Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?? Installing AEM Failsafe Boost/AFR Guage ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?? Installing AEM Failsafe Boost/AFR Guage ??

Hey guys,

I recently purchased the AEM Fail-safe Wide-band Gauge. Now I'm looking to install this in the next few days, but the install instructions reads like 1980 stereo instructions. I've tried searching and google, however, i cannot find an install guide for our cars. Has anyone installed this gauge before and has some words of wisdom ?

Setup:
    CB7 1990 DX
    H22A Fully built Turbo on 11lbs
    Chipped P28 with Demon II installed.
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Originally posted by tutsuo View Post
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased the AEM Fail-safe Wide-band Gauge. Now I'm looking to install this in the next few days, but the install instructions reads like 1980 stereo instructions. I've tried searching and google, however, i cannot find an install guide for our cars. Has anyone installed this gauge before and has some words of wisdom ?

Setup:
    CB7 1990 DX
    H22A Fully built Turbo on 11lbs
    Chipped P28 with Demon II installed.
    no. Is this just a AEM A/F wide-band gauge with built in fail-safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      no. Is this just a AEM A/F wide-band gauge with built in fail-safe?
      Yeah, installing the 02 sensor(wideband) is easy, I'm just looking on how you guys wired it in.
      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

I have S300, I wired mine into the factory O2 wire, granted the wideband signal is cut off at 3.8 volts, but for open loop it will never need anything higher if it's tuned correctly. Other than that the power and ground are easy enough. Are you having issues on how to wire in the fail safe? I believe you can program the gauge to flash in bad conditions, or use the ground signal to tell your ECU to dump fuel or pull spark, or even connect to an electronically controlled waste gate to cut boost. Depending on which route you go you'll have to figure it out as your setup and hardware will be unique to you. IDK if the Demon has a failsafe switch, but I know the S300 monitors engine parameters and can be programmed to go into failsafe.
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
          I have S300, I wired mine into the factory O2 wire, granted the wideband signal is cut off at 3.8 volts, but for open loop it will never need anything higher if it's tuned correctly. Other than that the power and ground are easy enough. Are you having issues on how to wire in the fail safe? I believe you can program the gauge to flash in bad conditions, or use the ground signal to tell your ECU to dump fuel or pull spark, or even connect to an electronically controlled waste gate to cut boost. Depending on which route you go you'll have to figure it out as your setup and hardware will be unique to you. IDK if the Demon has a failsafe switch, but I know the S300 monitors engine parameters and can be programmed to go into failsafe.
          Well a buddy of mine has his hooked up to his ECU at 5v dunno how, iv been reading a bunch and i simply connect it to pin D14 and remove/cut R136 and R138 on the ecu, and wire the 12v into the ignition ? sounds easy enough.

Comment

I may be wrong, I won't do the searching for you, but D14 is only capable of reading high 3 volts. 3.8 I think. You pretty much have 3 options. Run it into D14 and use a 5V sweep on the o2, resulting in the ECU not recognizing anything over 18ish AFR. Or wire it into D14 and set your o2 controller to go from 0-3.8, allowing your ECU to recognize all the way up to 22 AFR, but you'll lose signal resolution. Or wire it into your ELD which support 5V for full range and resolution. I went with the first option. My gauge will visually tell me if I go over 18, but my ECU has no need to go over.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
              I may be wrong, I won't do the searching for you, but D14 is only capable of reading high 3 volts. 3.8 I think. You pretty much have 3 options. Run it into D14 and use a 5V sweep on the o2, resulting in the ECU not recognizing anything over 18ish AFR. Or wire it into D14 and set your o2 controller to go from 0-3.8, allowing your ECU to recognize all the way up to 22 AFR, but you'll lose signal resolution. Or wire it into your ELD which support 5V for full range and resolution. I went with the first option. My gauge will visually tell me if I go over 18, but my ECU has no need to go over.
              "i wont do the searching for you" iv spent like a week straight reading and searching... which is what iv come up with the d14 but you remove 2 resistors that allow D14 to go to 5v i believe. In any case. I don't know what ELD is. I'm just looking for correct AFR for my turbo application. i am tuning it myself so i may need it to read above 18 for at least a day. Your method, 5V sweep?

Comment

The ECU can't read over 18 if you do it that way, but the o2 controller and gauge can.

Comment

Working...
                X