Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legend Brake Swaps... things you ought to know.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brembo's website has an excellent FAQ :

http://www.brembo.it/hp_faq.htm

I have had the Legend 2-pots on my accord for about 9 months. They are installed with the L on R and R on L so the bleeder screw is at the top. The pads show no sign of uneven wear, but I do plan on reinstalling the calipers so the R is on R and L on L simply because they were designed to contact the rotor in that order. I can say from first-hand experience that the way the brakes are installed now on my accord results in a lot more stopping power!

I feel that anyone who is taking the time to upgrade their brake system is knowledgeable enough to know how to remove the caliper and bleed it upside down. Generally, these are the type of enthusiasts (like myself) who perform their own repairs and maintainence. You have made a good point that this caliper upgrade may make your car harder to trade in; however I, for one, have kept my stock parts and will be returning the Accord to stock should I want to trade it in. That means not only returning the brakes to stock, (not the rear disc conversion however), as well as the suspension, engine swap, etc. In short, people that are going to perform this brake upgrade generally are not interested in what they plan on doing down the road when they trade their car in. Like my best friend says: "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

USC's article states that the NSX calipers have different sized pistions. This is incorrect. The NSX calipers have the same sized pistons. They also are trailing edge calipers, but this means nothing to the person who is going to put R on L and L on R to have the bleeder screw at the top because there will be no loss in performance with equally sized pistons.

Here is my brake set-up on my 91 Accord EX: the aforementioned Legend 2-pots, AV6 rotors, and rear converted to disc. I have the stock prop valve and master cylinder. Does it work? Yes. Does it outperform the stock set-up? Yes. Could it be better? Yes.
    But dollar for dollar, this is a great brake set-up that clears OEM 15" wheels.

Time for another beer.

Comment

Originally posted by bda91acc
      USC's article states that the NSX calipers have different sized pistions. This is incorrect. The NSX calipers have the same sized pistons. They also are trailing edge calipers, but this means nothing to the person who is going to put R on L and L on R to have the bleeder screw at the top because there will be no loss in performance with equally sized pistons.

Here is my brake set-up on my 91 Accord EX: the aforementioned Legend 2-pots, AV6 rotors, and rear converted to disc. I have the stock prop valve and master cylinder. Does it work? Yes. Does it outperform the stock set-up? Yes. Could it be better? Yes.
      But dollar for dollar, this is a great brake set-up that clears OEM 15" wheels.

Time for another beer.
      hm... refer to attached image.

last i checked.. that is called a "leading edge" caliper. as far as piston sizes, i never saw one so i can't confirm or deny the pistons. you sure you're not gulping too many cans of those beer?
      Attached Files
      Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

Boy do I feel like an idiot this morning. First let me say that I was still on my first beer when I typed that last night.

The NSX calipers ARE leading edge, and they DO have different sized pistons.

this is a good thread: click me

U DA man USC, but I'll stick with my legend swap.

Now its coffee time.

Comment

So what the?

So which brake setup should I go with? I'd like to correct piston on the caliper to be in the right place, and I'd like the bleeder valve to be in the right position. Are there any other 2 piston calipers that will fit on the fifth gen Accord without dropping bank? Or will I have to deal with removing the caliper, flipping it upside down and throwing a 2x4 inside to bleed the air out of the system? What about the CL calipers? Are they 2 piston? Will they fit? Or how about the NSX calipers? Aren't they the same calipers that are on the Legend? If so, would it even matter between using either one? There's a lot of good information you guys are throwing out....but a little clarification is necessary! Thanx!
          Only one purpouse.....to go FASTER!

0-60MPH: 15.2 sec
          1/4 Mile: 9.54 min
          60-0MPH: Too damn long!

MUD ~ out

Comment

Re: So what the?

Originally posted by Warwick_5S
            So which brake setup should I go with? I'd like to correct piston on the caliper to be in the right place, and I'd like the bleeder valve to be in the right position. Are there any other 2 piston calipers that will fit on the fifth gen Accord without dropping bank? Or will I have to deal with removing the caliper, flipping it upside down and throwing a 2x4 inside to bleed the air out of the system? What about the CL calipers? Are they 2 piston? Will they fit? Or how about the NSX calipers? Aren't they the same calipers that are on the Legend? If so, would it even matter between using either one? There's a lot of good information you guys are throwing out....but a little clarification is necessary! Thanx!
            did you read the info in the initial post at all?!?!?!!?!?

