ENG : Install OEM Block Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG : Install OEM Block Heater

There was a discussion a while back over a block heater someone found installed on their car and didnt know what it was. I was able to get my hands on a Genuine Honda Block Heater Kit from Majestic Honda. The original block heater I bought had the incorrect heating element. I talked to Majestic and worked out a deal to return the part. Shortly after sending the part back I got an email saying that the block heater kit I received was packaged wrong and they would send me the correct part the next day.

Here I am today writing the DIY on how to install it. Its quite simple but I have found a few things to make the install fairly easy.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED
    Block Heater Kit 08T44-SV4-100 $58.00 is the cost of this kit. $74.00 Shipped
    3/8" or 1/2" Drive Ratchet
    3/8"" or 1/2" Drive Small Extension
    19mm Socket
    1/2" Drive 15/16" Socket*
    1/2" Torque Wrench
    3/8" or 1/2" Drive 12mm Socket
    Large Drain Bucket or Pan
    Floor Jack
    1 Gallon of Antifreeze **
    1 Gallon of Distilled Water **
    Breaker/Cheater Bar
    Phillips Screw Driver
    Jack Stands (Recommended but Optional)
    Flashlight (Optional)

*I had to use this size socket because I couldnt find the correct metric socket however you can get away with a 15/16" socket and not damage anything. I believe the correct size socket is a 21mm or 22mm.

** Or substitute for 2 Gallons of 50/50 Mix Antifreeze total.

INSTALLATION
    -Pull the E-Brake so the rear wheels will not move.
    -Chock the rear tires (Optional)
    -Jack up the front of the car. I used the front tow hook on the crossmember.
    -Put your jack stands in place in the designated lift areas near the front of the front doors.
    -Position your drain pan or bucket under the oil filter. (The plug you will be removing is just to the left of the oil filter by about 2".)

-Use your 19mm Socket, small extension and ratchet to turn the plug counter clockwise to remove the plug. You may or may not need your cheater bar at this time.

-Once you get this plug broken loose you will be able to turn it by hand.
    -When you start getting close to having the plug removed position yourself to get out of the way of the stream of water/antifreeze that will follow removal of this plug.
    -Wait for the Coolant to stop flowing.
    -Make sure you have the large washer on the Heating Element before you start the Installation of the part.
    -Replace the Plug you removed with the Heating Element screwing it in in a clockwise direction.
    -Snug the Heating element up finger tight.
    -Use your 15/16" (or 21-22mm) Socket & Torque wrench to tighten the Heating Element down to 45ftlbs.
    -Connect the Heater wire plug into the Heating Element firmly.
    -Proceed to run the heater wire up to the top of the engine compartment by the driver side strut tower.
    -Place a zip tie around the small wire loom running up to strut tower and around the heater wire to hold the heater wire to the loomed wires already existing on the car. (There will be several of these but any will work).

-Run the Heater wire over the strut tower and under the wire harness as pictured.

Run the Heater wire behind the Power Steering Pump Resovior and behind the Washer Fluid Resovior neck.

-Remove the drain pan/bucket with the old coolant in it.
    -Remove the jack stands and lower the car to the ground.

-Run the heater wire behind and over the driver side headlight.

-Run the Heater wire over to the left of the headlight and behind the grille.
    -Use your phillips screw driver to remove the grille. Dont forget the screw behind the grill next to the hood latch.
    -With the grille removed there is a small hole on each upper side of the grille.
    -With slight force it is possible to push the plug through the grille.
    -Reinstall the grille.
    -Install the plug cover.

-There is enough room to tuck the heater wire between the headlight and the radiator support to hide the heater wire.
    -Install a wire tie that came with the kit near the wire harness that the heater wire goes under near the driver side strut tower.
    Inspect your work and make sure everything is secure.

Check out "Effects Of A Block Heater" on post 11.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM.

I am really really tired so I will have to go over this again later when I can think straight to make sure I didnt miss anything.

Not many people will want to do this but the DIY is there if someone needs it.

Comment

The instructions are easy enough but some of the pictures aren't clear at all.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        The instructions are easy enough but some of the pictures aren't clear at all.
        Ill fix it.

Comment

Cool. Also, would you mind telling people what you paid for it through Honda? I know we could all find it at Majestic but you know someone who is curious about doing it for themselves is going to ask.

Unrelated note, pm on its way.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Cool. Also, would you mind telling people what you paid for it through Honda? I know we could all find it at Majestic but you know someone who is curious about doing it for themselves is going to ask.

Unrelated note, pm on its way.
            Ok I fixed it. If there is anything to improve upon just lmk.

And the price was $58.00. $74 Shipped. I will put that in the original post aswell.

Thank you for the input!

Comment

Nice write up Josh!

Also there is a PDF instruction sheet floating around for the heater kit, but it's not really CB7 specific.
              Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
                Nice write up Josh!

Also there is a PDF instruction sheet floating around for the heater kit, but it's not really CB7 specific.
                I can get the full instruction and installation from honda for everyone. Will post it tomorrow.
                STUFF FOR SALE!!!
                1992 Accord Lx.
                1992 Accord Ex.(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
                  Nice write up Josh!

Thank you.
                  I didnt know there was any instructions what so ever on this. Good to know though.

There is a couple things I wanted to add.
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-05-2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FamousFreak View Post
                    I can get the full instruction and installation from honda for everyone. Will post it tomorrow.
                    Did you ever find it?

Comment

Effects of a Block Heater

We all know that block heaters do work but just how well is the question.

This morning I went outside to put wood in the stove (outside wood heater) and I noticed that my 91 didn’t have as much snow on the hood as my 93 did.

So I popped the hood on my 91 and the upper radiator hose is warm to the touch!

Both cars have sat since 12/29/12 (Saturday night).

Here you can see the snow has melted into water.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

With the block heater, how long does it take the engine to get to normal operating temp?
                        -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                        -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                        -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                        -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by GunRunner View Post
                          With the block heater, how long does it take the engine to get to normal operating temp?

To answer your question simply it knocks about 25-35% of the time off.

The coldest it’s been here in SW Missouri so far this winter is 12* and it worked just fine then as well.

I would like to buy an infrared laser and get a little technical with it. Also I want to time the length it takes to idle down with the block heater vs. without it. However the temp outside will always be a variable.

Comment

your other cb looks...frost white

im so jelly of your 2 CB's. cant wait until i can get another one!
                            Last edited by RyanD; 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM.
                            visit vgruk

Comment

2x the work lol
                              Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X