Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

The Light up needle experiment. Not for beginer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats pretty sick, i like the idea, red is my fav color so i would do a red one, but since my cb is auto. i wouldnt need the shift points, i would do both needles, how difficult so far has it been for you?

Comment

may also do so

Comment

Originally posted by 5spd92 View Post
        when will a full DIY be finished? looked but seems not a specific day, but an estimate would be nice.
        Its taking much longer than I thought. then again this is my first time
        opening cluster. I'm hoping it will be done mid march. so ready for next project. Legend rear seat any one?

Comment

Originally posted by 91hondaaccordlx View Post
          thats pretty sick, i like the idea, red is my fav color so i would do a red one, but since my cb is auto. i wouldnt need the shift points, i would do both needles, how difficult so far has it been for you?
          not hard, since I have done led tail light before. It does require alot of time
          and materials. some electrical knowledge will save you alot of time. or do a short cut which I will show in DIY. but you do have to pay extra cash for your led lighting.

Comment

wow! great idea, too bad some of us is electrically inclined and can't build no circuit board keep up the good work though!

Comment

Wow, that blue LED shot looks awesome.

Comment

Wow how did i miss this thread?

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                very cool, i had the same idea a while back (have a whole bag of clear needles from the jy) but havent bothered to dig into a cluster yet.

what i always expected was for the needles to be dead or out of calibration once the stock needles are pulled off (which normally keep the center post from spinning past zero by resting on that stop peg)

id be really curious to see how this works once you plug it back in. otherwise the boards and work and current prototype look good.. im curious how you held onto the gauge pin while pulling the needle off...
                Hey I've been working on this project for awhile too! I pretty much put it on the side. The needles I've worked with were Eclipse, 98-02 Accord, DC2 Integra and Q45 needles. The problem I had when wiring them up is that fact that the CB needles are so sensitive and VERY easy to break. It doesn't matter how you pull the needles, taking them off the right way is like a 50/50 shot. It's not as forgiving as other Nissan,Toyota etc. needles.

The cluster where I was successful was successful in swapping the needle on the RPM and MPH gauge, I found out that the needle I replaced ended up being too heavy for the gauge needle to move. If you look at the back of the CB needle, you will see that it's kinda filled. I believe this is almost like a "weight" for the needle itself. All the needles I put in that had sucess weighed only slightly heavier than the CB7 needle. I think you need to swap in a needle that weighs equal or less than the CB7 needle to work. Have you tried actually powering the cluster to the car to see if the needles move on their own? You might end up with a dead cluster like me with glowing needles.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                1994 Prelude V-Tec
                1999 CL 3.0
                2000 Prelude
                2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

awsom

ooooooooooooooooo snap please diy soon change to any color sweet

Comment

Beautiful work! I can't wait to see this installed and functioning in the dash. I was thinking though that it may be more versatile for your color changing options if you were to program a simple BASIC Stamp to handle the input for the VTEC, the RPM shiftpoints and heartbeats. Couple that with the RGB leds you were talking about and this would be so sweet.

Great work.

Jesse

Comment

i was just thinking about this today when i was lookin at a spare cluster...then i found this thread! im excited to see how this turns out...i might have to make a trip to the junkyard soon lol

Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #41

92 ex 5spd

Comment

Awesome stuff. I cant wait to see the how to.

Comment

Those gauges are sick how to do you take of the needels without damaging them, did you use some type of special tool or did you just pull them off?

Comment

Small update. just have some time to work on this again so far looking better than ebay EL gauge. back to stock.

and some video. all gauges work properly, just need more calebration on speedle
                            should be good to go.

short Vid.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbfOaQWHTHc
                            what ya think
                            Last edited by blackex; 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakersfan24 View Post
                              Those gauges are sick how to do you take of the needels without damaging them, did you use some type of special tool or did you just pull them off?
                              Never pull off needle. that's how i wast two clusters. I use small cutting tool to cut off plastic needle so that the metal pin stay attach with the speedle/rpm motor.

Comment

thank you for doing this....I'm in tuned...I already have some etching solution, mad soldering skills and creating printed boards
                                New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
                                tsx retrofit
                                f22b dohc boosted
                                custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Working...
                                X