I'm moving to San Antonio!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm moving to San Antonio!

Like, F22Chris, Texas is calling my name. I am moving to San Antonio over the next few days to work at a great school on the north side of town.

I'm stoked to get to meet some of the Texas members on here in the near future, we will see!

Now, I am trying to get a feel for the car scene in Texas, specifically San Antonio. I found San Antonio Raceway, so I can get my 1/4 mile drag on without having to travel all the way to Houston to race at Royal Purple. Now, I am trying to find some clubs that host autocross events.

If you have any information on that, or even general advice for living in Texas, please share! Thank you.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
    Like, F22Chris, Texas is calling my name. I am moving to San Antonio over the next few days to work at a great school on the north side of town.

I'm stoked to get to meet some of the Texas members on here in the near future, we will see!

Now, I am trying to get a feel for the car scene in Texas, specifically San Antonio. I found San Antonio Raceway, so I can get my 1/4 mile drag on without having to travel all the way to Houston to race at Royal Purple. Now, I am trying to find some clubs that host autocross events.

If you have any information on that, or even general advice for living in Texas, please share! Thank you.
    Texas=heat, heat annd more heat but at least San Antonio is not as humid as here in Houston. Welcome to Texas
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I second that. The weather is not what you're used to. You'll be inside quite a bit.

The San Antonio car scene isn't really like what the DFW and Houston participation tends to be. Lots of ricers. I mean tons of them. Or you have modified Chevy trucks, credit-card-purchased WRXs and your standard domestic fare. Certainly better than some places, but not ideal. It's where the people who run Sickbird CNC are based, and they have a hatchback they drag race in San Antonio and Houston, so there's your first Honda buddies for that lifestyle. It's a husband and wife couple who also have a machining business for small CNC Honda parts on the side. I have their -16AN front water neck and thermostat housing.

Anyway, I know the weather is going to be a drastic change for you, but the reduced cost of housing just might make it worth swallowing.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yeah! I was actually looking on Houstons CL looking for a mini truck, and all I seemed to find were Fox Bodies..

It does get very hot. The Arizona summer heat actually melted some of my weather strip on the xB. So every time we go out, I put a tiny bit of Vaseline on the striping so it doesn't stick.

Jarrett, it's funny you say that, because I saw nothing but Subarus and lifted trucks. We'll have to meet up for beer and ice tea.

Comment

Thank you for the input and info, guys. We have visited SA in early June, and it is hot and humid. Luckily, I spent many summers in Indiana, so I was prepared for that. I do believe I can get used to it.

I found San Antonio Imports, but the forum looks really dead, and pretty riced out. I will do some research on Sickbird CNC for sure, also on H-Car Jorge.

I need to find an active dirt oval and Autocross clubs still.
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

In my time in Texas I never got a chance to autocross, but I had looked it up, it seems better around Austin ~1.5 hrs from San Antonio. Especially since the Circuit of the Americas opened up a few years back.

Overall I like San Antonio and would move back to that part of Texas if I had the chance.

(full disclosure, I lived in Del Rio, 2.5 hrs west of San Antonio)
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I'm living up in Denton now, but we're getting I-35E finished up soon. Once this project is done it's off to the next one in Houston, so I'll be back in a month or so. Jerry (coupes) doesn't post on here anymore, but he's a pretty cool dude that's also still somewhat involved with his CB hobby.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
              X