CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
dockinrez
CB7tuner Member

dockinrez is cool... so far.
tips on buying a new car

Been looking into getting a fiat abarth but have no clue where to start since I want to avoid being raped. My jobs stable since I've been there 2yrs and I make about 20k a year. I pay 300 for rent, 100 for phones, and 100 for cb7 insurance. That's literally all my bills and my gf pays half of that lol. Want it maybe by my 22nd bday in march.

What's my plan of attack? I always bought used so this is all new to me
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
drew12000
Contributing Member

drew12000 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via MSN to drew12000 Send a message via Yahoo to drew12000
Why do you want more payments?
drew12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley

AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
I'd check to see if you can even get approved for a loan first with your debt/income ratio for the price of the car.

I'd sock away money first for a solid downpayment and then build up a reserve fund in case you need it, then consider buying a new car.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
toycar
CB7tuner Member

toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
bought my wife a fiat 500 and to be honest we have some issues.

Logo on the front bumper faded/came off, electronic power steering issues, axle issue, driver seat issue, rattle issue, fittment of the door(s) on the car issue, tire pressure sensor issue, a/c clutch issue, charging system(replaced battery, alternator, grounding straps, relays etc) and the clock isn't keeping accurate time.

The only positive thing I can say about all these problems, is that it hasn't cost us a penny. Its just a pain in the ass dealing with it all the time, and it gives the impression that maybe the car wasn't the best investment.

I don't think I would buy another fiat. I really like the car, wife LOVES the car. However, the abarth is becoming known as even less reliable than the regular 500.

Wifes car has 4400 miles, is 7+ months old.

Hope that helps. Car is awesome, I really like the design/layout etc.. But, we have had problems and are currently considering a trade in for a toyota rav4 or 6spd altima coupe.

If you have ever seen me post or have been around for a while, you probably know that I know a thing or two about cars. I am nit picky, and I am probably being a bit particular with the car.

Thing is, I bought my CD5 brand new in 1995, and I still drive it. I actually drove it today with 228k miles. I have owned it from day one, and already the fiat has outpaced first 5 years of owning the Honda in trips to the stealership. Honda had a few issues in the 6th year of ownership.

Even then, I got 5+ years of reliable, no bullshit about it driving. The fiat has given us something new about every 6 weeks or so.
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
If you want a sporty small car, I'd go Mini before Fiat. Every magazine comparison I've read has the Mini as the clear winner, and they've been around this country far longer... meaning parts are available easily, and mechanics have had some experience with them.
I'd even suggest a Fit. The power is lacking, but it's a seriously fun car to drive. It won't break the bank, and I can tell you from personal experience that it can take a hell of a beating and keep itself together.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
mugencivic4dr
CB7tuner Member

mugencivic4dr is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordWarrior View Post
I'd check to see if you can even get approved for a loan first with your debt/income ratio for the price of the car.

I'd sock away money first for a solid downpayment and then build up a reserve fund in case you need it, then consider buying a new car.
i agree, i personally love not having a car payment. OP also has to consider that his insurace will go higher (at least an extra $100) when car is purchased.

also, i would research on the vehicle you purchase before considering driving up to the dealership. my personal issue is reliability over anything first, then MPG's, then what ever features i can get/add with my price range.
ROLL ON
ROTA'S
mugencivic4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
New cars aren't as big a concern in terms of reliability, since most major things will be covered under warranty. As long as you properly care for the car, it shouldn't have any serious issues. MOST cars, anyway.

I do agree, though... as intriguing as a new car may seem, it's probably not the best idea. Even though your cost of living is low, $20,000 is a meager income. I couldn't live on that little, and my cost of living is VERY low. A car is not an investment.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew12000 View Post
Why do you want more payments?
Because Abarth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycar View Post
bought my wife a fiat 500 and to be honest we have some issues.
It's a Fiat, it's Italian...ish. You don't buy Italian cars for reliability, you buy them for the passion, while knowing it'll leave you on the side of the road.

