up often in the paps down here in So Cal. I can’t seem to find a good center console yet. They all have some kind of damage from people ripping at them. I’m thinking of getting an M2Y4 also. It’s not too bad of an H22 tranny. That’s a really good price you got your tranny for Rilas. One down here would be like $180.
              5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Nice progress updates! Good to see it coming together.

Which camshaft did you decide to use with the VTEC head? The factory camshaft is pretty disappointing, but delivers a decent torque curve to about 4k.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                  The 5th gen “queludes” pop up often in the paps down here in So Cal. I can’t seem to find a good center console yet. They all have some kind of damage from people ripping at them. I’m thinking of getting an M2Y4 also. It’s not too bad of an H22 tranny. That’s a really good price you got your tranny for Rilas. One down here would be like $180.
                  No worries on the center console. I'm a patient guy. I'm sure you'll find one eventually or I will. Yeah the prices at the junkyard I frequent are awesome. I always complain when going to other junkyards about the ridiculous prices for stuff. I finally got the M2Y4 installed. At least I know for sure it's a good transmission. I drove it for the first time since swapping in the transmission this last weekend, to get the car aligned today.

Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
                  Nice progress updates! Good to see it coming together.

Which camshaft did you decide to use with the VTEC head? The factory camshaft is pretty disappointing, but delivers a decent torque curve to about 4k.
                  Still working on the specs for a cam. As I still need to come up with cash for the valves, and valve springs. Then I can worry about getting something with the cam done. I think I'm getting the short block back this coming week. I'm somewhat stoked about that. Until I realize that now I need to give Honda $400 in bearings/gaskets/o-rings. That's just for the short block. I'm slowly making progress. I seriously need to finish my side IT job. I just have one thing left to do, I'm just being lazy. Also I need to wrap up old Lola so I can sell her. Either of those would help. It doesn't help that I'm also working on prepping the car for SCCA auto cross season. Tech inspection and some testing is this coming Sunday.

Comment

Alright guys. While I still haven't had any time to sit at my computer and actually upload pictures. I'm still taking pictures of what I'm working on I promise. We still have house guests though and I've been working on overhauling the entire LAN in the house. I still have a little bit to wrap up with that then, maybe just maybe I can get pictures taken care of.

I've decided that I'm going to try and do a season of SCCA auto cross. So I've been working on getting all of the stuff done, that tech inspection might not like. Such as having only 3 of 4 brackets bolted down on the drivers seat. Taking care of my only oil leak, by installing a Fumoto oil drain valve. The aluminum OEM crush washers were always leaking oil, with this oil pan. I got 2 new front tires, soon to be followed by 2 new rear tires. I bought some Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 204/45 R17's. Also since I'm sure the auto cross guys are going to love the fact that I swap engines in the middle of the season, I figured I had better not be swapping transmissions in the middle of the season as well. I've spend my free time in the last 2 weeks just working on cleaning up the M2Y4 transmission. I finally got that finished up and installed it this past Saturday. I also finally managed to get the cruise control wired in. Thank god, my ankle get so tired after about 2 hours of holding the throttle pedal down. I still need to get the neutral safety switch wired in. I've begun running some wires, but I don't have wire harness plug for the clutch interlock switch, which leaves this at a bit of a standstill.

News on the F23A1. The block is fully bored for the K24Z3 pistons, fully balanced rotating assembly, micro polished crank, new rod bushings in the KStuned rods, balance shaft eliminator kit installed, oil pump is in good condition (all specs fall in the middle of Honda's specs), rear and front main seals pressed in. They might have done something else for me, I just can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway I need to get this paid for, so I can start to focus on the head instead of the block.

Comment

I'm interested to see how you place in Autocross. I've heard when you actually get put into the correct class it's hard to compete with other cars in your class. I'd also like to get your impressions on that oil drain valve. I don't care for the stock drain plugs

Comment

Rilas, let me know how you like those Cooper tires. I haven’t heard a bad review from most Cooper tire owners I know and I know allot because Cooper owns Mickey Thompson which I work for. I’m in a mostly Cooper building also. M/T only has like the back corner of a massive warehouse. I’ve been contemplating a set of Honda Pilot 17” wheels to roll on and I was looking at the same tires. My Tacoma has Cooper discoverer a/t and they are a very good tire for trucks also. Made in the USA too.

