No announcement yet.

INT : Removal/Replacement of blower motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My blower stopped working completely during a heavy downpour. The next day, after verifying the fuses and relays were not the problem, I started the car, turned the blower knob on MAX, and started gently hitting the blower box from underneath.

While I was wacking it, crud started coming out of the 2 vents of the black box. Then after about a dozen whacks.......the blower started working again. I'm now positive that there is debris inside the black box causing the issue.

Is there a way to vacuum out the blower without taking it apart? Can it be done from the outside of the car near the windshield vent is?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This DIY is an excellent resource. Very nice photos and detail.
    1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

Yea, I still have to smack mine to get it to work sometimes. That or have the passenger kick it. They usually cant get it to work that way though. I rust reach over smack it and on the first try bbbbrrrrrruuuummmmm hot air blows hahaha. I feel like the fonz. aaaaaayyyyyyeeeeeeee
      But yea, expect your fingers to feel funny after this, idk why. There is lots of dust and ish.

Comment

with out taking the whole thing out you can clean out the vent part a little if you unscrew the tabs that keep the air from venting out the seams where the blower motor and heater core meet you can pry it appart a little and stick a crevasse tool from your vacume cleaner and get any dust and other crap that falls down there through the years out.

JJ you probably need to replace your motor or is it just not blowing hot air?

edit: you may end up having to take it appart completely if you want to keep your blower motor in tip top shape.
        F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
        My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
        Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

Comment

At this age the brushes are no good in these motors..
          If your motor stops working your brushes have been depleted.
          I was backing out of my driveway one morning and I let the clutch out a little hard. All of a sudden black smoke came pouring in through my vents and my blower didnt work since.
          When I took the motor apart I found about a pound of debris and brush dust inside.
          I found that one of the brushes actually fell sideways and jammed between the stator and brush holder. Causing it to...not run (it was so worn down it just fell out)
          I looked and looked in the junkyard and EVERY CB had brushes very close to mine. ( I wasnt going to accept a short lived fan either)
          So I went to my local NAPA and found some Alternator brushes for $5
          They aren't a perfect fit, but damn! For $5 I have a fan motor!
          Also beats a new $200 fan aswell hehe

So I cleaned and oiled it back up and it runs just as fast as it did before, I think actually faster! (because now it has oil)

Also to the OP
          You dont have to loosen ANY of the dash bolts, you just need to wiggle things around with some strength.
          Your man for wiring solutions!
          CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
          CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Wow this is wayyy harder to replace than the CD5's or integras!
            MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post

Also to the OP
              You dont have to loosen ANY of the dash bolts, you just need to wiggle things around with some strength.
              thats also the quickest way to breaking more shit youll have to replace. Do it right the first time and unbolt a few extra bolts.

MY RIDE

vouches:
              Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Comment

I have to tackle this tomorrow. Thanks for throwing all this together, it will save me a lot of cursing and trying to find the tools I threw.
                Life's a garden. Dig it.

Comment

Up Up Up!

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

Awesome DIY. Just swapped in my new blower motor and this really helped out. Pics were great.

Comment

great

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

我愛我的本田

Comment

doing this tonight bump...

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Just did this last weekend, thanks for the DIY!! I took a few pics I'll post later, some issues I ran into that you didn't cover. Not sure if it changes year to year, mine's a '91 sedan. Either way, thanks again HUGE help!!

Contact me for custom vinyl stickers: StickyFingasCustoms@yahoo.com

Comment

Dang, I was about to do this write up but some one beat me to it!
                              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Working...
                              X