Rust Repair in Progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust Repair in Progress...

So I made a thread some time ago on the beginner forums about my rust problem
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=209104
    Many of you told me I should cut out the metal and replace it.
    Well, I don't own a welder so that wasn't really an option for me, I decided to get it fixed professionally by the same guy who fixed my bumper, as it was badly broken when I purchased the car. The guy is REALLLLLLLLLLY slow, but he did a really good job, so I trust him. I showed him the rust, and he said he'll do it for $600. I came in 3 days after I dropped it off and found that he took off the black covers that run front-to-back, and there was ALOT of hidden rust that I didn't know was there. I think it's been 2 or 3 weeks since I dropped the car off and its getting there slowly but surely. He said it was much worse than he expected and he jacked the price up to $700, but he said he'll repaint the rear bumper and fix my broken sash trim too. What do you guys think? reasonable price? How would you guys go about repairing this yourselves if you were handed this car? On a scale of 1-10, how bad would you rate this rust?

YES, I KNOW, THE EMOJI STICKER. Lemme explain, I think emojis are dumb, I put it on as a total joke, to make fun of the ricers, because anytime anyone asks me about it, I just say "IT ADDS 50HP BRO" but they think I'm serious and it was a bad idea but my gf thinks its adorable so I still have it on there

3 days later...

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

After doing it myself, I would definitely still go for it at $700. This stuff takes forever. You do have a lot of little rust spots, very odd!
    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Your body guy must work SUPER cheap if he's doing all that repair for $700. I'd confirm he's actually using metal and not fiberglass / bondo in which it will come back almost immediate, especially if exposed to road salt again.

As far as rust repair goes, it's pretty rough. Your outer quarters are shot, your rockers need help, I'd venture to guess your inner wheel houses are shot.

There's a right way to repair it and a patch that will buy you some time to repair it. Repairing it the right way is mega money, so you have to ask yourself it it's worth it.

If you tried to DIY it, you'd have to be comfortable with the results knowing it likely won't look perfect and won't last all that long.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
        Your body guy must work SUPER cheap if he's doing all that repair for $700. I'd confirm he's actually using metal and not fiberglass / bondo in which it will come back almost immediate, especially if exposed to road salt again.

As far as rust repair goes, it's pretty rough. Your outer quarters are shot, your rockers need help, I'd venture to guess your inner wheel houses are shot.

There's a right way to repair it and a patch that will buy you some time to repair it. Repairing it the right way is mega money, so you have to ask yourself it it's worth it.

If you tried to DIY it, you'd have to be comfortable with the results knowing it likely won't look perfect and won't last all that long.
        I've gone in and checked up on the car and I can confirm he is actually using metal, and he's doing it cheap because he underestimated how much rust there really was when we agreed on a price, we agreed on $600 and he told me recently that I gotta give him at least $700 cause its a big job. He told me he should be charging around $2500 but he says im a good customer and he likes the car and he says my CB has been drawing alot of attention from his customers, they love it!

Comment

No offense, but if he didn't know the rust was going to be worse than what you can see then he is not a body shop guy or inexperienced.

And the pic where 3 days later he sanded down to the metal on the drivers side dog leg (wheel well), he is in for a very big surprise if he opens that up. While the outer has first size rust hole, the inner will be completely gone as well as your jack points.

But maybe i'm wrong, and he knows what to cut out etc. and is being a super nice guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            No offense, but if he didn't know the rust was going to be worse than what you can see then he is not a body shop guy or inexperienced.

And the pic where 3 days later he sanded down to the metal on the drivers side dog leg (wheel well), he is in for a very big surprise if he opens that up. While the outer has first size rust hole, the inner will be completely gone as well as your jack points.

