Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Thinking about a Rustoleum Paint job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scolirk View Post
    ...Also, is your grill filled with bling diamonds :P ?
    Looks like a checker-board pattern to me..

Originally posted by Dizzy View Post
    ...i fucking hate red.
    Im with the OP on this one. Get rid of that awful red color. I would go for blue but that's just me...im a slut for blue CBs.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

I liked the dip option.

Whats wrong with the plastidip? That blue has a nice satin look to it. I dig it.
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I need to learn more about plastidip. It intrigues me, but I've never seen it in person. I wonder what maintenance is required to keep it looking like that. I could imagine it getting scored and scuffed pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I need to learn more about plastidip. It intrigues me, but I've never seen it in person. I wonder what maintenance is required to keep it looking like that. I could imagine it getting scored and scuffed pretty easily.
          Clicked the link and it looked like they offer a clear gloss of sorts, and it actually seems like a lot of people are having luck with this/per quick Google search.

I dunno, if it was shotty I doubt people would be painting their supra's and audi's with it.

I plastidip my tools, and that works out pretty good.

I just might try something. I have a few body panels laying around the shop, maybe Ill check that out.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

People on the dip fourms say it will last about a 1 1/2 2 years if its an outside car and much longer if its a rarly used and is a garage queen. Look up YouTube videos for how to repair tares and stuff. Now the first kit you buy is like $350 but after that every dip job will only cost $200. They have fourms read up boys...
            Last edited by Charlie240sxt; 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM.
            2004 Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed
            2002 Chevy 2500HD LQ4
            1995 SE 240sx 5 speed Ka-T re under construction
            1991 240sx current paper weight for sale
            Have a 240sx Q ask me
            Sorry I just think body kits are ***.
            Still lurking around......

Comment

That Audi, Lancer and Supra look awful. Cars like that should not have shit paint. Totally ruined IMO. I just don't get it.

If I had a nice $30k+ car like that,you think I'd be doing a $100 paint job on it? Hell no.

Plastidip is also some awful stuff. I've used it a couple times, and I swear I will never touch this stuff again. It sprays like shit and globs up. People say it's easy to peel it off. Hahahaha....no.

Comment

A friend of mine was seriously considering plastidip-ing his M3 rims. His thought was if they got scratched, it would just scratch the dip off, and protect the rim. Honestly at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. I like the look of that blue Audi, I think it looks really sharp. Would I do that to my Audi if I owned it? Probably not. Would I do it with my $2,000 CB? Probably not.

At the end of the day whether you decide you want to roller on paint, go to a cheap shop or spray paint the car, you have to do what YOU want. It's your ride, your project. Either way I'm curious to see what you decide to do.

Comment

That Phoenix red paint looks great. I think I have decided what color my CB is gonna be once the body work is done!

As far as paint with a roller. I have had great results with flat colors, glossy paint never comes out well with a roller in my opinion.

Comment

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/MfdlM5daa04

Not to hard to remove and nobody uses the spary cans anymore (at least not to do the whole car)
                    Last edited by Charlie240sxt; 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM.
                    2004 Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed
                    2002 Chevy 2500HD LQ4
                    1995 SE 240sx 5 speed Ka-T re under construction
                    1991 240sx current paper weight for sale
                    Have a 240sx Q ask me
                    Sorry I just think body kits are ***.
                    Still lurking around......

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchmyhandle View Post
                      That Phoenix red paint looks great. I think I have decided what color my CB is gonna be once the body work is done!

As far as paint with a roller. I have had great results with flat colors, glossy paint never comes out well with a roller in my opinion.
                      Glossy paint can be done, but it takes some effort. Wetsanding, buffing, etc...

Comment

OP has said he will probably get a macco job which isn't bad, i'd never let them do bodywork/prep seening how i can do my own. My celica was macco'd it's in bad shape (Was little brothers first car) now but i can tell they didn't even scuff up the paint before shooting it.

As for rustoleum if you are not going to put in the work (As i posted a link to a wonderful rustoleum job earlier) go with plasti dip.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Well, i was originally ready to take a week and just sand and paint her, but now i'm in the headlights of getting a job, so time will be cut down, That and it's fall here and the air is getting colder at night so it will just kill the rustoleum. I've heard the Plasti-Dip goes both ways. I've seen some amazing work like the Audi and the Supra, but i've seen some cars that after 3 years, the dip is just torn from every angle. My question would be, could i clear coat the Plasti-Dip to preserve the looks even longer?

Comment

I'm sure you could. They have plenty of different products.

If you know how to do proper prep work yourself, I would do that, and then have the car sprayed professionally at Maaco. The good thing about the approaching winter is that they often run sales. At least they do around me. I got the $500 "Presidential" job for $250 in winter. I ended up paying another $400 or so for proper prep work, though (which is why it came out nice.) If you can do the prep, the spraying can be had cheap... and if you're good at the prep work, you could end up with an even better result than I got.

Comment

The grill has a checkerboard print stickered on. The inside door panels also have a checkered cloth poorly installed. Until I'm getting paid, I just have to let all of that sit as is. But eventually I want to put in some mahogany wood panels in replace of those, and a matching steering wheel. All to match my Momo Shift knob. Wood grain inside would be clean as f*. But the interior will get done after the paint. The interior isn't black, it's a nasty maroon color, which i wouldn't mind, but it's worn and really needs replacing. So my plans are to Paint, then tear out the interior, maybe put some bridge seats in, or find some nice leather to put in. That or just find leather to put in front and back. Then the carpeting will need to be changed to black from the original maroon. My goals aren't to really mod the car out yet. It's just to get it feeling brand new on the outside and in. I was thinking about doing a H22 swap, but they did a swap and put a stock back in with 100k so for now that will do. When i am painting the car, i will definitely keep it posted.

ALSO, when i'm painting it, i may black out the tail-lights with Nite-Shades. Any better route?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                I'm sure you could. They have plenty of different products.

If you know how to do proper prep work yourself, I would do that, and then have the car sprayed professionally at Maaco. The good thing about the approaching winter is that they often run sales. At least they do around me. I got the $500 "Presidential" job for $250 in winter. I ended up paying another $400 or so for proper prep work, though (which is why it came out nice.) If you can do the prep, the spraying can be had cheap... and if you're good at the prep work, you could end up with an even better result than I got.
                                Did you pay maaco to do the prep work or someone else?

Comment

Working...
                                X