No announcement yet.

Question about Wagon Trunk Compartment mod for abs coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a while since I did it; I should have taken more pictures. The way it is written, it may have been just on the sides. I don't think the coupe trunk area is any different than the sedan. There is a big difference in the panels between LX and EX because the EX is bumped out to fit over the ABS module. The module can be moved as Jarrett indicated; you could then find an LX panel. I didn't have to cut the side panels other than at the lower corner of the very forward end.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      It has been a while since I did it; I should have taken more pictures. The way it is written, it may have been just on the sides. I don't think the coupe trunk area is any different than the sedan. There is a big difference in the panels between LX and EX because the EX is bumped out to fit over the ABS module. The module can be moved as Jarrett indicated; you could then find an LX panel. I didn't have to cut the side panels other than at the lower corner of the very forward end.
      Something good to look for at jy next time. It has to be the ears.I am ok with it being cut some. I also got that thick big rubber mat. Am going to love having a full size spare in trunk with a place to put my tools and other stuff. Nice and clean and no more rattling;

Comment

After trimming the edges and other things trying to get that top part to go back i realized it will not go back any farther. It still rubs the braces. THe only thing to do is put some washers on the bolts. The trunk lid will not go back any farther without cutting the trim piece that attaches to trunk lock. I have no ideal how yall got this to fit so easily. I have pinched, squeezed, cut and anything else i can do to get another inch. The lid has no more room and the top part can't be pushed back no farther and it still rubs.

Comment

Can the dx or lx passengers side panel work for this. Or is it just lx. I take it the drivers side panel is exactly the same with lx or ex. The drives side panel on mine has never really fit in there right. Not sure why as it rubs when trunk is closed. Also do you happen to know if it is all years 90-93 tha twill work. I can research this info if you don't happen to know off the top of your head. THanks

Comment

all done and it looks beautiful. Less room but got a full size tire and nice clean storage. One question i got if anyone is still reading this post. The screw that holds in the tire. Not long enough. Need another centimeter on it. I can't seem to get it to screw out. My spare is a steel rim so i think it sits deeper than a alloy rim. Any easy solutions so my tire doesn't jolt around if i ever have to go off road.

Comment

I don't think alloy or steel should make a difference (steel wagon wheel or LX DX 14 inch?). You're putting the spare in face down, correct? And you have the conical retainer? Maybe the screw went deeper into the handle? Measure how long it is, I think I have at least one extra; I can compare to the length of that one.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I don't think alloy or steel should make a difference (steel wagon wheel or LX DX 14 inch?). You're putting the spare in face down, correct? And you have the conical retainer? Maybe the screw went deeper into the handle? Measure how long it is, I think I have at least one extra; I can compare to the length of that one.
                its 15 inch steel. and yes face down. I need like 1 centimeter to tighten that slide thing down. I might have ti thread it to put a nut on it. I got a spare from the wagon at jy. I tried and tried to pull it out. I got it to turn and was going back and forth but wont go anymore counter clockwise.Tire still sits in there good but would like some security in case i ever want to imitate bo and luke duke.
                I just got to say again that this is the best mod ever for my car. All my car i've kept stock but this is just beautiful and i would have no worries to drive to alaska and back.
                Last edited by zedjr10; 04-28-2019, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I guess I still don't quite understand the issue. Are you saying the screw is stuck in the nut/bracket at the bottom of the spare tire well and the black handle unthreaded from that? Or the whole thing (screw and black handle) won't come out so you can't even get the retainer cone in place? Picture(s) please.

Comment

I guess I still don't quite understand the issue. Are you saying the screw is stuck in the nut/bracket at the bottom of the spare tire well and the black handle unthreaded from that? Or the whole thing (screw and black handle) won't come out so you can't even get the retainer cone in place? Picture(s) please.
                    sorry for lack of using good words to explain. Yes exactly what you said. Screw(stud) is stuck and retainer doesn't go down far enough over screw to push that black thingy down on it so tire will sit secure. I will get it out eventually or find another solution. 4 days messing with this mod including going to junkyard and it was all worth it. I really should of took some before and after pics.

Comment

PB Blaster on the stud in the bracket to help getting the stud out.

If you manage to get it out chase the threads in the bracket with a tap and get a new screw if the threads are damaged.

If it strips, you can tap a larger thread in the bracket and the handle and get an appropriate size threaded rod.

Comment

PB Blaster on the stud in the bracket to help getting the stud out.

If you manage to get it out chase the threads in the bracket with a tap and get a new screw if the threads are damaged.

If it strips, you can tap a larger thread in the bracket and the handle and get an appropriate size threaded rod.
                        yeah tried that, going to soak it every few days then work it out. Going over a speed bump yesterday i felt that tire bang the lid. Annoying.

Comment

Is it rusty like you've had water in the trunk?

Comment

Is it rusty like you've had water in the trunk?
                            Yeah i got a leak in my trim seals. That is on the top of my list to fix. I got to go practice on some cars at jy first.

Comment

Make sure the drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well is clear as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X