But maybe i'm wrong, and he knows what to cut out etc. and is being a super nice guy!
            He told me before he even began, that these cars have a tendency to rust under the rocker covers and behind the bumper, he knew that they rust in those areas, he just didnt know how much rust was there. He told me last year that he used to do body repairs on cb7's about 14 or so years ago and they were his best selling car. He says he hasn't worked on a CB7 in a while which is why he estimated how much rust there was incorrectly. My uncle works in a shop 2 doors away and says the bodyshop guy knows what he's doing, and he does a very good job, he's just really slow, and tends to underestimate how long a job will take, which I can confirm, he told my my car would be done in a week, its been almost 3 weeks. He's a good guy though! fixed a massive crack on my CB7 bumper for $70 and it looks indistinguishable from a new one. I also saw the before and after result of extensive rust repair on a white 98 prelude which he did, and the results look promising! My dad has been going to the shops in that area for years and found that everyone around there does dirt cheap auto repairs and autobody repairs for a flat rate price, and it ends up being good business, the area that I live in has alot of people who just want the job done as cheap as possible, and the shops do a good job for the most part, I've helped my uncle out at his shop every weekend for a good few months, and they do take shortcuts sometimes, like removing and throwing away plastic covers, or heatshields which I DO NOT agree with, but the end result is a solid repair, and there's almost never a comeback. Also, It's agaisnt the law here for the customers to be in the area where the cars are being repaired, but in all the shops around here, they let the customers walk around and observe the repairs as they're happening to prove that the repairs are actually happening. I don't agree with this, but it does attract more business for them and builds reputations as honest mechanics. This is not to say they don't make mistakes or botched repairs, Once, they forgot to put the oil in a ford van after an oil change, and had to bite the cost of a replacement engine + towing, and another time, I saw one of the workers accidentally back a customer car into the boss's Mercedes benz as the boss watched in horror with a fake grin on his face
            Last edited by AmTeC; 07-13-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I went a bit off topic, but I wanted to try to paint you guys a picture of what shops around here are like

Comment

It's on topic

You must live in heaven. Cheap repairs for low cost. In Canada you'll find shops that won't even take the car. They only do insurance jobs (paint new part, put new part on = done). Hard to find a shop that does NOT take shortcuts. You could got to an expensive place, pay big $$ but these shops will not it. They only work expensive cars (Porsche, etc.). You can pay the cheap shop a lot of $$ but you don't get the quality of the expensive shop.

I had one shop work on Sally and destroyed it. Filler to the max, nothing lines up, etc. Had another shop work on Sally and did an amazing job! But that same shop did my Acura and caused more damage then you would believe (broken window, stained visor, broken plastic, ripped leather, missing parts, worn pieces). I think they put "junior" on the car because their other work is car show amazing! (They do enter cars into shows).

So it sucks having an older car and expecting new car results. Possible, but rare to get and rare to find someone who will do it.

Comment

It's on topic

You must live in heaven. Cheap repairs for low cost. In Canada you'll find shops that won't even take the car. They only do insurance jobs (paint new part, put new part on = done). Hard to find a shop that does NOT take shortcuts. You could got to an expensive place, pay big $$ but these shops will not it. They only work expensive cars (Porsche, etc.). You can pay the cheap shop a lot of $$ but you don't get the quality of the expensive shop.

I had one shop work on Sally and destroyed it. Filler to the max, nothing lines up, etc. Had another shop work on Sally and did an amazing job! But that same shop did my Acura and caused more damage then you would believe (broken window, stained visor, broken plastic, ripped leather, missing parts, worn pieces). I think they put "junior" on the car because their other work is car show amazing! (They do enter cars into shows).