Regarding the Mini, that would be my choice too, but as they're made by BMW aren't parts pretty expensive? A used one is cheaper, but without the warranty you're going to be paying for replacement parts yourself.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
accordztech
CB7tuner Member

accordztech is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to accordztech
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
New cars aren't as big a concern in terms of reliability, since most major things will be covered under warranty. As long as you properly care for the car, it shouldn't have any serious issues. MOST cars, anyway.

I do agree, though... as intriguing as a new car may seem, it's probably not the best idea. Even though your cost of living is low, $20,000 is a meager income. I couldn't live on that little, and my cost of living is VERY low. A car is not an investment.
Damn, he makes 20k and has rent. I make 33k a year and have no rent, not many payments...where the hell is my money going. ...OH YEAH I support my girl...damnit...

...get rid of girl...get a better car...HUMM lol

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good
accordztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I have a mortgage, 4 cars, and operating expenses for my own business. I can survive on 30k/yr.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
dockinrez
CB7tuner Member

That 20 I make is my hourly. I also run specials as a courier for the company and that makes me another 5k ish a year but that's untaxed money. Toycar talked me out of fiat. I did however see a 09 fit blue 37k on the clock and five speed at a local Honda dealer for 12. Going to drive it today and see if I walk out a fit owner like deev .

But on the subject of a new vehicle. My cousin has a 94 civic ex coupe shell that he'll sell me for 400. Its got me thinking turbo z6 or j swap
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
mugencivic4dr
CB7tuner Member

mugencivic4dr is cool... so far.
since you mentioned that your a courier, then your main conscern should be MPG's (if you use your own car). if you get paid by the mile, the less gas you use for every mile the more $$$ in your pocket. hybrids get you a tax cut at the end of the year, not much as prior years but still a hefty amount.

if you decide on going with that civic shell, i would advise on a good alarm/tracking system. you dont want to "invest" all that money and then it gets stolen.
ROLL ON
ROTA'S
mugencivic4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
toycar
CB7tuner Member

toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockinrez View Post
That 20 I make is my hourly. I also run specials as a courier for the company and that makes me another 5k ish a year but that's untaxed money. Toycar talked me out of fiat. I did however see a 09 fit blue 37k on the clock and five speed at a local Honda dealer for 12. Going to drive it today and see if I walk out a fit owner like deev .

But on the subject of a new vehicle. My cousin has a 94 civic ex coupe shell that he'll sell me for 400. Its got me thinking turbo z6 or j swap
Sorry if I rained on your parade
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Sounds like you saved his parade from the rain!

A $12,000 Fit is a much better choice than a $22,000 Fiat. The Fiat makes WAY more power, but the Fit is still really fun to drive. As long as your used one wasn't seriously abused (as in, more abused than mine... which is tough1) then you should be happy with the Fit.
Still probably best not to buy any car you have to finance, when there are better uses for your money at the moment... but if you feel the need, best not to spend a year's pay on the price of a car.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
dockinrez
CB7tuner Member

Not really a courier, just a back up driver that gets alot of work although I do turn down most offers. I didn't check out that fit today because I'm waiting on a call about the civic still. Heard it runs but on 3 cylinders. I actually bought my cb7 from him so I got dibs on this one even if its just to flip.

deev, the fit looks top heavy. How does it feel pushing into corners?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
h22sparkle
CB7tuner Member

h22sparkle may have said something they shouldn't have...
Lets see I have to say a couple of things. For one bring someone with you who knows about cars. the next thing would be to avoid payments. The last thing you need is to be high up in bills if you cant afford it. Even when you can its still a hassle eventhough it does bring your credit up a bunch.

