Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket

ok so been fighting the cooling system since i got this car

-new water pump t belt
    -new t stat
    -new hoses new coolant fluid
    -tryed to bleed at least 3 times dont seem to get any air out bleeder just steady stream of coolant

ok so here is the issue small bubbles in overflow show up after 45 min of hard driveing
    no bubbles in overflow when car started and idle in driveway
    no smoke from exhaust when warmed up very small amount of white smoke when started tell gets warm
    -no coolant in oil changed 2 times in month to check
    when driving temp reading is from 1/4 to 1/2 under normal driving when stop and go it seems to start to creep up to the most i have let is 3/4 but when on highway once up to 50 60 it drops down to bottom of gauge as if it was not warmed up slow down to 40 and comes back to 1/4 and will stay there as long as you stay at that speed any ideas and how hard is it to change head gasket

- edit also after car has been driven and sits 15 min later still lots of pressure when take rad cap off ??
    Last edited by fanilyfun; 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM.

ok so here is the issue small bubbles in overflow show up after 45 min of hard driveing
    Use a block tester on reservoir if you can, when this is happening.
    A&P-IA

Comment

When you say bubbles in your overflow do you mean like some random ass bubbles when you take off the overflow cap and look or some serious pressure relief? As far as pressure at the radiator cap after driving...that's normal.

Did you take a look at your water temp sensor? Any missing at all while driving?

I overheated my hatch awhile back and was blowing some serious bubbles into the overflow. I pulled the plugs out and cranked the engine over and blew antifreeze all over the bottom of the hood. Needless to say it was indeed a headgasket failure.

Comment

It sounds like a bad head gasket even though you're not seeing the bubbles on startup. The engine heats up as it's driven and the clearances between the head and block increase. It sounds like that's when your leak is occurring.

It's a simple head removal and reinstallation. Buy yourself a manual and get to work.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Let me share a quick and easy testing tip that has always worked for me in the past when I didnt have access to a block tester. Get the car up to running temperature and shut it off. While its still hot pull out each spark plug individually and hold a small mirror like a compact mirror or a mechanics mirror over the spark plug tube immediately after removing the spark plug. If it steams up, theres water in there thus creating condensation on the mirror. Of course oil in the spark plugs tubes can kinda ruin this.

Comment

I don't see a new rad cap on your list.
            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
            X