So it sucks having an older car and expecting new car results. Possible, but rare to get and rare to find someone who will do it.
                  Yeah that's exactly what I was worried about when I first sent Daisy in, I came to visit often like a crazy ass over protective mom and had a few conversations with my body shop guy with each visit. I asked him to make sure hes not just gonna filler and bondo the crap out of it, and he told me he doesn't do that unless someone asks specifically. He said it's a nice car which he's familiar with, an all original CB7 coupe in while is rare around here according to him, He's got a point, I have never seen another CB coupe here other than mine, but lots of sedans, and I haven't seen a single white CB in person in years. He said because its sorta a rare car, he assumes I care alot about it (He assumed correctly) and therefore he's going to try to make it look as close to original as possible. He also appreciates the fact that I haven't been rushing him at all. The rear bumper was not properly lined up, and he fixed it. Last time I saw it, it looked absolutely perfect aside from the painting not being finished. The 3 shops there in particular specialize in Japanese cars, specifically Hondas. I've heard tons of horror stories about botched body repairs and I was quite worried when I first sent it in, but the worrying started to go away and I found that they were treating it like any modern car, complete with covering the seats and dash to keep it clean where they work around it, and not flooring the gas pedal while just trying to park it, There was a BMW beside it and it was being treated the same way.

And that's horrible, Did you get reimbursed for their bad repairs? or did you make them do it again properly? or did you just go to a different shop?

Comment

Originally posted by AmTeC View Post
                    Yeah that's exactly what I was worried about when I first sent Daisy in, I came to visit often like a crazy ass over protective mom and had a few conversations with my body shop guy with each visit. I asked him to make sure hes not just gonna filler and bondo the crap out of it, and he told me he doesn't do that unless someone asks specifically. He said it's a nice car which he's familiar with, an all original CB7 coupe in while is rare around here according to him, He's got a point, I have never seen another CB coupe here other than mine, but lots of sedans, and I haven't seen a single white CB in person in years. He said because its sorta a rare car, he assumes I care alot about it (He assumed correctly) and therefore he's going to try to make it look as close to original as possible. He also appreciates the fact that I haven't been rushing him at all. The rear bumper was not properly lined up, and he fixed it. Last time I saw it, it looked absolutely perfect aside from the painting not being finished. The 3 shops there in particular specialize in Japanese cars, specifically Hondas. I've heard tons of horror stories about botched body repairs and I was quite worried when I first sent it in, but the worrying started to go away and I found that they were treating it like any modern car, complete with covering the seats and dash to keep it clean where they work around it, and not flooring the gas pedal while just trying to park it, There was a BMW beside it and it was being treated the same way.

And that's horrible, Did you get reimbursed for their bad repairs? or did you make them do it again properly? or did you just go to a different shop?
                    Reimbursed, lol. Good one. No, these shops will hide their work. You don't find the problems until you start removing body panels or when the rust starts returning.

Comment

Reimbursed, lol. Good one. No, these shops will hide their work. You don't find the problems until you start removing body panels or when the rust starts returning.
                      I know they like to try to hide things, Which is why I go to check up on it unexpectedly as frequently as possible, I can confirm that they're using metal and not filler, I've basically seen every step of the process and behind every panel because of how slow its being worked on and how often I come to make sure work is actually being done, and being done right. I went to check on it today, and its almost finished, just needs to be painted, I was told it should be done Tuesday.

Comment

Sounds like you got a killer deal to me, can't wait to see the results.
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

It's always tricky, especially when using patches instead of complete replacement panels. Hopefully they're doing it right! The sad thing is, if there's a problem, you won't likely find out until a year or two in the future. When Maaco fixed my rust, it came back a year later. They just shrugged and said "that's what happens"... and charged me again to fix it... and it rusted the same way again.
                          If an issue arises in the near-ish future, I hope you have a better experience.

Comment

Most of the shops i used to sell materials to used a green chemical on every car that was taken down to the bare metal, it was called Rust Killer and was always accompanied by 2K sealer instead of regular primer. All of the shops that did the above were known for their outstanding work and higher prices but also for spot/panel replacement intead of using pounds of bondo.
                            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I wouldn't even bother having him fix the front fender, it would be cheaper just to have it replaced/painted. The quarter and rockers for sure need to be repaired right.
                              My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                              Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                              Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
                              X