Double checking my fuel filter prognosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double checking my fuel filter prognosis

A problem I used to have with my car dying when low on fuel (all electrical systems still function) has returned recently. I want to run the symptoms and my prognosis by all of you before I go with my replacement.

Once upon a time, back in 2009 to 2012, the CB would die after being put in neutral rarely and sporadically. I would have to let it sit for about one to two minutes before it would fire up again. This would happen when fuel was low.

Just the other day, it happened again, out of the blue! I was exiting the freeway, it was low on fuel, I put it in neutral, and it died. I pushed it into a nearby gas station, waited two minutes, checked the fuel pressure gauge in the mean time (read zero), and then it would fire right up.

My hypothesis is that the fuel filter is clogging up. I'm sure the AEM 320 lph fuel pump is not helping in that department, which is why it has come back after a three year hiatus.

What do you guys think? I have the Wix replacement, and it's been all those many years with the same filter (since at least 2006), so I feel it is important to replace anyway. However, is a clogged, old fuel filter the culprit for the stated symptoms?
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

First note, stop running the car low on fuel. This causes the fuel pump and filter to suck dirt and sediment into the filter and causes issues like these. So you probably have a clogged filter now. When you put it in neutral I"m guessing the car cannot idle with the limited flow. Assuming its clogged you should also see performance loss when driving too.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

When I was younger, I would run it down to the red line and even below. My dad would talk about how he could go 50 more miles when the 2 gallon light came on, bad advice that's stuck with me, it seems. I've stopped doing that recently, but all that time, it had a FRAM filter, yuck. I'm surprised it lasted all these years.

I took it out last weekend and put a new WIX in there. That make all the difference. New fill up habits: fill up at the 1/4 mark in this car.
      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
      X