Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F20A2 carb head -> F20A4 PGM-FI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20A2 carb head -> F20A4 PGM-FI

Hello everybody! I'm new here

So I have a 93' CB3 Accord EX and it has a F20A2 carb engine with 509tkm on it. I've been wondering if I could swap the carb head into a PGM-FI one from a F20A4. What's the main difference between these two heads and would it be just bolt on swap? I can get the whole engine + tranny + ecu + the engine harness for 200€. The F20A4 has like 480tkm on it so I though I'll just swap the head instead of swapping the whole thing. I know it's not lots of power but it's something

Btw sorry for my bad bad bad english

To my knowledge, the heads themselves are identical. You should be able to swap on a PGM-FI intake manifold and injectors without removing the head (the camshaft is likely different... not sure, as we never got carbureted models in the US... I have no firsthand experience with anything but the F22A!)

The biggest issue is going to be converting the rest of the car to be compatible with fuel injection. I'm not certain, but I believe there will be a fair amount of wiring involved. You'll also likely need a new fuel pump, and possibly even different fuel lines (again, not certain... evil_demon_01 might be able to help better than I can here.) You'll also need an ECU from a fuel injected model, as well as the injector control unit.

Also, your English is fine. Better than most of the lazy Americans we have on here

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      To my knowledge, the heads themselves are identical. You should be able to swap on a PGM-FI intake manifold and injectors without removing the head (the camshaft is likely different... not sure, as we never got carbureted models in the US... I have no firsthand experience with anything but the F22A!)
      Haha thanks man!

I've heard the inlet ports are differently shaped and there's a slight difference between the carb/PGM-FI inlet valve size. The camshaft is dirrefent IMO.

I'll take the fuel lines, tank and the fuel pump from the same car

Comment

I actually believe the ports are the same. A lot of people buying my stuff do stinger races and one guy was telling me they all had to use carburetors for his class and he bought an F22A head and it bolted to it perfectly so the reverse would work physically as well. Your main issue is the wiring.
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
          I actually believe the ports are the same. A lot of people buying my stuff do stinger races and one guy was telling me they all had to use carburetors for his class and he bought an F22A head and it bolted to it perfectly so the reverse would work physically as well. Your main issue is the wiring.
          Hmm.. Could you list me the parts I need to get from the F20A4 to get the thing running. :| I'm a complete newbie with these things... I've been working on one engine swap (D15B2 -> D16Z5) on my brothers 4gen Civic, so I really don't have a clue how to swap a carburetor to an PGM-FI system. :|

Do I have to tear down my dashboard or do I have to change all the wirings? If so, I'd rather buy another CB with an PGM-FI

Comment

I honestly would not know at all, I just know it bolts up. Only thing I would suggest would be an entire wire harness swap from under the dashboard and the engine bay with a fuel injected harness. Obviously the proper ECU, but beyond that I have no more information.
            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Is there something wrong with your current engine, or are you only doing it because of high km's?

The intake ports are different, The PGM head has cutouts for the injectors, where as the carb head are plain oval ports.

Valve sizes, camshaft and intake ports are different, Also IIRC the compression ratio was different yet the pistons were the same which suggests a different volume Combustion chamber.

Basically IMO the swap came down to it wasn't worth the effort to convert to PGMfi.

The Basics you need :
              Engine wiring harness
              Dash wiring harness
              EFI fuel pump/tank with fuel return lines.
              Injector unit
              ECU
              Exhaust manifold/downpipe with O2 sensors
              Dash cluster

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Thanks guys, I got the answer for my question: the swap ain't really worth the money and time. There's nothing really wrong with my current engine, I've just been wondering if I could swap the head to a PGM-FI one Maybe I can get the extra 20 hp out by doing something else...

Comment

Originally posted by CB3F20A2 View Post
                  Thanks guys, I got the answer for my question: the swap ain't really worth the money and time. There's nothing really wrong with my current engine, I've just been wondering if I could swap the head to a PGM-FI one Maybe I can get the extra 20 hp out by doing something else...
                  Don't underestimate the carb.
                  Sure the specific "Control" of EFI isn't there, but that doesn't mean all is lost.

Putting in a stage 2 camshaft will make a noticeable difference, Combine it with a rejetted carb (Or a Holley with custom adaptor plate) add an exhaust and you'll be over an extra 20 HP, and happy too.

Besides, there really is nothing quite like the sound of a Carb at full throttle

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

We'll be making a 2" exhaust with my pall next friday I've been looking for a better header but haven't really found anything that'll bolt right on.. Are there any "performance headers" out there for the F20-engine or do I have to buy a Prelude header and modify it or what :|

Comment

Originally posted by CB3F20A2 View Post
                      We'll be making a 2" exhaust with my pall next friday I've been looking for a better header but haven't really found anything that'll bolt right on.. Are there any "performance headers" out there for the F20-engine or do I have to buy a Prelude header and modify it or what :|
                      You can get a performance header for an F22, the exhaust ports/studs are the same as the F20.
                      Even the turbo DSM manifold fits . . .

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                        You can get a performance header for an F22, the exhaust ports/studs are the same as the F20.
                        Even the turbo DSM manifold fits . . .
                        Great! I'll get my hands on one soon :3

Comment

CB3F20A2 any up dates on what you have decide to do with you're cb7 ?
                          this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                          How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                          Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Working...
                          X