The next thing would be to set aside some money before you buy it and try to assess how much its going to be to repair things thats the kicker amongst the rest. People can afford to get the car but whats it going to cost to keep it running that is the real question on top of insurance and theft-rate. These are the things you would have to consider.
h22sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockinrez View Post
Not really a courier, just a back up driver that gets alot of work although I do turn down most offers. I didn't check out that fit today because I'm waiting on a call about the civic still. Heard it runs but on 3 cylinders. I actually bought my cb7 from him so I got dibs on this one even if its just to flip.

deev, the fit looks top heavy. How does it feel pushing into corners?
It actually handles quite well. It does seem like it'd be top heavy, but I've tossed it into corners pretty hard and never felt that it was tipping over.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
xkjnboix
CB7tuner Member

xkjnboix seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to xkjnboix
buy used but dont buy anything in louisiana cause its usually shit =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[color="Magenta"]
xkjnboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
Shadow91
CB7tuner Member

Shadow91 is cool... so far.
So if you are looking at buying the Fit or any new(er) car then a couple things I might be able to say for you..

For one, on any NEW car, I strongly recommend Truecar.com
They show you what the actual market value is of the car and what you should purchase the car for vs MSRP. It takes away all the negotiations and tells you what dealers will accept that price. You walk in, get your car at the already preset price and your done.

And at any point, with MOST places you can ask for a copy of the invoice. The Fit brand new is literally only about $300 dollars above invoice for MSRP

And when you are looking for used, check it over with a fine toothed comb. It can take up to six month for any accidents or damage to report to carfax or any other site. There should be a VIN tag on most body panels, make sure they all match.

Some dealers are easier to work with then others as well. you can always try asking to see their cost sheet and see what work has been done to the car. You should be able to see a lot of what is going with the car by whatever service has done to it. And if you really want to go all out, pay the money and take the car to a reputable shop and have them do a full check on the car.

And just check the usual, make sure all the tires are in good shape, that the brakes seem to work as they should, drive it and make sure the alignment is straight and doesn't pull with the brakes pushed in. Honda batteries are absolute junk so ask them to do a battery test on it before you make a purchase. Slide the seats and make sure they move as they should as well as the 'magic' seat in the back. If its a Sport madel (rear wing, foglights, paddle shifters, alloy wheels) make sure the paddles work in all 5 gears..

And also, one of the strongest ways to get the best value is to walk away. Have the dealer running to you in the parking lot saying this is all we can do.. Never accept the first pencil and always be ready to argue the price. Dont be fooled, and be willing to sit there for the 'back and forth' crap.

And just throwing this one out there..

Have you ever thought about Leasing? Honda Leases are some of the easiest and most forgiving leases out there. It gives you options at the end and then you decide what to do. It works out nicely because there is no disposition fee at the end, they allow up the $1500 worth of damages (500 a panel, up to 3 panels) and you have options at the end. This way you know if you like the car you can keep it - either buy it out or finance whatever the residual is, if you hate the car you can trade it in or turn over the keys and your done, or if market value is higher then your residual then you can sell it yourself and pocket the difference between what you sold it and your residual. Plus, if you have any accidents or problems with the car its not your problem. You can literally wreck the car almost to the point of being totaled and still turn it in (fixed of course) for the same exact value. Honda even includes gap at no additional cost. Plus that, you are only taxed on your monthly payment compared to the entire value.

Hope i didnt ramble on too much... Happy car buying!!

Sold
1993 Honda Accord 10th Ann
Shadow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
8ball
CB7tuner Member

8ball seems to have made some friends! 8ball seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
If you want a sporty small car, I'd go Mini before Fiat. Every magazine comparison I've read has the Mini as the clear winner, and they've been around this country far longer... meaning parts are available easily, and mechanics have had some experience with them.
I'd even suggest a Fit. The power is lacking, but it's a seriously fun car to drive. It won't break the bank, and I can tell you from personal experience that it can take a hell of a beating and keep itself together.
I think the fiat comes with a maintenance free program planned.

The mini I think might be covered under BMW not sure. http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?categ...q/maintenance-

Last edited by 8ball; 01-02-2013 at 12:43 AM.
8ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: