Using foam trim when doing body work / painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using foam trim when doing body work / painting

I've seen body shops do this but never understood why. You can see it at 6:38 in this video.
    Link

maybe so it closes a gap in a panel and it wont let over spray in.
    COUPE K24

Comment

I just can't figure out why they wouldn't simply tape it off. I'm thinking it's so you can actually body fill on top of the foam? But then when you take it off it would make a mess...

I can't see how this doesn't make a big mess with body filler. Or if they are filling over it, or the advantage over tape.

Comment

According to 3M, it "eliminates rework due to unwanted overspray and hard paint lines. Ordinary flat masking tape can leave hard paint lines when used inside jambs, or must be rolled in order to create a soft edge. Because of its unique three-dimensional construction, 3M Soft Edge Foam Masking Tape produces a virtually undetectable edge faster than traditional jamb masking techniques. It seals door jambs and other openings to protect them from paint overspray. In addition, dust and other contaminants are contained, preventing them from ruining your paint job. The tape can also be left in place during paint finishing to help reduce compound and polish sling from entering jamb areas."

My guess is that particular shop was using it to keep dust from getting under the panel and save them time on clean-up.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ya... starting to make sense. When I had the Acura painted they used this foam in the gas cap / filling area. I noticed it a day later when I went to put gas in the car.

Comment

Working...
          X