EXT: Rim Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahahah what kinda car u got again...
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Re: Rim Polishing

Hope you guys enjoy...for the person who helped me...thanks...when i find out your name ill post it here.
      it was me

Comment

Cool, looks great! I'm glad that works, because I hesitated on trying it since the label didn't mention clearcoated rims. At least I didn't see it

Has anyone tried a product called "Wheel Wax". That would maybe make a good final step??

Great job again! My rims need that treatment too!

Comment

never heard of that, but any wax should work...hehe
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
            never heard of that, but any wax should work...hehe
            Now you have Here's the link: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...x/wheelwax.jsp

Comment

hey thats cool, finally a wax made for rims. other waxes arent really made for rims so there is no tellin how long they last...

tell me, is it a carnuba base or a polymer sealant?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

This is what the first line reads: "Wheel Wax is different from wheel polishes because it is not a polish, it is a wax formulated with space age polymers and resins, a heat resistant sealant and carnauba wax, which provides the ultimate protection for wheels."

Never used the stuff though.. Who's first??

Comment

well carnuba waxes are made for shine, but not longevity...yet polymer waxes are made for longevity and a decent shine.

that product combines it all and really is interesting, as well as heat resistant..i think its a good product looking at it from my view.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

pix

could the thread starter reload the pix,
                    i'll host if u cant find anyone else

Comment

just be careful not to burn off the clearcoat. later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Ya, that's confusing me. If these are clear coated like my lude wheels, then how is it that you can use a mag and aluminum wheel cleaner designed for use on an uncleared surface? Shouldn't they be using a rubbing compound, and then a good wax for the final finish? Otherwise, the wheels would need to be stripped then re-clear coated after polishing. Correct me if I'm wrong.....
                        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

i think the pics are working now.

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
                          Ya, that's confusing me. If these are clear coated like my lude wheels, then how is it that you can use a mag and aluminum wheel cleaner designed for use on an uncleared surface? Shouldn't they be using a rubbing compound, and then a good wax for the final finish? Otherwise, the wheels would need to be stripped then re-clear coated after polishing. Correct me if I'm wrong.....
                          hehe maybe a misconseption...a clear coat can have slight oxidation at the very very top layer.

you can use rubbing compound as well. in a certain view, this wheel cleaner is a slight rubbing compound as well.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                            well someone on this site helped me think of this method...later ill announce who it is.

i have had a really bad time with my rims for the last 5 years. a long time ago i let the water sit on my rim and it killed it...made it look ugly. usually i wax the rim but that doesnt last long.

After hearing about this i had to try it.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Materials:
                            Mothers: Mag & Aluminum cleaner (found at any auto store $3.99)
                            Buffer...high speed (optional)*usually most would do good without a high speed or a buffer...yet i just couldnt get it to look nice, so i whipped out my sander--->converted into a buffer/polisher hahaha
                            Rags: 2 to 4 of them...perferably terry or microfiber. (i used cotton).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Procedure:

1. first clean the rim...i was lazy so i just wiped the outside of the rim and decided later ill clean the rest.

2. get the application rag and apply a small but decent amount on it and then rub into the rim a section at a time. try to rub in the trouble spots more....

3. either buff off or use the high speed buffer to take it off
                            4. inspect the rim and try again if there is any trouble spots....
                            starting product

after first clean

..still spots see

after 2nd clean

....much nicer...it can be better

after 3rd clean

pretty easy isnt it? not in my case, i had to do at least 6 applications and buffings for my rim. but really it was worth it in the end. but this process took me umm...3 hours...thats cause i was playing with the dremel and how to apply it.

2 rims took me an hour....since i did it soo many times and took breaks every damn time hahahah!

Finished product!!

This is a very easy DIY. Most people dont concider the fact that their rims look wack....i do....and you guys thought i had a clean car!! hahahah.

Later ill clean it up and apply this stuff on the spots where the brake dusts sits....

BTW: this product gets out stains like nothing...i had some brake dust stains from years ago...this product worked like a charm...

Hope you guys enjoy...for the person who helped me...thanks...when i find out your name ill post it here.

can you do this wit out a buffer ?

Comment

im gonna be doing this on deevergotes EX wheels when i fully detail his car, im gonna hopefully do before and after pics his shit is maaaaaaad dirty lol hopefully he'll see this and be embarased and let me do it sooner

-sean
                              Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                              Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

i'm out in my garage doin it now

Comment

Working...
                                X