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Brakes.

If you're talking about the post with the Acura Legend Brake article, then yes! There have been quite a few posts on different setups, discussing pro's and con's. I was simply asking if there were calipers that would bolt up leaving the caliper in the proper position (article) and avoiding the necesity to remove the caliper, flip it upside down and using a 2x4 to bleed the line. Since then I was able to locate a Wilwood 4 pot setup for the front and a 2 pot setup for the rear with larger rotors at a great price.

MUD ~ out

Comment

Figures.

Well....once again (in my case) it was a "TGTBT" scenario! The vendor was misleading me! What's new right? Looks like I'm going to go for one of the swaps discussed.

MUD ~ out

Comment

NSX setup

Will the NSX calipers bolt up to my car (1997 Accord SE) R on R, L on L with the bleeder on top, and the pistons in the correct order? Also....what's the largest rotor I can run with the NSX calipers and which bracket will I need?

MUD ~ out

Comment

i would like to know too!?

help
                    also what are the bigger rotor options? lude vs. V6? are they the same size? anything else diff between the 2?

JDMED

buy my jdm part
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

Well I just read the through this and my question is ,do you think the prelude calipers would be a viable upgrade? They should mount up correctly dont you think.(to "usc") I feel this upgrade would benifit me since I no longer have the stock motor. As for front brake bias, that is controled soley by the proportioning valve,not the size of the calipers.
                      Last edited by cb7-R; 04-23-2004, 01:42 PM.
                      FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

well, the prelude caliper on the stock Accord rotor wouldn't give you any added benefit whatsoever. the prelude pad area may be bigger (i'm speculating here) but if you can lock the brakes up w/ stock calipers already, there's no need for prelude calipers.

Comment

NSX setup!

I am going to go with the NSX setup.

NSX calipers
                          AV6 rotors
                          25T brackets (I think)
                          Axxis pads

I'm also going to do the rear EX disc conversion. Hopefully at the same time. With CD or CS rotors all around.

I plan on using the AV6 prop valve, if it offers better braking then the one I have now, which is lousy! I'm still doing research on the setup.

Anyone with info or notes to add, please do!

MUD ~ out

MUD ~ out

Comment

what makes you think your proportioning valve suck right now? if you're able to lock up your brakes, then it's working just fine.

the best way to improve your braking is better tires. if you've got low-profile z-rated tires, that insures the highest friction/stickiest treads on dry roads. and if you can lock the wheels up, then the brakes are already doing its job.

if you track or drive very aggressively which requires high-speed braking frequently, then you want bigger rotors to help resist and dissipate heat.

there are really no "prop valve" that is interchangeable. only if you plan to swap out the brake master cylinder, and/or the calipers themselves. unless you go ahead and buy an aftermarket prop valve like those sold by wilwood.

Comment

but...

even if you do buy the wilwood prop v. doesnt that mean you can just adjust the %? which is different compared to "improving" you brake system, unless this is what you need to complete your desired custom set up.

JDMED

buy my jdm part
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

CALIPER SWAP ISSUES

IVE SWAP MY ACCORD FRONT CALIPERS FOR THE PRELUDE H22A AND HAVE UPGRADED TO 28.2 MM BREMBO SLOTTED DISC USING EBC GRREN STUFF PADS AND UPGRADED MY BRAKE LINES CHANGED THE HUB BEARINGS( NEW) TOOK MY CAR FOR A TEST RUN AND ALL IM GETTING IS PURE SHIMMERING NOT SURE WHAT IVE DONE WRONG IVE JUST GONE OUT TO BREAK IN MY NEW DISC & PADS AND DIDNT GET FAR BEFORE THIS SHHHT STARTED WASNT EVEN DOING 60 MPH ..... IM GOING TO TRY THE OEM MINTEX/FERODO PADS. PLEASE ANY INPUT ......

'' we racing or you just blowing smoke ?''

Comment

Working...
                                X