Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

frankenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frankenstein

just wondering what people have heard about the Frankenstein build. I haven't heard much but was told its pretty quick.

Think you are talking about a G23 motor.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
    PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Originally posted by swrkingpin View Post
      just wondering what people have heard about the Frankenstein build. I haven't heard much but was told its pretty quick.
      I saw it on TV, it moved slow as hell, and walked like a robot.

Oh, unless your talking about 2 separate Honda engine's that comprise of a F-series block with a H-series head mated to it?

Now would that be a F18, F20, F22, F23, And Dohc or Sohc block?
      Mated to a H22, H23 Vtec or Non Vtec head?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

evildemon, your on to what i'm talking about. well not the tv part. haha. my buddy told me they used the f22 block and use k20 pistons or something like that. not really sure the specifics. he said they called it a frankenstein cuz it was a bunch of different motors combined pretty much.

Comment

This is correct. It is an F-series Block with forged pistons I believe(K20 etc.), and an H series Head. I believe alot of ppl are wiery of doing this as it is not know as being a very reliable motor.

I know Lowdollar(member here) has a G23 Boosted and has been for quite some time. He may chime in and lend some knowledge on this subject.

Here are a few threads that can shed some light on what you are wanting to know....

G23/G22 Thread

Lodollars Member Ride Thread
          Last edited by JDM_CB7_TX; 12-24-2010, 04:17 AM.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
          PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

There is no singular "frankenstein build". That just means you're mixing engines (usually the head and the block.) And no, it is not a fucking "G series"... The G series exists, and it's a 5 cylinder engine found in the Inspire/Vigor/2.5TL.

If you've never assembled a motor, don't try it... unless you're willing to blow up a few times as you learn your way around. There's really no benefit to mixing H/F/K motors aside from a VERY small savings (IF you're able to get cheap parts and free labor.) You could build a performance motor properly out of a complete H, F, or K series and make a much more reliable engine. If you plan things out correctly, that properly built motor won't cost much more than an frank.

This has been covered extensively... and every time I want to bash my head against the wall because people ask a million questions without doing any research, or understanding how to build a motor. By the time we get 5 pages in, with all the info they could ever need, they realize it's too much work and say "I'll just buy an H22".
            Do your research, kid. You'll get much more help on here if you can start threads with more than "my buddy said this."

Comment

the only positive ive seen come out of these motors is the fact that there good under boost. h blocks are pretty fragile under boost because of the frm liners. thanks to the f22 block tho you get iron sleeves with dohc tune-ability and possibly vtec if your using an h22 head. again everyone haults at the reliability issue but if there wasnt a reliability issue then it wouldnt be a frankenstien.

(a friend of mine is running a frank motor. f22/3 block. cant remember which. k20 pistons. h22 head. balance shaft belt delete. and hasnt had any major problems so far. )

Comment

FRM is stronger, lighter, and better at dissipating heat than the stock F22A iron liners.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  FRM is stronger, lighter, and better at dissipating heat than the stock F22A iron liners.
                  yes i agree with you on this. for all motor purposes frm liners are amazing. but a healthy stock h22 + boost.... frm liners are the known weak points.

Comment

Stock iron sleeves aren't very strong either.

The reason why everyone assumes FRM is bad is because traditional forged pistons are not compatible with them. "I can't run any piston I want" evolved into "those liners are weak, and bad for boost".
                    The F20C and F22C have both been known to hold massive amounts of power with turbo on their FRM sleeves, even with stock internals.

Comment

i stand corrected.

Comment

There is no singular "frankenstein build". That just means you're mixing engines (usually the head and the block.) And no, it is not a fucking "G series"... The G series exists, and it's a 5 cylinder engine found in the Inspire/Vigor/2.5TL.

If you've never assembled a motor, don't try it... unless you're willing to blow up a few times as you learn your way around. There's really no benefit to mixing H/F/K motors aside from a VERY small savings (IF you're able to get cheap parts and free labor.) You could build a performance motor properly out of a complete H, F, or K series and make a much more reliable engine. If you plan things out correctly, that properly built motor won't cost much more than an frank.

This has been covered extensively... and every time I want to bash my head against the wall because people ask a million questions without doing any research, or understanding how to build a motor. By the time we get 5 pages in, with all the info they could ever need, they realize it's too much work and say "I'll just buy an H22".
                        Do your research, kid. You'll get much more help on here if you can start threads with more than "my buddy said this."
                        i wasn't planning on doing the build i just wanted to know whats been said about it. i would do research but all i had heard was frankenstein. i wanted to know a little more about it so i could research it. and i thought thats why these are the beginner forums but guess not.
                        Last edited by swrkingpin; 12-25-2010, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I wait for this when people post about frank engines ...

To the OP:
                          I highly suggest reading a little bit about what you are looking for or wanting to know about. It does help when you have a little bit of background to what it is your are looking for. Just a bit of advice. Hope it helps...
                          The CB7 Collector.
                          Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                          92 LX Coupe F22A1
                          2013 Toyota Corolla S
                          92 EX Sedan F22A1
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by swrkingpin View Post
                            i wasn't planning on doing the build i just wanted to know whats been said about it. i would do research but all i had heard was frankenstein. i wanted to know a little more about it so i could research it. and i thought thats why these are the beginner forums but guess not.
                            Beginner forum - Yes
                            Making it sound like you have some understanding of what your talking about - Yes
                            Legitimate and logical replies to your question - Yes

Assuming that you know nothing, and assuming that you are could actually be referring to something like a RB26DET Frankenstein build for a Honda CB7 - No

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Did you attempt to search this site for the only term you knew? Believe it or not, a search for "frankenstein" would pull up about 7 years worth of relevant threads.
                              So you have no intention of doing it, but you want us to take our time and tell you evey little detail anyway? That's one of the reasons we all get so irritated with questions like this. The guys that have learned for themselves how to do it take all their time to help someone that knows nothing, only to hear "oh, that sounds too hard. thanks anyway!"

Yes, this is the Beginner Forum. Yes, this is the place to ask beginner questions. However, that doesn't mean people want to spoon-feed you information when you're too lazy to look for it yourself. I'm quite certain that this reply has taken me longer to type than you spent searching.
                              Not to mention, the thread you posted at nearly the same time as this was pretty much asking "what engines can I swap in my car?" and it already got locked. It looks to me like you're just trying to whore your way to 30 posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X