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                          I'm interested to see how you place in Autocross. I've heard when you actually get put into the correct class it's hard to compete with other cars in your class. I'd also like to get your impressions on that oil drain valve. I don't care for the stock drain plugs
                          Yeah I'm somewhat scared of what class they are going to put me in. Either way I don't really care though honestly. They are going to let me drive the hell out of my car on a course, I'm sold on that. Also I'm wondering if "down grading" to the F23A1 will help my car into a lower class. Since it's not the renowned H22. Either way, like you Mike I would at least like to prove that my car can be quicker than sports cars, even if they are in a different class. To really compete though, I feel like I need to get my ass in gear and get a Qualfie LSD. I'm sure it would make very spirited driving more fun as well.

I'm going to put the drain valve in either tonight or tomorrow night, as I need to drain the oil to swap it. I'm pretty excited about this mod, I just wish I could swap it without draining the oil. I think I have about 600 miles on it, so it doesn't really need it. I did put some Seafoam in the crankcase though just to help clean things up.

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                          Rilas, let me know how you like those Cooper tires. I haven’t heard a bad review from most Cooper tire owners I know and I know allot because Cooper owns Mickey Thompson which I work for. I’m in a mostly Cooper building also. M/T only has like the back corner of a massive warehouse. I’ve been contemplating a set of Honda Pilot 17” wheels to roll on and I was looking at the same tires. My Tacoma has Cooper discoverer a/t and they are a very good tire for trucks also. Made in the USA too.
                          I've had Cooper Zeon RS3-A 205/45R17 84Z SL on the car for 2 years and loved them. I'm hoping that these new ones are only an improvement upon those tires. Since you work in a tire factory / warehouse, how do you properly heat cycle these tires? I had them out on the highway yesterday, ran at about 90 MPH for about 20 miles, then back home and parked the car for the night. I'm not sure if I need to use them a bit more aggressively to get them "hot" enough to heat cycle them.

Comment

Rilas, unfortunately I don’t work in sales or the info dept. that would be more knowledgeable on that subject. I mainly count, build and organize M/T inventory. I’ll ask the race team when they get in soon for more drag & off road tires. Those guys should know.
                            It’s too bad M/T doesn’t have tire sizes I can use on my Honda. Maybe if I was drag racing it lol. They have some street comp. tires that are pretty bad ass but they start at 245-40-17’s nothing skinnier.

~Mark~

Comment

Alright guys, I've finally sorted pictures and uploaded them. Now I'm going to break this update into a few parts. I'm only going to do one section tonight, hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rest of it all done.

Tonight is focused on the progress made on old Lola.

Old Lola Engine 1

Old Lola Engine 2

Old Lola Engine 3

Old Lola Engine 4

Old Lola Engine 5

Old Lola Engine 6

Old Lola Engine 7

Old Lola Engine 8

Old Lola Engine 9

Old Lola Engine 10

Old Lola Engine 11

Old Lola Engine 12

Old Lola Engine 13

Old Lola Engine 14 (Stock H22A1 flywheel laying around)

Old Lola Engine 15 (Bay getting prepped for engine)

Old Lola Engine 16

Old Lola Engine 17

Old Lola Engine 18

Old Lola Engine 19

Old Lola Engine 20

Old Lola Engine 21

Old Lola Engine 22

Old Lola Engine 23

Old Lola Engine 24

Old Lola Engine 25 (I forgot to take a picture of the Innovative auto to manual transmission mount)

Old Lola Engine 26 (Still ridiculous ride height even with the engine installed. It sat on jack stands for over a year.)

Old Lola Interior 1

Old Lola Interior 2

Old Lola Interior 3

Other things have been done, such as washing the carpet, re-cleaning and conditioning all the leather, cleaning all the interior parts again, washed the seat belts. There are other things as well that I can't think of right now. The interior at this point is 95% complete. I also had to pull down the headliner and replace the sunroof glass. That was buckets of fun let me tell you.
                              Last edited by Rilas; 05-08-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                                I also had to pull down the headliner and replace the sunroof glass. That was buckets of fun let me tell you.
                                I guess a little late, but the sunroof glass can be replaced from above.

Looking good!

I'm curious - I've seen a few photos with engines out where the axles still appear to be in place. Is there enough play with the lower ball joint undone to be able to pop them out of the transmission? Any time I've pulled a trans or engine/trans, I completely removed them.
                                Last edited by Fleetw00d; 05-08-2018, 04:35 PM.
                                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X