Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Speed sensor issue help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed sensor issue help needed!

Hi to all!

My name is Gabriel im from Arg i own a 93 Accord CB7 with an F22A6 engine, i've run for multiple electrical issues on my car (i bought it with them ) and i've fixed many issues reading forums and searching some youtube videos. Btw i've a remaining issue that its giving me headaches.

The famous speedsensor, before anybody asks, i've searched in the forum but i havent found this kind of issue that im facing now.

To start, i've to mention that i bought a very new speedsensor, i changed it, checked the fuses, and this weekend i've tear down my cluster and instrument panel to look in more details whats going on.

In resume, i used a multimeter and checked the vss wiring, mine got 3 wires, black (negative), yellow (+ with 12v) and orange (pulse 5v), the issue is that i dont have 5v going to the cluster, i found the orange wire that comes from the vss and goes inside the car to the green connection that goes in the left side of the cluster, but that orange wire doesnt give the 5v pulse. So i made a lot of things, including making a direct cable from the orange cable of the eengine to the orange that goes to the cluster, but nothing happens (i made this with engine on and moving my car to check out).

So, i've some doubts, this 5V orange cable that comes from the VSS in the tranmission does input or output these 5v??? (or the 5v are output from the cluster??) i though that this vss module output the 5v to the orange wire that goes to the cluster since it inputs a negative and a 12v yellow wire, or im wrong?? also, another very extrange thing is that my multimeter does give continuity on the black wire and the orange wire that connects the second connector on top engine:

does anybody faced the same issue or could help me to fix it??

thanks for reading!!

hello there, the vss takes that 12v and OUTPUTS a 5v pulse for every rotation. you can test it on the bench by supplying the 12v and ground and attaching a voltmeter to the orange wire spin it and look for 5v (or thereabout) pulses. there is a drive key that you need to verify is engaging the vss from the transmissions spur gear, its just a little .5mm square piece of metal about 3mm long. If you do find that the pulses are present, then my next suggestion is to check and clean the bundle of ground wires attached just below the thermostat housing they play a critical grounding point for most of the stuff under the dash and can cause all sorts of weird issues when there isnt good continuity to ground.

Also on my first CB i had VSS/speedo issues, spent some time messing with it, found i didnt have continuity to ground at the connector and chased the GND wire all the way to the driver side shock tower connector where in the bundle i found the wire had fried somehow, a quick splice and the issue was resolved never to return even after 7 years.

Also have a read:
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html
    Last edited by illinois_erik; 09-23-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      hello there, the vss takes that 12v and OUTPUTS a 5v pulse for every rotation. you can test it on the bench by supplying the 12v and ground and attaching a voltmeter to the orange wire spin it and look for 5v (or thereabout) pulses. there is a drive key that you need to verify is engaging the vss from the transmissions spur gear, its just a little .5mm square piece of metal about 3mm long. If you do find that the pulses are present, then my next suggestion is to check and clean the bundle of ground wires attached just below the thermostat housing they play a critical grounding point for most of the stuff under the dash and can cause all sorts of weird issues when there isnt good continuity to ground.

Also on my first CB i had VSS/speedo issues, spent some time messing with it, found i didnt have continuity to ground at the connector and chased the GND wire all the way to the driver side shock tower connector where in the bundle i found the wire had fried somehow, a quick splice and the issue was resolved never to return even after 7 years.

Also have a read:
      http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html
      thanks for the answer and for such detailed info

regarding the ground terminals, i tried but i didnt found the ground points of the picture, close to the lower hose, they are below the air filter?? These ground points seems to be very interesting, that was a nice finding, do you've the full electrical repairing book??

btw i've verified the VSS outside the car, I've input a negative and a 12v line from the battery, checked with the multimeter and it doesn't output any voltage from the connector of the orange wire. Going into the engine part of the cart, i've checked the drive link (the part that is left at the bottom of the vss) spins when i put a gear inside the car.

I'll buy another vss, this was new but seems to be defective. Another very extrange thing that i've to mention after measuring the wires with the multimeter is that ALL the wires of the vss conector does have continuity to ground, is this correct?????? but they are not broken since i've continuity to each terminal of the 3 vss wires from engine connector to cluster.

thanks !
      Last edited by Gabe; 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X