Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I believe I have fuel pickup or pump problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe I have fuel pickup or pump problem.

Car has been running fine, with the occassional hard start when it's really cold. 3 weeks ago, I all but ran out of gas on the way home from work one night. 2 days later I had to put 1/2 gallon of mower gas in it to get to the gas station. It dies on me twice on the way, which I attributed to having run out of gas. So the next day, on the way to work, it start the same crap. Just dies going down the road. Engine acts like I turned off the key, but all guages still working. If I coast it in gear for ~10 seconds, it will take back off.. If I pull over, it will restart almost immediately.
    So further testing shows if I drive down hill, it dies. When I step on the brake to slow down it dies. Always restarts in 10-20 seconds, but always dies when gas would be pushed toward the front of the tank. Even did this when it was almost full though.

I'm looking for possible ideas other than pulling the tank first.. I'd hate to pull it for nothing, although I think I'm going to end up there, but I know there are many here who have far more experience with these things than I...

Make sure your battery is secure, and the cables are clean and tight.

My battery wasn't tied down, and it would randomly cut out due to loose and dirty cables. I couldn't figure it out.

The fuel pump isn't a common thing to fail on these cars. It happens, but it's often not the case. The battery is the first place to look, because it's free to clean and tighten the cables, and cheap to replace a battery tiedown. Check your ground connections as well (though I've had broken grounds that have caused odd issues, but never a stall or no-start).

Next place to look is your main relay. That is a common item to fail, though it's much more common in warm weather, and it doesn't react to movement.

After that, ignition components... such as the igniter and coil.

Also, ignition switch problems have been cropping up a lot recently. I don't have much experience with those, unfortunately. Somenoe else could probably help more there, if that could be the problem.

Chances are, it's your battery. If it's not... then the fuel pump IS more likely than the other things I mentioned, I would think. This is a lousy time of year to have to replace that. I hope you have a garage to work in!

Comment

My old CB7 would do a very similar thing when I would take hard corners. It ended up being a fuel pump issue due to rust build up in the fuel tank. Make sure you replace your fuel filter often because that is the best way to check for rust in the fuel tank. I put in a new fuel filter, pump, and tank and everything was back to normal. All together it added up to about $200.

A little tip, Mitsubishi's use a very similar fuel pump to the Walboro's (connectors are the same, filter at the end of the pump is the same as every other Walboro) and the EVO 8 uses 190lph and the EVO 9 uses something like 225lph, go to an EVO forum and look for one there, you can get them for like $50 shipped.

Comment

Yea I figured I'd be pulling the tank for this one.. I can't even make the connection to the battery or the main relay causing an issue when I drive downhill..

I'll pull the tank when I have some time. I found a non-oem fuel pump on ebay for ~$40.. I'm thinking the pickup and/or the connection from pump to line is jacked as it still did this when 3/4 full, just not as bad or as frequent.

Comment

Working...
        X