Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Wagon Boost Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Boost Thoughts

Well as most of you know I am boosting my wagon.
    I have about 4 different h23 long blocks lying around.
    All have rod knocks or bearing issues, thanks to a crappy h23 crank.
    Found out the crank can't handle the high hp due to it having smaller counterweights and not having the slits like the h22 crank.
    If it was balanced and all that should be fine, but OEM H23 crank is a no go!
    This might also be why oneoffaccord is the only one on the list with an h23, even tho he had bottom end issues as well.

The wagon currently has an f22a1 in it.
    I am thinking about just swappin on a good h23 head.
    Wondering your thoughts. I have researched and have run a h23 head on
    a f22a1 block before, so the technical aspect is not that complicated.
    Just wondering your folks thoughts, cause you have taught me everything I know now!

Thanks for your inputs ladies and gents.
    SOHC - Keep the f22a1 head!
    51.61%
    DOHC - Make it a frank and throw the H23 head in!
    48.39%
    MadLab Racing
    Southern Maryland

i think u should go with f22a1 block and h23 head for turbo beacause those builds are very interesting to me and i kno u could pull it off.it will also look sexy in the wagon too

Comment

why not just use the full f22a1 for boost?

i would be afraid of the difference in bore size creating a place for detonation. i read that the ridge created by the f22a 85mm cylinder bore and the h23a 87mm combustion chamber bore would cause problems. especially with turbo. thats one big sharp edge protruding 1mm into the combustion chamber all around. i would think thats just asking to be a source for detonation. you could bore the f22a block to 87mm but then you weaken the cylinder walls. you could sleeve it but then your getting into expensive territory.

Comment

my plan is to turbo with parts I have around the house, low boost.
        only reason I will see a machine shop is to resurface the head if I go the h23 route.

As far as the detonation, it is an interesting point but I have never heard anybody running with issues at that point.
        especially since the head has the bigger chamber. But I do see the concern.

My main concern is the f22 head honestly, it has been redone and I think I believe possibly some seals are going to go!
        MadLab Racing
        Southern Maryland

Comment

I tipped the scales in favor of the F22a1.

Steve. What happened to your other boosted CB? I haven't been keeping up with everything lately. I'd just keep it SOHC and rob bisimoto for all the SOHC toys. But really, don't rob bisi, that would be bad.
          Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

selling the rosewood, was my first boosted, and black car has been through too many h23's cause of h23 bottom end crapiness!

so it will be getting a fully built h22.
            MadLab Racing
            Southern Maryland

Comment

didnt you have pwrusr's old car?

Comment

yah but I sold it, didnt like dealing with the auto to manual conversion.

ncoutlaw has it now.
                MadLab Racing
                Southern Maryland

Comment

man that car is getting around! at least its still in the family. i remember that thing from years ago.

Comment

Run the h23head bro and just use the f22b1 headgasket. ive been on the g23 set up for 2 years now and recently motor been seeing around 14-15psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani Filth View Post
                      man that car is getting around! at least its still in the family. i remember that thing from years ago.
                      I did however keep the h22 engine.

Originally posted by gdout90accord View Post
                      Run the h23head bro and just use the f22b1 headgasket. ive been on the g23 set up for 2 years now and recently motor been seeing around 14-15psi.
                      what is the difference between the f23 (1998 Accord) and the f22b1?

I do like the fact I am not using the garbage h23 crank, unless done right, that crank is horrible.
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

Steve I've followed your projects and all I can say is I admire your technical and problem solving skills. If anybody could pull the frank together and make reliable power with boost, I believe it would be you. I say H23 head, you have the parts, you have the experience, so what do you have to lose. Do it up with the DOHC.
                        R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

yah on my last build joser and I put it together. the f22 block and h23 head.
                          but we had a bad bottom end we drove to PA to pick up.
                          we did not know it was bad until it got in the car.
                          it was kind of like a last desperate act to get the engine running while joser was there...

so probably just use that head, which is complete...
                          after talking to the ex-owner of the wag, he says its possible some of the head seals are bad, sooo I just want to be on the safe side.
                          MadLab Racing
                          Southern Maryland

Comment

Not sure how much my opinion is valued, lol. I like the DOHC though, I don't really see detonation as a problem. I do like the suggestion of the F22B headgasket. I heard someone mention boring the block to 87mm; probably the best safeguard against the detonation. Some darton flanged sleeves could probably do the trick.
                            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

CB7_sleeper - Thanks for the compliments, I have def been through a lot of work from the technical aspect and
                              refuse to give up on any boosted accord.

Joey - I am not building/sleeving anyhing on this car, the only reason to consider the h23 head is because I have
                              3 of them sitting in my garage, all in good shape. minimum money is going to be spent on the wagon, so I can build
                              the h22 for the black car. I just want a little more power onto the wagon. Everyones opinion is valued, honestly I
                              have my mind setup, just wanted to know what you folks would do.

Gdout - I noticed the f22b1 (94 Accord) and f23 (98 Accord) headgaskets are same part numbers on the autozone
                              site, so I believe they are similar. I have used the 98 Accord f23 one before so I might stick with that.
                              MadLab Racing
                              Southern Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X