af_1132 : 2003 Honda Pilot LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af_1132 : 2003 Honda Pilot LX

Here it is, the Pilot I have been waiting and preparing for. We are the proud fourth owners since 7-5-16. The Carfax revealed no accidents and 3 owners all in Bend Oregon. Each owner took the car to the dealer for regular maintenance, including timing belt and water pump. The car was traded in to the dealer, and the car was bought by a small local dealer in Fremont through an auction. My inspection revealed no mechanical issues as well. The asking price was $5500. I offered $4900 for a few cosmetic issues, and was countered $5000. That was what I originally wanted to pay, so I was happy with that. Taking the CG5 on long camping trips was yucky, so this will be the reliable long trip SUV!

Miles: 175,500

ENGINE:
    J35A4 (3.5L V6 SHOC ULEV)
    5 Speed Auto (4WD)
    VTM 4-Lock

EXTERIOR:
    Yakima roof racks (no key to take them off, :mad
    Factory tinted rear windows (back 5)

INTERIOR:
    Grey Leather
    3rd Row of Seats (8 capacity)
    Stock Radio (putting it in ASAP)
    7 speaker OEM sound system with sub in the back!

SUSPENSION/WHEELS:
    New Firestone Tires

FUTURE PLANS:
    Reupholster driver's seat
    Remove roof rack (nasty howl at high speeds)
    Fix busted interior light behind A/C + Mode buttons
    Buff out all exterior scuffs

No radio when bought:

Last edited by af_1132; 07-12-2016, 05:20 PM.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

That looks like a lot of SUV for the money!

Nice pickup. A solid double DIN HU with good phone integration would be the perfect icing on the cake for it.

Comment

Thanks bud. I wish I had talked to you before I got all this:

and did this:

It's all good, though. The OE radio drives the OE speakers very well.

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I had to really work on the Pilot after this happened:

My wife ran over a storm drain and flattened both right side tires, and bent the front rim slightly. So then we had it towed to a shop that rotated the left side tires to the rear, put two new matching tires on the front, turned the front rotors, and replaced the pads. It took me no time at all to find that the brakes needed bleeding and the steering wheel is now pointing 15 degrees off center, the steering is sloppy, and the bonehead that put the lugs on used an air gun from the beginning, and one of the studs was ruined:

So, while bleeding the breaks, I had to take a Dremel to the mangled section and cone it off.

Thank goodness it worked! Next, I have to take apart the steering column to figure out the steering issues (no tie rods bent at all, hmm...), and the rear diff. fluid is in need of replacement.

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
          My wife ran over a storm drain and flattened both right side tires, and bent the front rim slightly. So then we had it towed to a shop that rotated the left side tires to the rear, put two new matching tires on the front, turned the front rotors, and replaced the pads. It took me no time at all to find that the brakes needed bleeding and the steering wheel is now pointing 15 degrees off center, the steering is sloppy, and the bonehead that put the lugs on used an air gun from the beginning, and one of the studs was ruined:

I always cringe when I see people using an impact gun to put on lug nuts. The most I'll ever do is spin them on by hand and use an electric impact to get them down to the first clutch kick, which is effectively hand-tight. Then I go over them with my torque wrench.

That's terrible though. I've heard more stories of people losing studs to impact guns and then shops not owning up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            I always cringe when I see people using an impact gun to put on lug nuts. The most I'll ever do is spin them on by hand and use an electric impact to get them down to the first clutch kick, which is effectively hand-tight. Then I go over them with my torque wrench.

That's terrible though. I've heard more stories of people losing studs to impact guns and then shops not owning up to it.
            When I got my Accord, I wanted to invest in a second set of rims and get snow tires so I would have peace of mind in the winter.

Besides the package coming in around $700 for rims and tires, I was not about to swap 4 wheels by hand.

I did research into electric impact guns and saw that people warped their rotors lol.

I said how about I just deal with all season tires and drive slow.

So far so good!

I do want a torque wrench though!

I found a nice one on Amazon for $75

Comment

Working...
            X