Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 Accord LX Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 Accord LX Race Car

So for months a friend and I have been slaving over an '86 Mustang to enter in the upcoming Sears Pointless LeMons race at Sears Point.

LeMons is a race series for cars that cost under $500. And the cars have to have a theme. Our mustang was themed after the 1971 Porsche 917 pink pig (google it).

Two weekends ago we got it together and test drove it. It went badly. Really badly. After some wailing and moaning we decided to dump the stang and look for something else. Yep we decided I spent days scouring craigslist and considering multi-state road trips to buy a car that had already raced in LeMons. The advantage of a raced car is that it passed tech inspection so the cage and safety gear is good enough. We got super lucky and found a 1991 Accord for sale just 20 or 30 miles from us. It had been in LeMons for one race in 2013. It's even registered (street legal) through the end of the month! Of course I know nearly nothing about old Accords. My knowledge of 911s from 1965 to 1995 is encyclopedic, but hondas, not so much. I've joined up here where it looks like there is a bank of knowledge and helpful enthusiasts.

So it was advertised as having just one problem. They cross threaded the crown nut on the bottom of the right lower ball joint. After getting it on jack stands I took off the wheels and one of the rear lug nuts was waay overtightened. It sheared right off. I took the drum off and took apart the hub so I could hammer out the broken stud. $1.99 for a new stud and $5.99 for 4 new lug nuts and a bit of banging and it went back together. We found the cross threaded nut on the ball joint and got it off. We're going to use a tap and die to clean the threads and get a new nut on there.

On more thorough inspection we found a few other bits that need work. The exhaust manifold has a crack. The ball joints are pretty hammered. The 14" wheels have some all weather touring tires.

But the on the bright side it looks like someone did some front brake work. The calipers are single piston but they are big and the disks are vented. I don't know if that is stock but with some DOT4 and some race pads they should do the trick.

I'll post again shortly with some pictures. It looks like this forum doesn't host pics so I'll have to update my blog and link to them from there.

In the mean time, as soon as we get that nut on I want to take it to get pre-smogged. If it looks like it could pass I'll have to replace the manifold because the inspect for stuff like that and a leak in the exhaust will fail. Any way that presents an opportunity. I imagine there were several different manifolds available. I'd even guess that this engine might have been in some acura with a proper header on it. So since I have to replace the dang thing anyway, what should I be looking for? Any suggestions where to look?

http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

I'm going to assume you have an F22a1. For the header[if you're on a budget] go out and get yourself the header off an F22a6 found on EX models. They'll net you the same HP as the generic 4 to 1 headers you'll find on eBay or what have you. If you can weld, putting a 2.5" collector on there will net you even more gains. If you can't weld, and you might not find an a6 header that isn't already cracked from age/abuse, DCSports headers are CARB approved. If it doesn't have to be CARB legal, then Megan is the next best thing.

Comment

Here is the interior

Here is the cracked manifold :-(

Look at those pretty welds and that nice spreader plate.

I forgot to get some overall pictures. Later.

Bloody hell, next time I'll resize the photos first.
      M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

which motor?

F22Chris made me think of a good question.

How can I identify which motor I have? Based on looking up the car on automobile-catalogue.com it is probably the 2.2L F22a1.
        Last edited by ukemike; 02-24-2015, 02:24 AM.

Comment

You'll probably want to check out my thread
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=168323

ps: MORE PICS

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
            You'll probably want to check out my thread
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=168323

ps: MORE PICS
            I have seen it, it's fantastic, but I'm only on page 2 at this point.

Comment

How to make 30+ hp for $500 or less.
              Last edited by Joey GT-R; 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM.
              '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
              If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                How can I identify which motor I have?
                It's stamped on the block under the water outlet & right of the tranny. Looking at the header, you have an a1 block. The 30HP for 500 bucks thread is .

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  For the header[if you're on a budget] go out and get yourself the header off an F22a6 found on EX models.
                  This is accurate. But the header on the F22A4 is also good - perhaps even a bit better than the F22A6 header.

Comment

It's cool to see another Lemons car.

F22A4 exhaust manifold is better than the F22A6. I have several of each laying around. A4/A6 downpipes are interchangeable.

Comment

I'm really liking that seat and that roll cage! My car is begging for those.
                      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                        It's stamped on the block under the water outlet & right of the tranny. Looking at the header, you have an a1 block. The 30HP for 500 bucks thread is .
                        I have seen the $500 hp thread. I wouldn't be considering the header if the existing one weren't cracked.

To me success in Lemons means getting to drive lots of laps and getting to do it again in another race. So the most important things are don't crash and don't break it.

This weekend I'm going to the Newark pick-n-pull their website shows that they have about 20 similar vintage accords and a handfull of preludes. I hope to get a header, a lower ball joint, and a rear sway bar. We're working on wheels as well. After that she's ready to roll.

Comment

I wouldn't drive into town on a used lower ball joint from a JY. Not to mention race. Kinda falls in the category of don't wreck it. And when you press the LBJ out you almost always ruin it. Good luck with that.

If your open minded to any advice then go to Honda and get a LBJ.

Comment

more questions

We got a castle nut on the ball joint and took it for a drive. I hit the car wash to rinse off a year's accumulated grime. Then I took it to be smogged. I don't have all the right paperwork from the DMV yet, but I talked him into testing it anyway and it runs really clean. Yay!

But clearly something is up on the right front. It has visibly too much negative camber.

The right front has too much negative camber. We think it was hit. The body structure at all the suspension attachment points looks unbent. The suspension bits also look unbent. We've decided that the upper ball joint is bent and we've ordered front upper control arms for both sides. I hope that sorts it out. While looking I found these:

http://www.protuninglab.com/hoacciinprcr.html

They look like they replace the bushings and bolts where the front upper control arm meets the body. Has anyone used these? It seems like an awfully easy way to get some camber adjustment.

We started looking for some structure in in front bumper. We want to install a tow bar for ease of transport (it is a bit wide for the trailer we have and the bigger wheels will make it too wide). It looked to me like there isn't any steel in the bumper at all. I've googled around and looked at photos and diagrams. I'm sure many of you have had them off. Am I mistaken, is there a real bumper in there?

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                              This weekend I'm going to the Newark pick-n-pull their website shows that they have about 20 similar vintage accords and a handfull of preludes. I hope to get a header, a lower ball joint, and a rear sway bar. After that she's ready to roll.
                              Note that the rear sway bar from the EX won't bolt up to an LX. Honda actually changed the rear cross member. If you have an LX and want a rear sway bar, the easy way is to buy an after market one from someone like Progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X